Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2009 12:40:16 AM EDT
I seem to recall that it was an Anvil Arms group buy, but I am not positive and I guess the thread has been archived since I was unable to locate it.  I have been reading about the various lowers in preparation for building my first AR, as I figured it was time I actually own one of these evil black guns.  

I was also wondering what image you all finally wound up choosing for the engraving.  I seem to recall the whole thing was pretty much done and you were just waiting on delivery, but I am a bit fuzzy on details as I had just gotten around to signing up for the site after the deal was completed.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 7:47:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 7:51:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 9:32:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Everything on this end was on the up and up, everything on their end was an absolute goat rope.

Truth.

My lower looks great.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 9:34:35 AM EDT
[#4]
The overall quality of the lower was great...  To be brutally honest, I was completely underwhelmed with the engraving.  My wife's shop on base just got a very expensive laser engraver a few months ago.  While they were learning how to use it they engraved a set of gunner wings on a knife for me.  I'm convinced I could give my wife a lower and an image and she could do as good, if not better job on the engraving.  When I showed her the lower she said, "They needed to hit this with the laser again."  

For all the ass pain we went through to get them... I'm not sure I'd do it again.

That's just my 7.62 cents.
~Turk

PS:  I've you're gong to build you first AR15 do it right.  Go to LaRue and order an upper and a lower and wait...  You'll never have to buy another AR again.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 10:12:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The overall quality of the lower was great...  To be brutally honest, I was completely underwhelmed with the engraving.  My wife's shop on base just got a very expensive laser engraver a few months ago.  While they were learning how to use it they engraved a set of gunner wings on a knife for me.  I'm convinced I could give my wife a lower and an image and she could do as good, if not better job on the engraving.  When I showed her the lower she said, "They needed to hit this with the laser again."  

For all the ass pain we went through to get them... I'm not sure I'd do it again.

That's just my 7.62 cents.
~Turk

PS:  I've you're gong to build you first AR15 do it right.  Go to LaRue and order an upper and a lower and wait...  You'll never have to buy another AR again.

LaRue was another one I have been reading up on.  I won't be able to get by with just one AR though, I have at least three different builds I want.  

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 10:25:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

LaRue was another one I have been reading up on.  I won't be able to get by with just one AR though, I have at least three different builds I want.  

I hear you bro... it's a freakin' disease man.  

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 2:14:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Well we could always do a spikes group buy come dividends maybe?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:35:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would be down with that

I would be happy to approach Tom Badazzar15 and see what he could do for us

Well, now that i opened my mouth, i'm in for 2 should we get em after dividends hit.  (unemployed currently :( )
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 5:32:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I still haven't built mine, yet.

Lowers are just as good as anyone else.

Only reason I did it was because it was a group buy on ARFCOM with a cool picture on it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 6:34:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 10:38:53 PM EDT
[#12]
The thing they didn't mention above was the time it took to get them.

It took well over 6-7 months.  That was down right ridiculous!!!

Lou over at the Ammo Can, did a great job handling the paperwork and all, but John at Anvil could have done a much better job.  His customer service on this order truly SUCKED!!!

Quality of the upper themselves was pretty good, but the laser job, again was sub standard.

If the opportunity rose again with the same circumstances, I would pass.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 11:16:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, now that i opened my mouth, i'm in for 2 should we get em after dividends hit.  (unemployed currently :( )

Are you enjoying time off or are you actively looking for a job?

Actively looking for a job.  I have an interview on post tomorrow for an aafess management slot.  Wish me luck.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 11:18:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Luck Wished.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 11:36:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 12:11:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I still haven't built mine, yet.

Lowers are just as good as anyone else.

Only reason I did it was because it was a group buy on ARFCOM with a cool picture on it.

OFT.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 7:39:24 AM EDT
[#17]
There is much truth in this thread.  Lu at Ammocan is a standup guy for taking on the task of transferring the lowers once my father past.  He did it for nothing.  He would not let me purchase the my lower from him.  

I don't know how many different lowers people have, but it is educational to compare machining.  The anvil ones are the same machining as Noveske.  I found one Noveske before SHTF in the gun market, and my Anvils contain the same tool marks in between the front pivet pin holes.  I showed this to a few members here.   I haven't looked for the afcomm thread tracking the raw machining lately.  I wonder who is doing the larue lowers...
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:51:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There is much truth in this thread.  Lu at Ammocan is a standup guy for taking on the task of transferring the lowers once my father past.  He did it for nothing.  He would not let me purchase the my lower from him.  

