Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2005 10:46:21 PM EDT
I am at school for the most part and have a great connection there.  I have a dial up account at home and I can't stand it any longer.  I need speed.  As a student I am fairly strapped for cash so, what is the best value in DSL or Cable Internet.  At this time I do not have cable TV but I do have a cell phone with Sprint (I wish I could change to Verizon) that may give me a discount on Sprint DSL.  Please tell me what you have, What you pay and how you like it.   BTW I will complete school in May and will be deployed with the USAF so long term contracts are a no go.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:52:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I have Cox cable, paid $84 a month for basid expanded cable and cable modem. For the most part, it is pretty fast. Occasionally--like 2-3 days a year--the service has gone out for me.  I am pleased with the service.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:08:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:25:59 PM EDT
[#3]
SBC DSL is $14.95/month

www.sbc.com/1495

Beat that!

ETA My next post # is..........
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:29:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Sprint was always a pain in the ass to deal with when dealing with business support for services like T1 lines.  Impressed me so much I never had any intention of getting or recommending anything from sprint past an analog phone service.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:37:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Most companies will let you "pause" your service while deployed.
If you live on base your limited, there isn't cox cable here.
But nellis cable has HSI now, haven't heard anything about it.
I have sprint dsl and I am not happy with it.

What school are you going to and are you currently in the military, or
going to be in the military?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:05:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I am currently (inactive reserve) O-1.  I was commissioned over a year ago but will not go to COT until next summer after I graduate in May.  I should recive my orders in a few months.  I am applying for an AEGD (Advanced Education General Dentistry) program right now.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:57:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Cox does it for most.  They are a mixed bag in my book customer service / trouble call wise.  Once my laptop died so a switch to the backup PC and a cox service visit to load sw and connect the modem to the desktop had to be scheduled.  Well, this guy has my wife pay double but only writes in half the amount on the carbon copy and a call to cs shows only half being paid (surprise, surprose, he pocketed the rest).  At least 60 minutes on the phone and several conversations and being placed on hold with some infernal music playing (tg fro speaker phones) they refunded the amount ripped off (plus the $10.00 tip she gave the guy).  If I could switch I would, but there is a certain channel they have that we have to have and it dosen't suck that much.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like you are down south...  Up in the Reno area I have to say that Charter cable is really good!  We pay a single fee for cable TV and HSI access.  The internet service has been excellent and we recently got a boost in both upload/download bandwidth.  However, that all said, the DSL service is usually MUCH cheaper, but, as has been stated the service isn't always stellar.

When we move I'm gonna miss the Charter service...
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:57:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Justy,

I would consider COX Cable.

Very fast and reliable (although it goes down occasionally), good Customer Service, great connection for wireless networks and laptops. A little pricey, but worth it.

I've had it for four years and I wouldn't consider anything else at this point. Although it seems to go down in the extreme heat (over 115 degrees) and when it rains very heavy. When it does go down it is only for a short time.

And Justy, BTW if you have any questions about Verizon cell service contact Gunbert. He is the Verizon cell connection on the board. Plus, I am sure he could use the new business, because he has a new High-Scrilla, Bling Bling car that he has to pay for. Yo, Yo, Yo......

Hope this helps.

Be Safe.

Joe
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:52:11 PM EDT
[#10]
yahoo/SBC DSL cheaper and never had a problem and its easy to hook up...do it your self in a few minutes.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:19:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I was one of the first subscribers when Prime Cable (now Cox) rolled out the service in my area.

I still have my original e-mail address ([email protected]) although it's primarily a spam-pit now.

It was originally 256k down and 128k up. After a while I upgraded to a 512k/512k split service, and am currently on the business side with their SOHO (Small Office / Home Office) residential package, running 4M /512k .

The only way I change at this point is if I got a smoking deal on multiple T1s.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:28:30 PM EDT
[#12]
cox cable here too.  7mb down, 726kb up, for about 50 a month, but i also bought my modem, saving me 10 bucks a month on modem rental fees.  

DSL is only good if you are within a certain range of a DSL hub.  if you arent, waste of money because its so slow.  The range depends on teh carrier, so you should ask on the phone.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top