Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2013 6:17:32 AM EDT
Trying help a friend out with the thumbprint requirement on the Assault Weapons form. What I'm looking for is, where is it written by the State of CT where you can thumb print yourself.
Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:21:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Trying help a friend out with the thumbprint requirement on the Assault Weapons form. What I'm looking for is, where is it written by the State of CT where you can thumb print yourself.
Thanks in advance
View Quote

It's not

Nor is it written that any "authority" must do it

Just git squiggly ink on the page

He is essentially taking a legally binding oath that he is truthful in his statement, prints, and actions on that form
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:24:10 AM EDT
[#2]
If your friend is still unsure, ask him to consider how the state plans on having normal thumb printing authorities (local PD's) handle the tens of thousands of registrants out there.

The logistics would be impossible.  This the expectation would be absurd.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:27:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thanks in advance
View Quote

It isn't written anywhere. Only that you a right thumb print is required on the form in two places.

Most have done the print themselves. You can buy an ink pad for as little as $4 at Staples and do it yourself, or find someone (like a notary) who has an fingerprint/ink pad and will let you borrow it to do the fingerprinting. It is suggested though that you do several test thumb prints before putting the print on the form though.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:07:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks in advance
View Quote

It isn't written anywhere but I did my own prints and the DESPP accepted it since they sent the approved AW certificate back.  Conversely I've heard a lot of stories about dingbat notaries who are unsure whether they need to see you roll your thumbprint.  My own notary said all he does is certify that I signed the paperwork.  He doesn't need to verify my thumb print any more than he needs to verify the serial numbers.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:16:22 PM EDT
[#5]
When I was in Middletown 2 weeks ago they gave a guy an ink pad and told him to go do his prints and get back in line.

They also notarized it for him, but I wouldn't depend on that the notary wasn't happy about it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:31:00 PM EDT
[#6]
It is written right Here:

http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?Q=530224&A=4213

Scroll down to the assault weapon application.

I had trouble with a notary at my local town hall. Wanted to see me roll my own print. The rest of my forms I had done at my bank. No problem.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#7]
A head stamp is also accepted...
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:18:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Local PD was adamant that I get the form notarized first and then he had to do the print. I told him plenty of people have done their own and he said it's supposed to be a police officer. When I asked him how they would know he said they screwed up and left a signature spot off of the form.

He was a nice enough guy, just had a strange take on the forms. I ended up screwing up on 2 forms and I'm going to do the prints myself to save time and aggravation.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#9]
The person I spoke with when dropping my papers off said as long as your thumbprint is on it. It's used as a "visual" basically, they don't need it to scan or anything.

I did my own thumbprints and it went fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top