Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 3:58:29 AM EDT
Hi guys, my girlfriend is looking into transferring to the Atlanta area from New York City.  I need you guys to give me some info on good/bad places to live and info on weather and traffic problems/places to avoid.  Basically, any info you can give me on life in Atlanta would be greatly appreciated.  I only go to Atlanta occasionally to visit my favorite gun and surplus stores, so I don't know that much about life there.  Thanks
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:20:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I would love to help but I am teh suck at this stuff. Welcome to Jawja(or Atlanta) anyways!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#2]
First, in what part of town will she be working?  Once that is known, we can go from there.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends on what you want.  If you want nice family environment then I would recomend Alpharetta or Cumming area.  If you want younger crowd with fun things for single/semisingle I would say Buckhead, Midtown, Vinings.  Those are the areas I have expreience with.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:13:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the info so far guys.  As for where she will be working, she has options for Alpharetta, Marietta, Duluth, Atlanta...maybe others.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:38:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Everything down here sucks. Stay where you are and you'll be happier.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:49:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I would probably pick the Marietta. There are some nice, affordable areas to live in within 15 miles and you shouldn't have to hit any interstate traffic.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:54:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the info so far guys.  As for where she will be working, she has options for Alpharetta, Marietta, Duluth, Atlanta...maybe others.

Tell her to go for Duluth.

Alpharetta=godawful traffic.

Marietta=godawful traffic and is now part of Mexico.

Atlanta itself=corrupt govt and infrastructure is going to hell.

Duluth:
I work in Duluth, live in Barrow, out in the country.  If she opted for Duluth, she could live in northern Gwinnett, western Barrow, or southern Hall and be at work in 30 min.  Traffic doesn't usually back up as far as Duluth.  I know that I exit at Georgia 120 just as the traffic is starting to back up.  That's in the morning.  If I am working other shifts, I usually have traffic on I-85 southbound, but it is always moving at 70+.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:10:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I would probably pick the Marietta. There are some nice, affordable areas to live in within 15 miles and you shouldn't have to hit any interstate traffic.

If you are a family man East Cobb is the way to go. Govt schools are acceptable by national standards.

Nationally-ranked private school can run up to $6k/child/yr elsewhere.

East Cobb has -0- nightlife unless you fancy yourself the MILF hunter, which will get you an early dirt nap around my neighborhood. Housing is still affordable on the western edge if you're not looking for a starter mansion. I haven't found a bar in E. Cobb that can keep my beer glass full on a Sunday. That being said I travel with concealed handguns and nobody notices or cares with my easily obtainable permit.

Buckhead is nice but overpriced. A friend just bought a 1,500 sq. ft. ranch for $700k there. Get used to the gunfire when the bars close, and get a good security system for your perimeter. Fulton Co will not sign off on Class 3 forms.

Moving farther north the Kennesaw, you can expect an hour drive to Marietta from there in traffic. Downtown is another hour. Cumming, forget it. You can spend 2 hours on 400 and not even hit the perimeter if it is raining. Duluth is on I85, which is famous for daily traffic-snarling pile-ups on the way to downtown.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:14:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you are a family man East Cobb is the way to go. Govt schools are acceptable by national standards.

Nationally-ranked private school can run up to $6k/child/yr elsewhere.

East Cobb has -0- nightlife unless you fancy yourself the MILF hunter, which will get you an early dirt nap around my neighborhood. Housing is still affordable on the western edge if you're not looking for a starter mansion. I haven't found a bar in E. Cobb that can keep my beer glass full on a Sunday. That being said I travel with concealed handguns and nobody notices or cares with my easily obtainable permit.

Buckhead is nice but overpriced. A friend just bought a 1,500 sq. ft. ranch for $700k there. Get used to the gunfire when the bars close, and get a good security system for your perimeter. Fulton Co will not sign off on Class 3 forms.

