Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
4/22/2019 5:32:20 PM
Posted: 10/8/2014 3:22:05 PM EDT
Job opportunity has come up in the Troy area and I am looking to shop for potential areas to look. I am currently living behind enemy lines after serving 9 years in the Marine Corps and I want to find a place with a nice house with some land. Anyone have any general guidance on the local area? I have two daughters and a wife so schools are important but not a deal breaker.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:28:10 PM EDT
Dang, not many Arfcom peeps in Troy?
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:35:19 PM EDT
Montgomery even?
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:34:33 PM EDT
I wish I could help. I have a son who is looking at Troy University starting fall of next yr. I was wondering about crime, and need to know where to tell him to stay away from. Good luck on your search.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:21:06 PM EDT
I cant help you much with Pike county other than there is good deer hunting there.

The north side seems to be more rural, if that's what you are looking for. Also closer to the two defense company plants.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 8:41:18 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bs295:
I cant help you much with Pike county other than there is good deer hunting there.

The north side seems to be more rural, if that's what you are looking for. Also closer to the two defense company plants.
View Quote

That's where I am looking to work, good deer hunting means a lot to me so thanks
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 11:44:46 PM EDT
My folks live in southwest Pike Co, and I graduated from Troy (State) in 2003. Pretty much there is Troy, Brundidge, and then extremely rural land. Extreme East Montgomery and the town of Pike Rd (Montgomery Co) are pretty nice. The big "trouble areas" of Troy are pretty obvious should you stumble into them, and a college student has very low chances of that happening.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:43:22 AM EDT
I have some friends who live there. I'll make some enquiries and see if I can get some info for you.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:58:31 AM EDT
I was a Troy State student as well. Back when they had all black uniforms and Trojan helmet logos. So much better than the stuff they have now.

The city of Troy is such a small area that the nicer neighborhoods and "bad" areas of town are often times separated only by a small section of woods.

If you are in the country there is really no crime to speak of. Your barn might be broken in or something like that. Recently there were some teenagers stealing ATV's and last year there were some house burglarized.
In town most of the crime revolves around the university. Again nothing serious as a generalization.

If you are going to work at lockheed; I think that is 10 miles or so north of town. Sikorsky is on the northern edge of town. 10-20 minute commute from the center of town at the most. (my wife's old commute was like 10 miles and took 1 hr in Birmingham)

Inside the city limits your girls will go to the city schools (Troy elementary, Troy middle school, Charles Henderson high school) Depending on where you live outside of town the public school options are Goshen elementary / high school, or Pike county. There is also a Private school in Troy that goes from kindergarten to high school (Pike Liberal Arts).

Troy is definitely not behind the lines. If you pass through during hunting season you will see LOTS of people in camo. The sheriff is good about signing pistol permits. And no one cares if you conceal carry (lots easier than open carry).

One thing to note. As soon as you move to Alabama you will be required to align yourself with either Auburn or Alabama; It does not matter if there is a school in your hometown or not. It's Auburn or Alabama choose wisely.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 12:47:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By smaddox:
I was a Troy State student as well. Back when they had all black uniforms and Trojan helmet logos. So much better than the stuff they have now.

The city of Troy is such a small area that the nicer neighborhoods and "bad" areas of town are often times separated only by a small section of woods.

If you are in the country there is really no crime to speak of. Your barn might be broken in or something like that. Recently there were some teenagers stealing ATV's and last year there were some house burglarized.
In town most of the crime revolves around the university. Again nothing serious as a generalization.

If you are going to work at lockheed; I think that is 10 miles or so north of town. Sikorsky is on the northern edge of town. 10-20 minute commute from the center of town at the most. (my wife's old commute was like 10 miles and took 1 hr in Birmingham)

Inside the city limits your girls will go to the city schools (Troy elementary, Troy middle school, Charles Henderson high school) Depending on where you live outside of town the public school options are Goshen elementary / high school, or Pike county. There is also a Private school in Troy that goes from kindergarten to high school (Pike Liberal Arts).

Troy is definitely not behind the lines. If you pass through during hunting season you will see LOTS of people in camo. The sheriff is good about signing pistol permits. And no one cares if you conceal carry (lots easier than open carry).

One thing to note. As soon as you move to Alabama you will be required to align yourself with either Auburn or Alabama; It does not matter if there is a school in your hometown or not. It's Auburn or Alabama choose wisely.
View Quote

I do believe a gentleman wearing a war eagle shirt challenged a another gentleman wearing a Roll Tide shirt to a pistol duel on the flight into Montgomery. I cannot be sure due to my inexperience with the southern accent though.

I had a great morning and I hope a great interview, I am going to hit a local BBQ place my buddy told me about and then drive around and check out the area.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 12:48:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By shooter_john:
My folks live in southwest Pike Co, and I graduated from Troy (State) in 2003. Pretty much there is Troy, Brundidge, and then extremely rural land. Extreme East Montgomery and the town of Pike Rd (Montgomery Co) are pretty nice. The big "trouble areas" of Troy are pretty obvious should you stumble into them, and a college student has very low chances of that happening.
View Quote

Folks I interviewed with said Pike Road was where a lot of folks lived.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:51:07 AM EDT
MLS listings for Pike County

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:08:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By smaddox:
View Quote

I was in the last class (Dec 03) to receive Troy State University diplomas, and had to suffer through the uniform changes while I was a student. I agree, the old stuff was much better.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 4:06:07 PM EDT
Enterprise
30 minutes to troy
25 minutes to dothan
Best schools in the area
But
More expensive for housing
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:46:06 AM EDT
All thats left to do is wait and see. Drove around Pike road area. Some real nice propeties and the woods were nice.
Funny side story, the security guard at the location I interviewed saw my NYS drivers licsense and the first words out of his mouth were "When are you folks gonna get rid of Cuomo?"to which I responded "why do you think I am interviewing down here?" It set my mood perfect for my interview and I beleive I did really well on it. Thanks Security Guy wherever you are.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:46:19 PM EDT
Welp, I guess I didn't do as well as I thought. No freedom for me.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:30:05 PM EDT
I've been there many times. Sucks to not getting the job.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:35:56 PM EDT
Job offer...Not where I need it to be but in negotiations. Shit turned around all of sudden.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:32:02 PM EDT
Hope it works out for you
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:26:25 PM EDT
Pretty excited. I would really like to escape from NY
Top Top