Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/18/2008 1:44:46 PM EST
I have relatives in North Carolina I might come to visit in the next few weeks.

They own several rifles, including a DPMS .308 AR and have a farm that they can shoot/target practice freely on.

I was thinking of taking my AR-15 with me when I visit.

Heres the question: what do I have to do legally to transport the gun out of state?

Obviously I don't want to break any laws.

I'll be traveling by car, so does that mean I can simply store it unloaded in the trunk and drive there with it?

Is there anyone I have to contact either in our state or in NC in order to transport the gun with across state lines or it no big deal?

I won't be leaving there or selling it, just taking it with me there and back.

What do I need to do in order to take my rifle with me legally.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 1:52:23 PM EST
IF the gun is legal in that state then U may bring it in state and use it. Traveling I would not have it loaded or have ammo in the same case with it. South Carolina has some strick laws with loaded guns in the car that I have heard off.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:21:30 PM EST

Originally Posted By M4-TUNA:
IF the gun is legal in that state then U may bring it in state and use it. Traveling I would not have it loaded or have ammo in the same case with it. South Carolina has some strick laws with loaded guns in the car that I have heard off.

Thanks.

I guess if I go I'll just make sure all the ammo is in the backseat with the gun in the trunk.

I mostly wanted to be sure it woulldn't require any kind of paperwork which I guess it looks like it doesn't.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:04:37 AM EST
I just returned today from a visit into North Carolina. I brought my CCW with me, and as the Florida Reciprocity is good in Georgia, and North Carolina, I was covered, but when I went through South Carolina, I placed my CCW in the Suitcase, and kept the Mags in the GLovebox. Pulled into the first rest area across the State line to pull it back out again, both ways.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:52:14 PM EST
For a Rifle just keep it unloaded in a case in the Trunk or the Back of a SUV or Pickup where it is out of reach. If it's legal where you are taking it then you will be fine.

I transported my AR, a 30-30, and a pistol from FL to OK last year along with a few hundred rounds of ammo with no problems. The only time it can be a problem is if you are travelling through places like NY, IL, CA, DC, etc. where they have strict Gun Control Laws. It is legal to transport through states where such items are not legal as long as that place is not your destination but that may not stop some LEO from giving a bunch of shit in one of thse states and possibly siezing your weapons.

But if you are in the South where all of the states are Free then it's no big deal.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:37:01 PM EST

Originally Posted By NewFloridaEnthusiast:
I have relatives in North Carolina I might come to visit in the next few weeks.

They own several rifles, including a DPMS .308 AR and have a farm that they can shoot/target practice freely on.

I was thinking of taking my AR-15 with me when I visit.

Heres the question: what do I have to do legally to transport the gun out of state?

Obviously I don't want to break any laws.

I'll be traveling by car, so does that mean I can simply store it unloaded in the trunk and drive there with it?

Is there anyone I have to contact either in our state or in NC in order to transport the gun with across state lines or it no big deal?

I won't be leaving there or selling it, just taking it with me there and back.

What do I need to do in order to take my rifle with me legally.

According to the NRA website :

( http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=60 )

Transporting Firearms During Travel

A provision of federal law serves as a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel.

Notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm if the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Federal law prohibits the carrying of any firearm, concealed or unconcealed, on or about the person or in carry-on baggage while aboard an aircraft.The Transportation Security Administration(TSA) has established certain requirements for transporting firearms and ammunition. Firearms must be carried in a locked hard sided case. Ammunition must be declared and can be transported in checked baggage or in the same container as the firearm as long the firearm is unloaded.

Any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce must deliver the unloaded firearm into custody of the pilot, captain, conductor, or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip.

Top Top