Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2008 1:37:27 PM EDT
We decided a few weeks ago to do an over night camp out. Due to rain last weenend it got pushed back a week. We left the house around 6 pm, drove south for about and hour and we were there. The plan was start the fire, set up camp , cook and eat dinner, work on their Duty to God Badge and then light's out. All went as planned pretty me. With teh fire started and the camp set up, I snuck away with one of the boys to make a quick stand in the last hour of light. We walked about 1/2 a mile and made a stand. I was able to get the coyotes to howl but no takers. Back to camp to cook dinner . Most had tinfoil dinners (or as we call them hobo dinners). I opted for a more gormet selection. I buttered 4 pieces of Russian Rye and tosted them butter side down, mayo and mustard in side, then cooked a couple of thin cut NY steaks to go inside. MMMMM, mmmmm Good.  After dinner, the boys worked on their Duty to God badges as we enjoyed the fire and the stars. Once the fire burned out it was off to bed.

The morning came (earlier for some of us). I cant be out in the desert and not be up early. I awoke at 5:30 (already light), got dressed (Blue jeans and white T-shirt), grabbed the AR and the Scorpion and took a walk. About 400 yrds from camp I found a likely spot to try my hand before every one awoke.  Started the stand with some puppy distress 2 then worked into some adult cottontail. At about the 20 minute mark, I was bout done . I muted the caller and sat for a couple of minutes. I caught some movement out in front of me and I just sat tight. The coyote worked it's way through the thick grease woods and Joshua trees to the opposite edge of the wash looking for the rabbit. Instead he got a hot lead injection. I packed up the call and the coyote and haulled it back to camp just as every one was getting up. I told them I got breakfast and who was going to cook?  :) Let me tell you, these here is city boys. :D
this is a heavily pressured area where sucesses are far and few between.

We broke camp, ate a breakfast of crumb doughnuts , milk and OJ. I had some yogurt I brought along. The deal for the day was each boy had to learn a lashing , demonstrate it and then every one else had to do it as well. All in all the 3 boys (and one visiter) learned and taught 3 lashings.  :thumb: For their reward they got to go shooting. Down the road a bit to a clearing with a hill for a back drop. The boys got their fill of shooting Here is a list of what they had their pick of. I think they tried all of them.
Ruger 10/22 , AR 223 M4, Remington 1100 12 gauge, S&W 686 (light 38 wad cutter loads), Glock 27 40 S&W, Remington pump 12 gauge with 6 position Ar stock and pistol grip, and an NEF 223. Most of the boys were having a blast. Taking turns shooting and loading magazines. 2 adults meant only 2 boys shooting at a time to keep it safe.  One of the boys is rather tall for only being 13. He's over 6 ft and had a hard time shooting the 2 223 rifles. He was tring to shoot off of sticks and a chair and creeped up to much on the scope of the NEF and paid for it. I think my doctoring skills looked pretty good.

After being patched up he went back to shooting sticking with pistols and putting a few more rounds through the AR and pump shotgun shooting off hand.
On our way home I stopped by Rotten Ronnie's (McDonalds) and got them all an ice cream sunday.

All in all , I think the boys had a great time (aside from one of them being sick all night and day. Hopefully there will be many more to come.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:05:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn, between Wolfpack trying to kill the kid on the dirtbike and you tattooing his forehead with the scope, the scouts are in danger of becoming endangered
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Why would you suck away with one of the boys?

How's that Scorpion working out for you?
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:54:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Good catch Animus. Snuck. The scorpion works as advertised. If I did alot of walking , It would probably be my fav. But I usually just use it for night hunting, and use the FX5 for my day calling or sometimes the scorpion and the sp55 speaker.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:55:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Back in my younger days before becoming an Eagle Scout our Troop 22 would go on a campout 1-2 times a month.  Our leaders were great, I think it's awesome that you're doing it for the young ones now.  Some of my best experiences and memories were made going hiking/camping/hunting.  Another camp out you may want to try is the old ore car mine.

www.localhikes.com/Hikes/AnniversaryNarrows_4120.asp

We usually drove in, rather than hiking and camped there over night.  First thing in the morning we'd hike in and explore the mines a bit.  Was quite a bit of fun.  If you haven't been out there you should check it out.  Saw a few fuzzies and a yote last time I was there.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:37:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:59:20 PM EDT
[#6]
WTG Dude,learn them kids young.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top