Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2003 2:27:08 PM EDT

www.nashuatelegraph.com/Main.asp?SectionID=25&SubSectionID=377&ArticleID=82298

NASHUA – A city man faces up to $1,000 in fines and a year in jail after
                  he was arrested for allegedly walking on a downtown street with a loaded
                  gun concealed in a holster.

Police arrested Peter Lachapelle, 29, of 89 ½ Pine St., after allegedly
                  discovering a Colt .45-caliber semiautomatic concealed in a holster he
                  was allegedly wearing on his hip, said police Sgt. Peter Bouchard. “It’s a
                  pretty good-size gun,” said Bouchard.

Officer Michael Fauteux stopped Lachapelle for questioning at the corner
                  of Central and Ash streets about 8 p.m. after observing a completely
                  closed holster on Lachapelle’s hip, Bouchard said.

When questioning Lachapelle about why he was carrying the weapon,
                  Lachapelle allegedly told police that it was his “God-given right.”

New Hampshire law states a person 21 and older must have a license to
                  carry a loaded concealed weapon.

Because no part of the weapon was showing, and it was loaded,
                  Lachapelle was arrested and charged with first offense carrying a
                  concealed weapon without a license, a misdemeanor punishable by up to
                  a year in jail, a $1,000 fine, or both.

A second offense of carrying a concealed weapon without a license is a
                  Class B felony.

Lachapelle was being held in the Nashua Police Department on Tuesday
                  night.

If no part of the weapon was exposed how did the cop observe a holster on his hip?

S-I
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:59:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought I read on packing.org that open carry was OK in NH?
Is it because he didn't have a permit?

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:01:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Notice how they word it...completely closed holster...is there such a thing these days?  Maybe he was wearing one of those WW2 holsters with a big flap that snaps to the body of the holster?  It's unclear.  All I can say is what great police work...that officer must be commended!  I'm sure he prevented many crimes with that arrest!  He should be promoted for being such a stickler! heh
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:04:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Furthermore, if someone so much as sees a bulge through your shirt you could be charged with brandishing your weapon...(not concealing it)
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 4:53:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I thought I read on packing.org that open carry was OK in NH?
Is it because he didn't have a permit?

Open carry is ok in NH, but from what I understand, the gun, or parts of the gun, have to be visible from 3 sides in order for it to be considered open carry.  Being in such a holster that no part of the gun is visible makes it concealed, and that's what they're hitting him with.  NH law requires a permit to carry concealed.  Why he didn't have one is beyond me ... unless you have something on your record that would prevent your lawful ownership of a pistol/revolver, NH is a "shall issue" state, and the permit is only $10.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:14:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Right.  In Maine you need a CCW permit, as you do in NH I believe.  

I don't feel too bad for this guy.  Sounds to me like he was looking to see what he could get away with.  If he was THAT concerned he should have picked up a permit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top