Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2004 11:29:11 AM EDT
Hi, I'm new. hasingable to shoot an AR.

For example, the Fairfax Rod & Gun Club. Membership is currently full. But even if there were openings, prospective members require two sponsors that are already members. How is one able to become acquainted with members if you can't even join them?

The Quantico Shooting Club associate membership is currently full and the waiting list is very impressive. Sponsorship is required.

The Izaak Walton League is currently full. The next oppurtunity to join if openings become available is March 2005.

The National Sportsman Association website contains no useful information for non-members.

That pretty much covers all of the private ranges. As for the public ranges...

The Bull Run Shooting Center appears to be shotgun-only.

Shooter's Paradise allows .223, but at 25 yards, the range is too short.

I like Blue Ridge Arsenal for pistol use, but they require frangible ammunition for AR's and the range is too short.

That seems to be all there is in my area. It appears as though the NRA range is my one and only option. Is it worth owning an AR just to shoot it indoors at 50 yards? Are there any other options that I may have missed? Last summer while attending summer school at Virginia Tech, I went to the National Jefferson Forest range every day. I enjoyed the freedom of using steel auto-poppers for pistol practice. I would love to be able to do the same with a new rifle. I am willing to drive about an hour. Any suggestions? Or should I just give up on the idea of owning an AR?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:52:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't give up on the idea of owning an AR.  Just modify your expectations.  The NRA is a great place to pop off rounds.  If you're firing off-hand, that's about as long as it practical anyway.  Get your name on the list of Quantico and you'll be amazed how time will fly.  Finally, you may not be able to travel to the National Forest every weekend, but make plans for doing it once a month or so.

There's plenty of fun stuff with the AR that doesn't require 100 yards and tannerite.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#2]
THere are 2 Izaak Walton clubs in NOVA that I am aware of.  I belong to the Arlington-Fairfax chapter.  The other is the Loudoun Co. chapter.  I don't know about the Loudoun Co. chapter, but the Arlington-Fairfax chapter periodically has membership drives every couple months.  I've attached the websites below.  I know for the Arl-Ffx chapter, i only had to wait a month or two to join, so I don't think the waiting list is that long.  Try sending an e-mail to the membership chairman to ask when the next membership meeting is.  The contact info should be on the site somewhere.  Good Luck!

www.arlingtonfairfax-iwla.org/
www.loudouniwla.org/
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:25:41 PM EDT
[#3]
NRA is actually pretty good for AR shooting.

Clark Brothers is available, but it gets expensive  since they make you buy the ammo and targets from them.

You can always come out to Sleepy Creek with us.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:07:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#5]
How about the range east of Fredericksburg?  They usually have an open house yearly and I believe Shivan joined last year.  

The only other option is to drive a distance or buy your own land which will probably be some distance away.

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:04:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry I'm no longer from VA but I grew up there.  I shot at the Issac Walton League,  they had some really stupid regs no man shaped targets etc, but a nice range.  I would get on the list.

I shot a lot at Clark Brothers too, Wen I went I would buy SOME ammo from them but only about half of what I would shoot.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:10:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Vihn There is a free to use WMA range out in Faquier. That is open Sept.1 It is free to use and has a 100 yd run so there is your distance issue all they say on their website is no AP or API ammo so I think you would be good there.Here is a link to the wildlife area website:
www.dgif.state.va.us/hunting/WMA/cf_phelps.html

IF any one would like to go out there please let me know and I would love to go and have some folks to go with.

VA-Spook
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:27:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Welcome FNG!

You've certainly checked out the ranges in the area.  When you go to Blue Ridge Arsenal ask Tim (our Hydguy) to introduce us if I'm there.  Quantico's list moves quickly and if you go down to Quantico to visit stop by Quantico Arms' in the Town of Quantico and chat it up.  I'm sure you'll meet someone to sponsor you.  If my membership is current I'll sponsor you so IM me.

Don't forget to get on the VA list of members that Danny keeps.

w-w
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:05:16 PM EDT
[#9]
There is another Issac Walton off Route 50 between Boyce and Winchester.

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:22:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Vihn There is a free to use WMA range out in Faquier. That is open Sept.1 It is free to use and has a 100 yd run so there is your distance issue all they say on their website is no AP or API ammo so I think you would be good there.Here is a link to the wildlife area website:
www.dgif.state.va.us/hunting/WMA/cf_phelps.html

IF any one would like to go out there please let me know and I would love to go and have some folks to go with.

VA-Spook

Guess I'll pass on that range.  Here is one of their rules.

THE USE OF FULLY AUTOMATIC FIREARMS, TRACERS, INCENDIARY AMMO OR ARMOR PIERCING
AMMUNITION IS PROHIBITED.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:31:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Vinh,

The wait for the IWLA Arlington-Fairfax chapter will most probably be until March since all of their membership slots are probably full at this time of year.  Once the new year rolls around, we have a short period of time to renew before our slots are taken back.  If you get on the list now, there would probably be a good chance to get in during the March openings.

As for Quantico, yea the list has gotten quite long.  If you're military (active or retired) or a DoD Civilian there is no waiting list.  The up side is there is not a cheaper place to shoot in the area.  The down side is if you have to go on the list it can be worse than IWLA.  Memberships run the calendar year and if the full members don't renew right away, then the ratio goes askew and no new associates get in.  I don't know exactly where you are but I shoot there most weekends and could get you in as a guest if you would like (six dollar daily fee for guests).

Rick
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Thank you very much for the suggestions!

I think I will just go ahead and try the NRA range and also try to get into Izaak Walton.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top