Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2003 10:25:12 AM EDT
My girlfriend lives in CT and her uncle in PA. When she goes to visit her uncle and grandparents she drives through NJ. I just got her a .22 rifle, and she will be getting a handgun soon, and I know she's gonna want to show them off to her uncle heh. I looked on the NRA state law info and didn't see anything about transporting firearms through NJ, though I know it should be fine through NY state right?

If we have the guns locked up and in the trunk, would it be ok to take them through NJ?
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 10:38:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Here you go:

www.njsp.org/about/fire_trans.html

Crystal clear and simple to comply.  (and, straight from the source!)
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 10:08:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you very much! What I thought it was, so we should be fine then.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 5:11:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Bridger,
I am a Cop in NJ.  If Conn. has some sort of Firearms ID card and/or the receipt for the gun take that with you.  It must be locked and unloaded in the trunk.  The ammo must be in the cab of the vehicle seperate from the gun.  If you are stopped by the Police, do not tell them you have a gun. Be polite, have your paper work seperate from were the ammo is.  If the Cop asks to search your car, do not give him permission.  He/she needs to get a warrant. Obey all traffic laws to avoid being stopped.  Make sure your auto has no lights out or damaged parts that would catch the attention of the Police. Try to dress in business attire, that would also keep the eyes of the police off you.  Enjoy your trip.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 9:53:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, we're young (both turning 21 this fall/winter) so maybe business attire would make us stand out heh. I'll remind her to take it easy through NJ then, it's a short portion of the trip anyway.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 10:04:26 AM EDT
[#6]
FWIW, the last time I check'd, NJ seizes more firearms than any other state in the USA, mostly from those stopped while passing thru, hence the comments above to say NUTHIN, where carrying firearms thru NJ is concerned.

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top