Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/11/2006 8:32:44 PM EDT
Myself and 2 friends crossed the Bridge of Freedom this morning to take the Florida Non-Resident CCW class today at Ready Aim Fire rafire.com (Bristol, PA).

As previous Arfcommer's have found, it was a very efficient and cost-effective way to wrap everything up with the least amount of hassle.

Applications filled out, notarized, passport photos taken, fingerprint cards completed, and course completion certificate along with the envelope with which to mail it to Florida were all achieved in about 3 hours for a grand total of $85.

This also included modest range time, classroom instruction and even gun rental for those that did not BYOG.

90 some odd days from now I'll be receiving my Freedom Package in the mail from Talahassee and will need to take a trip to Free America to exercise my God-given rights.

As Fishpaw had previously noted, the class is designed to meet all the minimum requirements that Florida sets out, including a range proficiency test consisting of nothing more than:
a) Load 4 rounds in the mag
b) Charge the weapon
c) Make the weapon safe
d) Charge the weapon again
e) Fire 4 rounds anywhere into the target located barely past spitting distance (7 yards).

The instructor kept the class fun, interesting and short.

I would suggest that all NJ/NY members consider getting their FL Non-Res CCW, even if only for the sake of irritating those who feel you shouldn't have the meager gun rights you still retain.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:01:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/11/2006 10:02:33 PM EDT by 3rdStreet]
New Jersey does not honor a Florida CCW right? Does this only give you the right to carry only in florida or can you carry in other states?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:36:50 PM EDT
new jersey honors nothing. but they like your quarterly tax checks......

the non resident permit is honored in 28 states.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:19:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2006 5:19:19 AM EDT by GoingIncognito]
And PA is the most notable, as those of us who live near the border can easily make the trip. I'm in PA a few times a month, minimum, and I can ramp that up if I stop shopping in certain NJ areas. Out of habit I go to the Best Buy at the Nassau Park shopping center on Route 1 (Lawrenceville/Princeton/West Windsor area, depending on who you ask). I could just as easily make the trip to the Best Buy near Oxford Valley Mall.

I hope my VMII comes soon!

Edit: Forgot to add, CONGRATULATIONS!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:23:16 AM EDT
I plan to attend this course at Ready Aim Fire over the summer. I travel to PA a lot and would like to carry when I go.

Ken
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:25:32 AM EDT
Camdeck, the NJCSD has an initiative presently in the works that aims to do just this, but on a massive coordinated statewide scale so as to make a HUGE political statement in Trenton and flip the bird to Gov. Corzine.

I'm not at liberty to discuss any particulars at this time, because confidentiality is always the best strategy before press releases are drafted, so that our enemies don't "get the drop on us" and frame our issue in the media before we have a chance to paint our own positive picture. I'm SO sick to death of being painted in a corner. For once we're trying to turn the tables on them, and get out in front of the issue, instead of just reacting and responding to bad press.

Those of you who are desireous of applying for your FL Non-resident CCW would be well served by waiting a month or two until the spring timeframe until the NJCSD and ANJRPC make our announcements. As always, the ARFCOM community will be notified with more than adequate time in advance to plan.

And that's all I'm gonna say.

Stay tuned...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:50:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2006 7:30:41 AM EDT by rkbar15]

Originally Posted By 3rdStreet:
New Jersey does not honor a Florida CCW right? Does this only give you the right to carry only in florida or can you carry in other states?

It also qualifies you to get a NH and CT CCW license.

Packing.org has a current list of states that honor a FL CCW.

www.packing.org/state/florida/#otherstatehonors

ETA: Fixed FL link
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:26:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2006 7:26:30 AM EDT by GoingIncognito]

Originally Posted By rkbar15:

Originally Posted By 3rdStreet:

It also qualifies you to get a NH and CT CCW license.

Packing.org has a current list of states that honor a FL CCW.

www.packing.org/state/florida/#thisstatehonors

Is there any benefit to getting a NH and CT CCW other than excersising 2nd amendment rights?

