Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2006 5:58:09 AM EDT
FYI, the place below charges $9 per half hour.  You can shoot an AR but must buy their ammo.  I brought some walmart winchester.  "We just changed the policy" per the manager.  Their app suggests "3,600 ft./second on rifle lanes."  I guess they don't know their own ammo.  Manager suggested they do not have wolf ammo "because it is steel core".  50rd .223 is $18.  I was planning on taking the ccw class and using this range primarily.. Not now.
Overall a wasted trip, I walked out.

Top Gun Shooting Sports
16725 Racho Road
Taylor, MI 48180

btw... looking for another rifle range.  Any suggestions in SW MI?

For pistol shooting I would suggest the place below.  Nice people, not as stuffy, lower prices.

Wolverine Shooting Sports, Inc.
19999 Dix-Toledo Road
Brownstown, MI 48183
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:30:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Can't say I blame Top Gun for the new policy.  On the application to shoot it says "No steel core ammo" (or something to that effect).  Someone used it anyways and destroyed the backstop.  That must have been an expensive lesson to learn.  DO NOT TRUST THE PUBLIC.  Obviously a policy change was in order to stop it from happening again.  

If you want a place with some freedom to shoot rifle, I suggest the pit.  Had the place all to myself yesteday.  Guess no one else wanted to play in the snow.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:47:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I like top gun for pistol nice and clean been their 3 times now. It is not the place to shoot rifle though.

Last time i was at top gun it cost $15 for one hour with two people on the lane

Wolverine is 16
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I do not know of any indoor range in Metro Detroit which allows you to use Wolf.
Top Gun is one of the few indoor places where you can shoot a rifle and it is one of the fewer where you will not feel like you are going to get emphazima <sp?> just by spending a half hour there.  I have been happy every time I have shot there and I have been happy with the purchases I have made there as well, all in all a stand up group.

Sorry you are upset but you should give them another chance as that is policy for most ranges with Wolf Ammo and they are the best place you will find in that area for sure.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:04:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Thought wolf was steel jacket not steel core.  Anyhow, shot at Double Action today with my ammo (walmart winchester).  No problems no hastle. Walked in, paid, showed my ammo, shot my ammo good to go.

Tight groups from the sebr.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:29:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Wolf has a steel case not a steel core.

The jacket is copper.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#6]
The reason they don't want Wolf is that they recycle the brass and it contaminates their haul. I don't know about brass, but the owner of Double Action said to me once that they recycle 60,000 lbs of lead a year. That's a lot of money. You know they aren't hand sorting the brass for Wolf casings so they must cut the person buying the brass a break or certify it 'clean'.

Dave
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:16:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I just shot out their last week and they let me use my Wolf and CCI blazer. (Handgun)
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:37:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I used CCI Blazer handgun ammo there yesterday with no problems either....

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:54:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I find it mildly suspicious that you come on here and blast top gun and then give free advertising to their closest competitor.

Top gun has always done right by me. I've found that their staff is generally more helpful and friendly than any other shop i've dealt with.
They aren't the cheapest place to shoot, but they're convenient for me, and most important for me, THEY DON'T ACT LIKE KNOW-IT-ALLS. If you want something, they don't steer you over to a different product that they make more money on.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:44:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I find it mildly suspicious that you come on here and blast top gun and then give free advertising to their closest competitor.

I put up the info that was relevant to the board.  As I found it difficult to find a local range, I felt it would be relevant to post locations.  As Wolverine is close, I do not think they are a close competitor, as they do not allow ar's.

I was not going to mention it, but I was thinking Top Gun employees were responding to the post prior to reading the above quote.

Anyhow, my first gun was the SEBR and first range experience was Top Gun.   The application leads me to believe that if the ammo was under the specified velocity it was ok to use.  Feels like a bait and switch when I got there and it was like "new policy" so spend more money or go away.  They should have covered all the bases and changed the app.  For being top notch, they slipped up.

As for being employed with a gun shop/range ... not the case.

I did shoot my sisters 357 at Wolverine, first time shooting a pistol.  The people were friendly, parking sucked.

I did finally get to shoot my rifle (first time) at double action with my ammo, the people were friendly and for the most part were lenient on the delay between firing rounds.... until I heard "Cease Fire" as I was packing up.

I guess I just did not like what I was hearing from the folks at Top Gun.  The young guy seemed nice when I asked if they had an open lane.  

The older guy that mentioned "Steel Core Wolf" and "New Policy" and "You can take the stuff back out to your car if you are not shooting" kind of got me upset.  The only reason I  mentioned Wolf was that I thought it should have been the cheapest.  I did read about wolf not being "Steel Core" before going to the range.  I quickly labeled this guy as just being .

I do agree that top gun looks very clean, unlike wolverine and doubleaction.  As for emphazima.  Go smoke another one.

Just for good measure....

Top Gun Shooting Sports
16725 Racho Road
Taylor, MI 48180

Wolverine Shooting Sports, Inc.
19999 Dix-Toledo Road
Brownstown, MI 48183

Double Action Shooting Center
32411 Dequindre Avenue
Madison Heights, MI 48071
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, once I was at top gun and a couple of guys were there shooting an AR, or maybe it was an AK. Anyway, they were told to take their steel ammo out to their car, which they did. then one of the guys went back out to their vehicle about midway thru their session and retrieved the steel ammo.
they weren't too bright, because the young guy watched the whole act transpire.
Of course, they got tossed out, which they should have.
A few months earlier, someone else snuck in steel core ammo and turned the backstop into swiss cheese.
Maybe situations like that have got them a little peeved when they so much as see steel core ammo in someone's range bag.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#12]
"As for emphazima. Go smoke another one."

no need to get dicky partner.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top