Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/6/2005 11:55:52 AM EDT
Legal in California? I'm trying to ship in a TRG-22 from out of state. The TRG has a threaded barrel that can accept a muzzle brake or other accessory. The out of state dealer says this is illegal in CA, but I can't find anything in the state laws that says this should be so. All the threaded barrel references I can find are related to "assault" weapons, which the TRG is obviously not.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:12:23 PM EDT
its legal, even on a semi it is legal.

the only time a threaded barrel is illegal is on a pistol.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:41:21 PM EDT
You're fine. AW definition requires the rifle be semi-auto with a detachable magazine. Either one missing, and you can put as many of the other evil features on it as you want.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:29:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mall-Ninja:
You're fine. AW definition requires the rifle be semi-auto with a detachable magazine. Either one missing, and you can put as many of the other evil features on it as you want.

What AW definition? Where are threaded barrels on rifles mentioned?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:52:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mesa_Tactical:

Originally Posted By Mall-Ninja:

What AW definition? Where are threaded barrels on rifles mentioned?

Mesa is correct. CA AW law specifies a threaded barrel as an AW feature on a pistol. Rifles (with detachable magazines) are banned from having a flash supressor.. no mention of the threaded barrel, but they might get you for "intent" if you have a flash supressor that would work on the threads on the end of your M1A where the detachable brake is installed.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:57:22 PM EDT
As most have already stated, threaded barrels only apply to pistols. As with most out of state dealers, he's clueless to our shitty CA laws.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:05:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mcgredo:
The out of state dealer says this is illegal in CA, but I can't find anything in the state laws that says this should be so.

ag.ca.gov/firearms/genchar.htm

Link him here, and hint that he's an asshat.

Tell him to point out to you where it says it is illegal, then consider supporting a store that won't dick you around.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:53:02 PM EDT
Yeah, I just wound up ordering from somewhere else. In the end it's easier than trying to argue about the California criminal code with some guy at a gun store in Texas. ("We ship to California all the time and we know the law.")

They wanted to tack-weld on a brake or thread protecting nut. I was not very enthused about some bozo with a welding torch molesting my barrel.

I'm stoked about the TRG though. W00t!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:30:16 PM EDT
TRG-22 WooT thats a sweet rig. What kind of scope is going on it?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:35:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By leelaw:

Originally Posted By mcgredo:
The out of state dealer says this is illegal in CA, but I can't find anything in the state laws that says this should be so.

ag.ca.gov/firearms/genchar.htm

Link him here, and hint that he's an asshat.

Tell him to point out to you where it says it is illegal, then consider supporting a store that won't dick you around.

A good hint to give him would be. Your a SHIT FOR BRAINS FUCKIN MORON DICKHEAD. It pisses me off these guys dont know shit about their business so instead of researching it they just make shit up.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:52:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pieeater:
A good hint to give him would be. Your a SHIT FOR BRAINS FUCKIN MORON DICKHEAD. It pisses me off these guys dont know shit about their business so instead of researching it they just make shit up.

Come now, can we really expect out of state gun shops to know California law when our local gun shops don't even know them?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:40:07 PM EDT
i have a Swedish M96 mauser in 6.5x55mm. with bayo lug, threaded barrel and flash hider.

u are ok with bolt action.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:13:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pieeater:
TRG-22 WooT thats a sweet rig. What kind of scope is going on it?

I'm not sure about the glass yet. The rifle pretty much wiped out my spending cash so it will be a couple months before I can think about a scope. There are rumors of an Xotic in 50mm pretty soon. I don't want to put a 56mm objective on it and a 50mm is a little bit of a push.

Plus, now I get to be raped by Beretta on accessories. $150 for a spare mag! $500 for their extremely cool bipod! Sigh.

But it is a cool rifle. So I got that going for me.
Top Top