Rovert:
Damn, figures I go to RAF and then miss out on all the NJ fun . Is this something that those of us who may already have gone through the process still somehow take part in?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:40:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GoingIncognito:
Is there any benefit to getting a NH and CT CCW other than excersising 2nd amendment rights?

I don't think NH or CT add any additional states that FL does not have reciprocity with but I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:57:05 AM EDT

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:21:13 AM EDT
Very interesting. I think I might do this over the summer.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:47:14 AM EDT
You don't need to take a class to get your FL CCW if you meet any one of several acceptable training requirements. Your local LEA should take your prints at no charge and a notary is usually available for free at your bank. The only thing you usually have to pay for are the passport type pics. Taking this class does make it very convenient though.

FL will mail you the application, fingerprint cards etc. for free if you call them or fill out a request on their web site. They are very nice to deal with and will answer any of your questions over the phone or by e-mail. They actually WANT to issue you a license.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:14:54 AM EDT
I'm glad to see that something is in the works regarding a mass application for the Florida Non-Res CCW.

I understand, of course, that the overall aim is to score a PR victory.

However, any PR strategy should focus not only on those applying in that particular month, but also all those who have already applied pending approval and those already approved.

It would be interesting if we could get the stats from the FL Dept of Agriculture on how many Non-Res Permits have been issued to NJ residents.

I look forward to exercising my rights in 28 states plus Florida.

Maybe we should keep score regarding how many of the 29 states we actually do CCW in.

I'm sure PA will be #1 on my list, followed by DE.

After that, hhmmmmm, north to VT or south to VA?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:28:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2006 10:29:01 AM EDT by rkbar15]
You don't need any type of license to carry in AK or VT. They don't treat you like a criminal unless you actually commit a criminal act. What a concept.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:58:35 AM EDT
I want to take this class soon...
so basically all i need to bring is my handgun, a few rounds, my firearms ID,
and $85 bucks?
do I need to bring a passport photo?
anyone want to take this class soon?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:35:37 PM EDT
My FL CCW arrived around 61 days after I mailed it in, didn't take 90. You just have to love state govt that underpromises and overdelivers.

NJ promises 30 days to issue a FID, takes double that.

FL promises 90 days to issue a CCW, takes 2/3 of that.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:07:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 5thCavGuy:
My FL CCW arrived around 61 days after I mailed it in, didn't take 90. You just have to love state govt that underpromises and overdelivers.

NJ promises 30 days to issue a FID, takes double that.

FL promises 90 days to issue a CCW, takes 2/3 of that.

Damn, I'm nearly at 60 days! I can't wait!!!

555, they take two passport sized photos for you there, all you really need to bring is $85. Hell, I preregistered and paid on their website to boot!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:18:00 PM EDT
Hi all, new guy here.

Connecticut like New Jersey only recognize thier own ccw permits.

New Hampshire will only recognize a Florida ccw if it is held by a resident of Florida. When you get your FL ccw, apply for the N.H. permit. It only took me 10 days to get my N.H. ccw. Best $20 bucks I ever spent!

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:58:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:23:41 PM EDT
God I hate this state
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:16:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Maxwell71:
God I hate this state

+1
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:59:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GoingIncognito:

It helps because when the bean counters look at the number of permits that have been issued, compared and contrasted to the volume of blood flowing in the streets, it further befuddles them.

Seriously? If you can afford a state's non resident permit, get it. There's no telling when recognition / reciprocity's gonna change from state to state. It also really does demonstrate that we who possess permits are not trigger happy loons. It's nice to see statistics of "x" many permits issued, and 0.0000027% revoked, or 0.0003% of permit holders arrested / charged etc.

Even if the permit just sits in your wallet or drawer for 3 of 5 years, you're helping to skewer the statistics in a good way.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:08:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By maddog_enigma:

Originally Posted By Maxwell71:
God I hate this state

+1

Even though NY does not have any reciprocal agreements with any other state there are 10 states that grant reciprocity to NY concealed carry pistol licensees. I forget which one of the states it is but basically they do it to just embarrass NYS.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:51:31 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:09:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kdross:
I plan to attend this course at Ready Aim Fire over the summer. I travel to PA a lot and would like to carry when I go.

