Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2006 1:22:42 PM EDT
I’m getting a striped 5.56mm Stag 15 lower on the 13th and I don’t quite know what I can do with it.
My friend said when I start to assemble my lower I can buy a 10round mag and put a washer in place of the magazine release button to make it cal legal. Is this true?

My plan is to make a stag 15 with a free floating tactical rail and an eotech sight. What is the most inexpensive way to accomplish this? Does a company have a pre-assembled upper like this? Because I don’t know what kind of rail system to buy for a 16” barrel I dunno if I need to buy a different length gas tube. There are just sooo many options and I have no idea what’s compatible or what companies make quality products.  Also the upper or any parts don’t have to be stag as long as everything fits together right.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#1]
How is a washer going to hold on the magazine release?

I'm not trying to be a dick but if you do not know the purpose of a washer you might have a difficult time building a AR15.

Basically the mag release is threaded instead of putting on the mag release button you thread on a nut with a washer to block the use of the mag release fixing a 10rd mag in its place.

Yes you can by complete kits, they have everything you need to finish a stripped lower.

good luck.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:43:52 PM EDT
[#2]
There are three different lengths of gas tubes. They are rifle, mid-length and carbine. Please go to BIY section for more details. Happy building!

ETA: for 16" barrels, either mid-length or carbine-length. It depends on your BBL.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:44:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I know how it works. I was wondering about the legality of fixing the mag in like this.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:45:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
There are three different lengths of gas tubes. They are rifle, mid-length and carbine. Please go to BIY section for more details. Happy building!hr

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I know how it works. I was wondering about the legality of fixing the mag in like this.

no one really knows yet.

I am guessing if you use some locktite and it cannot be loosened without a helluva lot of pressure you should be ok.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:56:04 PM EDT
[#6]
If you're new to AR-15s I recommend doing a straight 20 inch A2 build (they look like an M-16).  They're the easiest to build and a great way to cut your teeth.  After you've got the basics down you can go ahead and see where your rifle evolves from there.  And yeah... that's how ARs are... they start out looking like very traditional rifles and then slowly evolve into something from Star Wars with a zillion optics and flashlights.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:34:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If you're new to AR-15s I recommend doing a straight 20 inch A2 build (they look like an M-16).  They're the easiest to build and a great way to cut your teeth.  After you've got the basics down you can go ahead and see where your rifle evolves from there.  And yeah... that's how ARs are... they start out looking like very traditional rifles and then slowly evolve into something from Star Wars with a zillion optics and flashlights.

Yea, I keep trying to tell myself that but I want that star wars looking AR. LOL
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:49:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea, I keep trying to tell myself that but I want that star wars looking AR. LOL

Yeah, but I recommend you start with the basics. Either a plain jane 20" rifle or a basic 16" carbine. I started with a carbine. It's been one big bank account drain ever since. The beauty of the AR system is all the other stuff can be added as money allows.

But hey, it's your money.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:10:18 AM EDT
[#9]
www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=AR0840X&storeid=1&image=uentry.gif&CFID=7858693&CFTOKEN=72939124

Then add whatever handguards you want with the dropdown options.  If you are set on the EOtech, decide if you want your backup iron sights(BUIS) there all the time, or if you want flip up BUIS.  If you want them there all the time, get the Dominator rear sight and leave the front alone, if you want flip ups, then select a flip up rear and front railed gas block then buy an EOtech and screw it on when you get it.

edit: I hate that this forum doesn't automatically parse url's.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#10]
The current way that most think is legal to pin your 10rnd mag is to replace the mag release button with a locktited nut on the mag catch. don't bother with the kit shown here: http://www.sportingconversions.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=1044
as it is $15 for a nut.

Buy what you want the first time around, otherwise you will start to collect uppers. I would suggest a flat top carbine (16"), with a detachable carry handle, 4 way gas block with detachable sights and a free float aluminum handgaurd. That way you can use optics, open sights and mount whatever other crap you want. The 20" is no real advantage unless you want a tack driver, in which case you will spend bucks on handloading equiptment and custom uppers, a new trigger, NM sights, or a high dollar scope. thats a whole other rifle. Since you can save at least  $100 buy assembling it yourself, read the BIY forum for days on end then go to Del-Tons website and order up a kit : http://www.del-ton.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=80
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top