Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/9/2006 6:03:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/9/2006 6:06:41 AM EDT by ipschoser1]
I've been interested in local history for a while. Here are some links to recent trips around the area. Not sure anyone here will be interested, but what the heck.

Banner Mine

Sloss 1

Muscoda/wenonah/Republic Steel

Republic/Spaulding-Iskooda/Sloss 2

Sloss/Republic Steel 1,2

Sloss 2

As a primer, one of my fav Red Mountain historical pics, the drift at Republic Steel's Raimund 2.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:52:47 AM EDT
Thanks for those, I am actually very interested in that sort of stuff as well.

For anybody who wants to really understand the history of Birmingham, I think there is a must read book that paints the whole picture. It's actually a pretty decent read and it is part of what got me interested in this subject, and changed my perspective on the place:

Sloss Furnaces and the Rise of the Birmingham District : An Industrial Epic by W. David Lewis, University of Alabama Press

You can get a used copy on Amazon for as little as $5

There are also a couple of others that tell you a lot about historic places and have a lot of pictures, used to find them at Books-a-million but I suspect used on Amazon is the cost effective place to get them. My personal favorite:

The Birmingham District : An Industrial History and Guide by Marjorie Longenecker White

And there is a large paperback picture book based on the Historical American Engineering Record (HAER) survey done in the 90's called "Birmingham Bound" that is very cool as well.

I think several more books on the subject have been published in the last few years but I have yet to read them.

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:00:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By billbotts:
Thanks for those, I am actually very interested in that sort of stuff as well.

For anybody who wants to really understand the history of Birmingham, I think there is a must read book that paints the whole picture. It's actually a pretty decent read and it is part of what got me interested in this subject, and changed my perspective on the place:

Sloss Furnaces and the Rise of the Birmingham District : An Industrial Epic by W. David Lewis, University of Alabama Press

You can get a used copy on Amazon for as little as $5

There are also a couple of others that tell you a lot about historic places and have a lot of pictures, used to find them at Books-a-million but I suspect used on Amazon is the cost effective place to get them. My personal favorite:

The Birmingham District : An Industrial History and Guide by Marjorie Longenecker White

And there is a large paperback picture book based on the Historical American Engineering Record (HAER) survey done in the 90's called "Birmingham Bound" that is very cool as well.

I think several more books on the subject have been published in the last few years but I have yet to read them.

Thanks for the info. "The Story of Coal & Iron in Alabama" is also a classic on the subject. It was written in 1910 for the Chamber of Commerce.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:24:57 PM EDT
oh man, you've got to see Bangor Cave in Hayden. Old speakeasy built into a cave. Awesome sight. Camped out in there one night.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:11:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BeetleBailey:
oh man, you've got to see Bangor Cave in Hayden. Old speakeasy built into a cave. Awesome sight. Camped out in there one night.

I've been to Bangor Cave a few times. We live close by it. For those that don't know, Bangor Cave was a bar/dance hall during prohibition. Folks would ride the L&N RR to Bangor and party away. The remnants of the bar are still there. CSX still runs trains by it on their busy Birmingham-Nashville mainline. Cool place. Also, Blount Springs had two spas with sulpher springs nearby. It was a hangout for the area's rich folks. The original South and North RR was rerouted thru the area after it was taken over by the L&N. The line was originally constructed by John T. Milner but he was under severe budgetary constraints and had to build it with tight curves and steep grades. The L&N spent big bucks fixing it and in the process routed the tracks some distance further north of the health spas. My guess is that that didn't do much for business...
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:36:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ipschoser1:

I've been to Bangor Cave a few times. We live close by it. For those that don't know, Bangor Cave was a bar/dance hall during prohibition. Folks would ride the L&N RR to Bangor and party away. The remnants of the bar are still there. CSX still runs trains by it on their busy Birmingham-Nashville mainline. Cool place. Also, Blount Springs had two spas with sulpher springs nearby. It was a hangout for the area's rich folks. The original South and North RR was rerouted thru the area after it was taken over by the L&N. The line was originally constructed by John T. Milner but he was under severe budgetary constraints and had to build it with tight curves and steep grades. The L&N spent big bucks fixing it and in the process routed the tracks some distance further north of the health spas. My guess is that that didn't do much for business...

well obviously you and I need to go spelunking . I grew up in the area too, fwiw. And htank you for the links
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:39:13 PM EDT
oh man! there's one more place you need to see. There is this HUGE abandonded crane out in the Adamsville/Greysville/Brookside area in the middle of nowhere that is really worth seeing. Would you be interested in going?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:36:45 PM EDT
Man If any one ever want to drive around, and hike out to these places let me know. I just got a new camera and love taking pictures of old abandoned places and buildings.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:18:16 AM EDT

oh man! there's one more place you need to see. There is this HUGE abandonded crane out in the Adamsville/Greysville/Brookside area in the middle of nowhere that is really worth seeing. Would you be interested in going?

I might be. Is it really old or more of a dragline type piece of equipment? Is that at the old Flat Top mine (Jim Walters)?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:22:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ajamesp51:
Man If any one ever want to drive around, and hike out to these places let me know. I just got a new camera and love taking pictures of old abandoned places and buildings.

At alot of the sites, the vegetation is so thick now that photography is getting pretty tough. Are you the same ajames from the HS/XD forum?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:58:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ipschoser1:

I might be. Is it really old or more of a dragline type piece of equipment? Is that at the old Flat Top mine (Jim Walters)?

I'm not sure what the difference is. It is in the middle of a field, and it is so large that there are actually office(s) inside the beast.

At alot of the sites, the vegetation is so thick now that photography is getting pretty tough. Are you the same ajames from the HS/XD forum?

Yes, it is . James is a great guy.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:13:35 PM EDT
Yea I am the same one, I actually used to live in Birmingham, but moved and reopened my gun store in Columbus GA. The people over on the Ga side of this forum dont have the interesting topics we do in this section. Where did you shoot USPSA? I used to be a member of Argo.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:00:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ajamesp51:
Yea I am the same one, I actually used to live in Birmingham, but moved and reopened my gun store in Columbus GA. The people over on the Ga side of this forum dont have the interesting topics we do in this section. Where did you shoot USPSA? I used to be a member of Argo.

Cool. When I shot IPSC my home range was FOP. I was mostly into 3 gun though I did take the club pistol championship in 2000. My competition shooting tapered off in 01 as I'd gone about as far as a guy with a job, wife, kids, etc could expect to without traveling to big matches all over the country. It was some fun times.
Top Top