Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2006 7:37:42 AM EDT
Pretty wet, here on the coast, even when it's supposedly dry.

I have different types of barrels on various semi-auto (Militia!!!) firearms. I see stainless steel and chrome-moly barrels get more gunky than chrome-lined, either after shooting or just over time.

I've had good luck taking a 20 gauge bore mop and some gun-metal polish (I use Hoppes Gunmetal Polish in a squeeze tube). I put a cleaning rod in a drill motor, insert the bore mop and paste into the chamber and give it about 10 seconds of spin city time.

A sqiurt or two of brake cleaner and the chamber is sparkly clean and smoooooooooooth.

Anyway, it has helped some of those sticky chambers, quite a bit.

I have been using Universal Gun Grease on the firearms, as well. I apply a very light coat to the surfaces of the firearm, except the barrel and chamber, and really work it into the pores with my fingers or a brush. Works on paint, as well.

I rub the firearm down with a cloth to remove any built up grease, since I don't want the thing to burst into flames while I'm holding it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:12:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Some good tips there bunny, thanks.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:23:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Some good tips there bunny, thanks.

If only he'd told you sooner.

www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=15&t=222977
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:25:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Wait just a darn minute.......Are you saying we should clean our firearms?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:28:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Oh Gawd.... What have I done?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:29:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Damn, I thought you were going to say to always bring rain gear and tarps.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:20:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought this was going to be about lattes.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:34:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Also..

Don't store them in foam cases, unless it's a Glock

Mobil 1 and Breakfree LP(no solvent) works great also for "Short" term(2-3 months). Since we get so much rain and in the summer it is normally fairly humid(not to bad though), everything gets a generous coat...

Dad's M15-3 sat in a leather holster for 25 years or so before I told him how bad it was.. never rusted thankfully(it's a beautiful weapon).
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:34:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I rub the firearm down with a cloth to remove any built up grease, since I don't want the thing to burst into flames while I'm holding it.

*sniff*
Pussy.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:13:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I have been using Universal Gun Grease on the firearms, as well. I apply a very light coat to the surfaces of the firearm, except the barrel and chamber, and really work it into the pores with my fingers or a brush. Works on paint, as well.

Thanks for the polish tip.

I am not sure what parts include the grease but from my experience grease on bolt carriers in very cold weather creates stoppages.
My absolute favorite lubricant is MILITECH1 now.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:05:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I shot my AR 'til it crapped out.
Then, I cleaned it.
It still crapped out.
Perhaps it was the GREEK ammo?  Hmmmmm?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:16:03 PM EDT
[#11]

What's cleaning? I still have to get past only having AK's

Thanks for the polish tip!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top