Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2008 3:53:09 PM EDT
I'm in need of some help. I know that none of you on here know me from Adam but.... I feel that we have something in common and can instantly trust people on here.

I need a job. Long story short. I had a pretty cushy job up until August. My wife got pregnant in January (totally planned). I went to LA in January for a trade show and my boss told me that we would probably be going out of business at the end of the year. I immediately started looking (with his blessing). He sent me one or two job leads. This store that I ran experienced a really tough year as many others have as well. In August I took a position with a company. I thought it was a decent sales gig. I was fed clear full of bullshit. Ever seen the movie Boiler Room? I heard the phrase "great! you made a sale. you get to keep your job for another five days." Needless to say I was shit-canned two months later. Turn and burn mentality. Hire 100 people and if 1 makes it- Great. No job 4 week old baby.

My wife makes ok money but not enough to support us. Works 50 hours a week. We own a house. Two cars. Can't sell either.

My previous position was filled- otherwise I'd go back there. Despite closing at the end of January. I've done every thing I can possibly imagine. Craigslist (scams scam scam) All the job boards. Last week I spent 10 hours one day applying for over 100 jobs on Careerbuilder. No luck. I've applied at retail stores around my neighborhood-

Example. Fleet farm. Full Time loss prevention position. Applied. Resume. Coverletter the works. I can't even get hired at Fleet Farm. WTF.

I would like to believe that I'm smarter then the average bear and I do realize EVERYONE is hurting right now and it sucks everywhere BUT- what am I doing wrong????

Any ideas? Can anyone point me in a different direction?

Thanks a million for any ideas- Feel free to PM me with any questions or thoughts.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:25:18 PM EDT
In what field of work are you most experienced.

Any technical training or college degree/coursework?

What kind of job do you seek, ideally?

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:42:21 PM EDT
I'm most experienced in - Sales Management, Retail Management- In the last 10 years I've held Sales Manager positions or higher within a couple of different retail businesses. I was an Operations Manager for Gander at one point- ATF Compliance was my job.... Most recently I was a General manager of a retail store.

I have some college. Was going in the Criminal Justice direction. Didn't finish. I have an under developed optic nerve in my left eye. Birth defect. Couldn't pass academy standards uncorrected- Figure out new plan.......

Right now I'd do anything. Delivery driving. Manual Labor. Assemble part A to part B. Grunt work. Anything.....
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:02:02 PM EDT
How far from home are you willing to drive?

What city do you live in?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:04:14 PM EDT
Get a LinkedIn account.  That might help.  Send me a copy of your resume and I will see if I know of anything that might work for you.

IM incoming.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:15:43 PM EDT
I'm in Coon Rapids. Driving isn't an issue.... My wife drives a 36+ MPG Yaris I can trade her my CX-7 for....... :)

Thanks to all these responses.... I so appreciate it....
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:31:03 PM EDT
coon rapids eh?

what kind of shape are you in? ever work around heavy / dangerous equipment.....?

also... my g/f posted a resume on monster.com and landed a job within 2 weeks they are paying for her training / schooling right now. looks like it will be a good gig in the insurance field.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:46:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By builttoughf250:
coon rapids eh?

what kind of shape are you in? ever work around heavy / dangerous equipment.....?

also... my g/f posted a resume on monster.com and landed a job within 2 weeks they are paying for her training / schooling right now. looks like it will be a good gig in the insurance field.

If you know someone that is need of a hard worker IM me.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:18:28 PM EDT
If your willing to drive you could apply at DPMS in Saint Cloud.

1-800-578-DPMS
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:45:42 PM EDT
Coca Cola always seems to be hiring.  Even if it's just until you can find something better...goodle "CCE One Source" and search their site.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:11:16 AM EDT
I saw not to long ago Cabelas in Rogers had some opening.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:24:02 AM EDT
UPS usually puts on a ton of seasonal employees through the holidays.  Not a long-term solution, but you might be able to get in quick.

Good luck
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:32:30 AM EDT
Originally Posted By XDBACKUPGUN:

If you know someone that is need of a hard worker IM me.

what happened to your position with the Brownshirts ?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:52:25 AM EDT
I just sent my resume up to Dustin, the Sales Manager at DPMS. A bit of a long shot- but that would be cool. I own an AP4 and I'm lusting over an LRT-SASS........

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:12:37 AM EDT
I wish I needed more people, however, come January I expect I will be needing less people than I already have.
Top Top