Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 1/31/2006 6:54:11 AM EST
Just checking... but in Maryland it is legal to sell or transfer a non-regulated firearm FTF. (i.e. Marlin 336 .30). Sale does not need to go through State Police or FFL.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:42:12 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:42:24 PM EST

Originally Posted By BBQMAN:
Regulated or not it has to go through an FFL or the MDSP for a NICS check. Advantage, you get to take it home that day at least. No FTF in MD.

Maybe something has changed recently that I'm not aware of, but when did this take effect? Do you have any annotated codes I can reference in the law library?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:04:12 AM EST
C'mon, BBQ, say it aint so . . .

AFAIK, it has always been OK to FTF anything here in the 'free state' but a handgun, restricted firearm or C-III.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:07:39 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 7:25:56 AM EST by Forest]

Originally Posted By BBQMAN:
Regulated or not it has to go through an FFL or the MDSP for a NICS check. Advantage, you get to take it home that day at least. No FTF in MD.

My understanding is non regulated weapons can be sold face to face. It's the regulated stuff (handguns/"assault Weapons") which require the waiting period must go through an FFL or MSP.

Edited to add. I just went through the state code in LexisNexis and could only find regulations pertaining to the sale of regulated firearms or sales to persons who live in neighboring states.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:42:14 AM EST
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:05:41 PM EST
Stopped in at local State Police barracks to transfer a handgun and asked about transfer of non-regulated firearm. Duty Officer said he had never done any paperwork to transfer a rifle but suggested calling Licensing in Jessup to make sure. Will post when I find out anything new but I thought only regulated firearms needed to go through MSP or FFL.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:36:02 PM EST
Please remember guys that this includes a "loan". In other words, if a handgun or any gun covered by "pistol papers" leaves your possession for more than 24 hours, it has been "transferred" and that can ONLY be done with a waiting period. Key concept is "transfer" and it follows the 24 hour rule.

For example, if you want to loan your room mate, father, friend, or who ever your pistol or AR-15, it has to go to state police or dealer and then undergo the waiting period. Then, they can pick it up. When they give it back to you, then you have to do the same thing over again. I lived in MD mostly from 81 to 97 and had to follow those laws, but I did not like them one bit.

Sucks that they "closed the gunshow loophole" - but the current MD law is the result of it.


Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:09:42 PM EST
I recently did a transfer of a new Berreta .270 rifle FTF, I called the State police and they said, and I might add quite abrublty, that ATF handles those, I checked ATF's site and according to them as long is it is not a regulated firearm a simple transfer was perfectly fine, we did however do a typed and signed transfer by both parties.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:11:54 PM EST
According to the Maryland State Police Licensing division, a sale or transfer of a non-regulated firearm does not require the participants to do anything other than transfer the firearm. For your own protection you may want to do a bill of sale or write up a transfer document signed by both parties. There are no required state forms or registration that need to be filed.
Top Top