Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2005 12:43:26 PM EDT
OK, so its a done deal. Miss Counterstrike will be moving to Flagstaff in the next four weeks. I will be stuck in NY for a few months. How are we going to get our guns to Arizona?

We will use round numbers, lets say I have 10 long guns and 10 handguns. The company she works for is sending movers out to pack us up and send our stuff out. The problem is that everyone is telling me that movers will not want to pack and ship firearms and ammunition. Even if they do I don't know if I like that idea. We are not supposed to pack anything ourselves.

Can I just ship everything from NY to AZ and let Miss Counterstrike pick them up? What will she need to pick up the handguns? (what I can find says AZ driver license only) If I am sending 20 firearms out then do I have to pay for 20 transfers? Because really this is from us to us.

I will be making the drive from NY to AZ in Feb or March but I don't think loading my soft top jeep with 20 guns is a good idea.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:32:09 PM EDT
as far as I know, as long as you are shipping to yourself an FFL isn't necessary. I would think as long as you are shipping from yourself to yourself, you would only need the ID to sign for the package and should be set after that. I am not a lawyer however and could be wrong, but that is the impression I am under
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:23:43 PM EDT
If you or she is driving a vehicle, just case them and carry them that way.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:48:48 PM EDT
A few years back, I carried 60+ from my home in Az to a new home in Mississippi - in the back of a pickup. Never got stopped and never had any problems. It did bother me that I passed through El Reno, Oklahoma in the middle of the night, in an Arizona licensed pickup, while Timothy McVay was awaiting trial at the federal pen there - but still, no problems. Brought them back a year later.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:52:04 PM EDT
Ship them to yourself. No transfer=no FFL needed.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 10:32:20 PM EDT
Just a couple of my thoughts:
Shipping 20+ weapons during the Christmas season rush is a trajedy waiting to happen.
Loss, damage, insurance, and shipping cost plus the worry...

Not to sound too tinfoil, but declaring 20+ weapons for shipping will probably raise a red flag or two, All you need is a snitch in the system and a visit from an alphabet agency could be in your future.

Maybe get a friend to go with you, and drive staight through without stopping?
Hell buying the guy a plane ticket home would probably cost less than shipping.

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:53:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/13/2005 2:00:27 AM EDT by sonofbp]
Are the movers taking the wifes car with them?

If they are box up everything and pack them into her locked vehicle.
When they get to the new address she can use her key to let the movers unload them into the house.

If not,
Do you have a safe that they will be moving?

If they are and you have a safe, leave the guns wrapped up in towels in your safe.

No safe?

Dissassemble the longer of the log guns and pack everything into boxes for the move.
Last time I moved I picked up one of those boxes with a curtain rod in it that is about 4ft tall, 2.5ft wide, and 2 ft deep.
I put all the guns into hard/soft cases and put them into the box, filled up the depressing amount dead air with popcorn and voila.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:31:23 AM EDT
I moved here a few years back and it's quite simple to move firearms. I drove mine out and that was that. We have no firearm registration here, so there is no need to go through an FFL or otherwise inform the state of your weapons.

A soft top jeep may not be the best way to move a bunch of firearms. Have you considered an enclosed uhaul trailer? Shipping all of that via UPS or FedEx is likely to cost more than getting a hitch installed on your jeep and renting a trailer for a one way trip.

Once you get here, you will need to find a CCW class and get yours. I'm thinking most people who already have 20ish guns might need a couple more, and the CCW means you fill out the 4473, pay and take your stuff with you.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:38:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/13/2005 9:38:57 AM EDT by Garryowen]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:41:41 AM EDT
Rent a small ryder or other trailer and bring them yourself. They all allow the use of a padlock. It might not be ideal, but at least you are in charge of them.
Or, take Gary up on his offer. That man and his business are TOP NOTCH.
Top Top