Ken

I was planning on taking it as well. We should get a large group together for the next class
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:29:21 AM EDT
Let me see if I've got this straight, if I live in NY, don't have a pistol permit or any legal way
to posess or purchase a handgun as of yet, but am not in a prohibited persons class, I can get
a ccw from Fla? Does Chucky & Hillery know about this?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:58:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Camdeck:

However, any PR strategy should focus not only on those applying in that particular month, but also all those who have already applied pending approval and those already approved.

The goal of the program is not only PR.

NJ gun owners have gotten fat lazy about becoming involved in advocacy. We need to begin "RKBA exercises". We need to start taking personal responsibility for asserting our rights and winning some victories. This program is intended to get us off our butts and on our feet, and hopefully in the process, gun owners will come to the conclusion that becoming involved can be both fun and rewarding.

Permits issued before the program won't help us because they're not attibutable to the program or coordinated effort. We had nothing to do with it. At least part of the point we hope to make is that if an organization can, in the span of just a few months, mobilize (for argument's sake) 5000 to 10000 gun owners to do some "work", imagine what we could accomplish in the next election.

It's a warning to Trenton.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:42:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Rovert:

Originally Posted By Camdeck:

The goal of the program is not only PR.

NJ gun owners have gotten fat lazy about becoming involved in advocacy. We need to begin "RKBA exercises". We need to start taking personal responsibility for asserting our rights and winning some victories. This program is intended to get us off our butts and on our feet, and hopefully in the process, gun owners will come to the conclusion that becoming involved can be both fun and rewarding.

Permits issued before the program won't help us because they're not attibutable to the program or coordinated effort. We had nothing to do with it. At least part of the point we hope to make is that if an organization can, in the span of just a few months, mobilize (for argument's sake) 5000 to 10000 gun owners to do some "work", imagine what we could accomplish in the next election.

It's a warning to Trenton.

Then I'm sorry I jumped the gun (no pun intended ) and won't be of a help to this, blah!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:09:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 7:10:50 AM EDT by edpmedic]

Active & retired military, and those with previous firearms training (NRA, Hunters Safety) need just do the paperwork.
Paperwork fee of $45.00 includes: Application, fingerprints, notary, and passport photo

So let me get this right if you have a NRA or Huntersafety class all you need is fill the paperwork out and mail it in? If that is the case can't you just do it yourself and even save $45.00. All you need is a picture and fingerprints done then get the application direct from FL.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:28:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 7:31:15 AM EDT by 5thCavGuy]

Originally Posted By edpmedic:

Active & retired military, and those with previous firearms training (NRA, Hunters Safety) need just do the paperwork.
Paperwork fee of $45.00 includes: Application, fingerprints, notary, and passport photo

So let me get this right if you have a NRA or Huntersafety class all you need is fill the paperwork out and mail it in? If that is the case can't you just do it yourself and even save $45.00. All you need is a picture and fingerprints done then get the application direct from FL.

I did mine myself and it worked. Passport photo from Kinko's ($12), fingerprinted at the local PD ($5 or $10), notarized by my barber ($5 with $12 haircut package deal.)

You're not avoiding the entire $45 Ready-Aim-Fire charges for the service, maybe about $20 or so.

All the info and paperwork including fingerprint card comes in the FL info packet you request on their website.

Edit to add: doing all this myself involved a lot of running around obviously, and there's value in bundling it into one stop shopping.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:35:58 AM EDT
Many local PD's will do the prints for you for free and your local bank where you have an account will notarize your sig. for free. Your local PD may have someone that will notarize your sig. too.

There are several ways to meet the training requirement for a FL CCW. If you have any questions call or e-mail the FL licensing division. They are very nice to deal with in sharp contrast to some local agencies in NY and NJ. You can request an application package by calling or filling out a request form on the web site.