I don't know how many different lowers people have, but it is educational to compare machining.  The anvil ones are the same machining as Noveske.  I found one Noveske before SHTF in the gun market, and my Anvils contain the same tool marks in between the front pivet pin holes.  I showed this to a few members here.   I haven't looked for the afcomm thread tracking the raw machining lately.  I wonder who is doing the larue lowers...

S.M.O.S.  The LaRue's are billet though, not forged.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you enjoying time off or are you actively looking for a job?

Actively looking for a job.  I have an interview on post tomorrow for an aafess management slot.  Wish me luck.

If that doesnt work out, this job seems kind of cool
http://notes4.state.ak.us/wa/postapps.nsf/1035bb3f29758c658925644300722fb3/82954de6d485fedb892575ca007dbcaf?OpenDocument

Well, i did the interview but didnt take the job.  I cant afford to take a month paid in texas for training.  Still too much work to get done up here preparing for winter.  Yeah, I know...  Plus, I didnt really want to spend my life managing a popeye's chicken on post.  The general manager for all that is a cool guy though.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 3:55:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spike is a standup guy.  I've dealt with him ALOT and he has great product.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 7:45:47 PM EDT
[#21]
what kinda deal was ammo can running for these lowers?
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:19:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
what kinda deal was ammo can running for these lowers?

None
They did the transfers for free

originally greybear put things together and his Dad was going to do the transfers as the FFL.  Well his father passed away during the deal and two shops in town stepped up and offered to do the transfers for free (all of them)  One was Ammo Can the other was Northern Security.  To the best of my knowdelge there was never any extras and I have only seen one lower sold after the fact.

Perhaps we could make this an annual order.  I know several people in Fairbanks that would be in for one or more

Ok, i thought thats what went on but i wasn't following it real closely. I will hopefully have my FFL by the fall If your looking for somebody to do the transfers again.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:26:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:31:41 AM EDT
[#25]
I'll get in on the next group buy if/when it comes to fruition.

The quality of the lowers is good, but it took over 6 months!

Picture of engraving:

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:08:32 PM EDT
[#26]
For lowers that are not first line companies (bushmaster, colt, etc.)  I really like the quality of Spike's Tactical.  The lowers are very nicely done and the quality is first rate.  The engraving is very clear and legible.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:56:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I seem to recall that it was an Anvil Arms group buy, but I am not positive and I guess the thread has been archived since I was unable to locate it.  I have been reading about the various lowers in preparation for building my first AR, as I figured it was time I actually own one of these evil black guns.  

I was also wondering what image you all finally wound up choosing for the engraving.  I seem to recall the whole thing was pretty much done and you were just waiting on delivery, but I am a bit fuzzy on details as I had just gotten around to signing up for the site after the deal was completed.

Psychovre,
I am sure if you wanted an Anvil Arms Alaska Lower, you could get one from Jon.  Just call him up.
he had done many lowers for me with different engraving, and they are of great quality.
You will not get the price we did on the group buy though.
to my knowledge, Jon did not ever LIE.  there were many unforseen delays in the process.  It was a learning experience for both parties.  
It is sad that UAFgrad is bitter due to the unexpected delays.  
If you have any questions, give me a shout.
I also am very familar with LaRue products.  If you have the $$$ they are worth it.
Danomite45
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:33:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:23:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Way to go Jon!  Kudos for recognizing a problem,  admitting to mistakes, fixing it, and moving on.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:33:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Hmmm, I might have to get one of those with a bit of extra engraving, something along the lines of, "Sarah Palin 2012 Inaugural Edition, #0001 Of 2012."
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:59:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:47:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Way to go Jon!  Kudos for recognizing a problem,  admitting to mistakes, fixing it, and moving on.

My feelings also.

Ripak

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:23:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My feelings also.

Ripak

Warranted or not, I was pretty hard on Jon at the time of our group buy, probably said some stuff I shouldn't have... and for that, I'm sorry.  Like Rip says "kudos."  Ya gotta like a guy that admits problems and tries to make things right.  This single post has changed my opinion of AA and Jon and I'll likely do business with them again.  

~Turk
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:51:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My feelings also.

Ripak

Warranted or not, I was pretty hard on Jon at the time of our group buy, probably said some stuff I shouldn't have... and for that, I'm sorry.  Like Rip says "kudos."  Ya gotta like a guy that admits problems and tries to make things right.  This single post has changed my opinion of AA and Jon and I'll likely do business with them again.  

~Turk

Honestly Jon, I have been unable to purchase a product from  you since I am poor, but because you leveled with us, my next lower will be an Anvil Arms setup.  I like a company that goes out of their way like you do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top