Moving farther north the Kennesaw, you can expect an hour drive to Marietta from there in traffic. Downtown is another hour. Cumming, forget it. You can spend 2 hours on 400 and not even hit the perimeter if it is raining. Duluth is on I85, which is famous for daily traffic-snarling pile-ups on the way to downtown.

Buckhead has changed.  I would not live there now.

I-85 may be famous for traffic snarls, but not as far up as Duluth, which is one of her work options.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:39:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I work in Duluth, live in Barrow, out in the country.  If she opted for Duluth, she could live in northern Gwinnett, western Barrow, or southern Hall and be at work in 30 min.  Traffic doesn't usually back up as far as Duluth.  I know that I exit at Georgia 120 just as the traffic is starting to back up.

Where do you work?  I work right there at Satellite and 120. We should have a beer.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:20:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Marietta=now part of Mexico.

Well, thank god Duluth/Gwinnett isn't.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:56:49 PM EDT
[#12]
'Cept the weather...

Quoted:
Everything down here sucks. Stay where you are and you'll be happier.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:00:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Jaime Cartero Blvd.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:21:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Marietta=godawful traffic

Ok, that was weird...disregardless...traffic is not too bad if you know a few key surface roads.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:34:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:41:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Geez...post 9000 BookHound.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:50:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:53:11 AM EDT
[#18]
The Spanish isn't a problem.  She is from El Salvador and speaks it fluently.  However, I'm sure she wouldn't want to live in an area where her tires would get stolen daily.  Thanks again, guys, you're very helpful.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:25:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:44:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Bookhound,

No offense taken at all, my wife speaks Portuguese not Spanish

Funny because the good aliens hate the bad ones almost as much as we do.  They also feel that their a drag on society and they hate them more because they get a bad name for themselves being from the same countries as these ingrates.  I say make um legal or get them the hell outa my country.  

Marietta actualy has a population of about 10,000 Brazilians ontop of the mexicans and thats why my wife and I moved out of that area.  

As far as traffic goes, lets get REAL, this is Atlanta.  Traffic aint peaches and cream no  matter where you live so suck it up and deal with it wherever you live.  Alpharetta is a great place to live aspecialy for a Family environment.  I wouldnt live anywhere else in Metro Atlanta.  If you plan on having kids, stay the hell away from Gwinnette Co.  I went to school through those systems and can tell you first hand their terrible.

Thats just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:31:29 AM EDT
[#21]
I wasn't offended by the Spanish comments.  I know exactly what you were talking about and she wouldn't want to live in that environment either.  That's why I said she wouldn't want to live somewhere that her tires would get stolen every day...or worse.  She is an office-working professional who wants quality living as crime-free as she can get...and I definitely want that for her.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:49:31 AM EDT
[#22]
another option is the Snellville/Loganville area.  Sometimes Traffic on 78 can suck but if you know the back roads it's not that bad.  Also Snellville/Loganville area is a growing area and real estate is moderately prices.  My house had approx 50k in equity when I purchased it, and I haven't had to worry about any crime of some sort.  Infact I have personally seen Snellville PD's quick response time to a call, and every officer in my area I have ever dealt with, has been polite and professional.  Barrow County Sherriff's office is another story.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I work in Duluth, live in Barrow, out in the country.  If she opted for Duluth, she could live in northern Gwinnett, western Barrow, or southern Hall and be at work in 30 min.  Traffic doesn't usually back up as far as Duluth.  I know that I exit at Georgia 120 just as the traffic is starting to back up.

Where do you work?  I work right there at Satellite and 120. We should have a beer.

Right up the hill, 120 and Meadow Church Way.  I work 1300 to 2100.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Marietta=now part of Mexico.

Well, thank god Duluth/Gwinnett isn't.  

Don't care.  I live in Barrow.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:26:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Prices are pretty good down south of Atlanta, and since I work at the airport.....it works out for me!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:40:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Killa goddanm Illegal-  they suck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top