3. TRAINING DOCUMENTATION

Any one of the following are examples of the documents which will be accepted to satisfy the training requirement:

* A notarized statement or document from a club, organization, school training facility or certified instructor showing that the individual has completed a course or class or is an experienced competitor.
* A photocopy of your military honorable discharge document or a photocopy of your DD-214.
* A photocopy of a certificate bearing the name of the organization, school or facility who sponsored the course or class and the instructor's name and category of certification (NRA, State, etc.). The instructor's name and certification must be clearly legible.
* A photocopy of your NRA competitors classification card or similar documentation.
* A photocopy of a firearms instructors certification card or certificate.
* A photocopy of any NRA firearms training certificate.
* A photocopy of a certificate or card showing completion of a hunter education or safety course approved by the Florida Game and Fresh Water Fish Commission or a similar agency of another state.
* A photocopy of a license to carry a concealed weapon or firearm issued in Florida.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:51:22 AM EDT
As I did not have anything to meet the "training requirements" at the time, it made fantastic sense to go to Ready Aim Fire.

In 3 hours they did everything for me, then add in 1 hour of driving each way and I'm at 5 hours total.

Now I'm going to go to the Post Office and mail my Freedom Application.

However, for those with a longer drive, or those who already meet the training requirements, doing the application, notary, prints & photo yourself would also be a perfectly acceptable method.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:57:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Lloyd-Jr:
Let me see if I've got this straight, if I live in NY, don't have a pistol permit or any legal way
to posess or purchase a handgun as of yet, but am not in a prohibited persons class, I can get
a ccw from Fla? Does Chucky & Hillery know about this?

Yeah, but without reciprocity it doesn't matter. A Florida CCW is not honored here, so without a NYS license, you can't have a handgun in NYS. However, you can use it in PA and 32 other states, so long as your weapon is stored outside of NY and never crosses the border.

And if hell does indeed freeze over, and the national right to carry law passes, NY will be forced to honor a FL CCW. Then, Chuckie and Hitlery, as well as everyone's favorite West Coaster, Feinswine, will go senile with their inability to make law-abiding citizens into simple sheep.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:41:38 AM EDT
I can now celebrate a triumphant return from the post office!

I just mailed off my application to Tallahassee beaming with sheer joy as if I had just mailed off a Christmas list direct to the fat man himself in the North Pole.

This is going to be good.

PS - Do we have Jeb Bush to thank for this?
Who was really responsible in Florida for putting this wonderful program together?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:35:58 PM EDT
So has anyone with a FL ouit of state permit here actually gotten a CT permit?

NH and ME were very straightforward, but I'd like CT.

Then the challenges are to get RI, MA, SC to then cover the east coast ME - FL, with a little gap for NY and NJ.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:14:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BoreSighted:
So has anyone with a FL ouit of state permit here actually gotten a CT permit?

NH and ME were very straightforward, but I'd like CT.

Then the challenges are to get RI, MA, SC to then cover the east coast ME - FL, with a little gap for NY and NJ.

I have a CT permit - receiving it only on the "strength" of my NH permit & my NY restricted permit. I've received FL & UT since then.

CT is relatively easy - more so for non residents than residents. I had a little snafu when I moved from one NY county to another during the application process, notified them, but my new county took a little while in getting back to them (the guy - Walter Peck actually called me to advise he was having a little issue / delay) as my records did not move from county A to county B in a timely fashion (Westchester to Dutchess).

/ml/Drew
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:24:59 PM EDT
The next question how much doews it cost to keep them up to date?

I mean if you are going to be going to these places I can see having it. If your going to just do to have and not use it and spend money every couple of years I really wonder for what reason.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:17:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By edpmedic:
The next question how much doews it cost to keep them up to date?

I mean if you are going to be going to these places I can see having it. If your going to just do to have and not use it and spend money every couple of years I really wonder for what reason.

My 2nd job has me traveling for a living. I'll probably hit seven states by end of month, if it turns out to be a slow month.

All of my permits combined have cost me less than one handgun. Most are 4 yrs to renewal, a few are five.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:32:58 PM EDT
Great thread guy's, the way it should be. Do not forget the $42.00 fingerprint processing fee, and $75.00 license fee to Tallahasse. Resident or non-resident fee is a total of $117.00http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/license/fees.html
Top Top