Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2006 3:01:06 PM EDT
I drive a Pick-up (imagine that a gun owner with a Pick-up!), it has an open bed and is not a crew cab or extended cab, in other words there is no room in the cab for gear or a weapon.  The bed is open, there is a tool box bolted to the bed which is lockable.  Usually when I go to the range with my AW I put the AW in a locked hard case then lock it in the tool box.  Also in the tool box goes a smaller locked box containing magazines and cartridges.  

In Kalifornia is it legal to use a soft case instead of the locked hard case?  Would the soft case need to be locked?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

In Kalifornia is it legal to use a soft case instead of the locked hard case?  Would the soft case need to be locked?

Thanks

Yes and yes. As long as it's locked you're good to go. There's no law saying it has to be a hard case.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 6:50:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Just needs to be in a locked case and unloaded.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#3]
If it is in a soft case with a gunlock on the gun, is that sufficient?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:19:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

yes
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 11:14:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Absolutely.

I use el cheapo luggage locks on my softcases all the time.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:20:16 AM EDT
[#6]
While we are lacking a true definition of a case, would a long mylar bag locked at one end be sufficient for a case?  Or how about a long paper bag locked at one end and sealed at the other?  How about a gun sock locked at one end?
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:57:22 PM EDT
[#7]
height=8
Quoted:
While we are lacking a true definition of a case, would a long mylar bag locked at one end be sufficient for a case?  Or how about a long paper bag locked at one end and sealed at the other?  How about a gun sock locked at one end?

I guess it all depends who pulls you over.

I currently carry my kalif "AW" in a hard locked Aluminum case, assuming better safe than sorry.  If I get pulled over, all my gear is locked (rifle, ammunition, and magazines) and are not "readily accessible".  It may be overkill, but in our current Kalif climate you can't be too careful.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top