Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2016 3:29:35 PM EDT
Hey everyone,

I am thinking of moving to your lovely state. I have several NFA items and I ran across a state statue that seems to indicate that I have to license my nfa items with the local sheriff.  The code is SECTION 23-31-330. Can anyone shed light on this? Do I Only need to file a 5320.20 with the ATF or are there other South Carolina specific requirements? Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:24:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never submitted any such paperwork regarding my items, this is the first I've heard of that code. Then again I've been a SC resident for decades and acquired all my NFA toys while living here.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. I have talked to other SC NFA collectors and they haven't had any knowledge of it. I just want to make sure I am following the letter of the law if I do move.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 7:06:35 AM EDT
[#3]
That section reads:

"Every person permitted by Section 23-31-320 to possess a machine gun or sawed-off shotgun or sawed-off rifle, and any person elected or appointed to any office or position which entitles the person to possess a machine gun or sawed-off shotgun or sawed-off rifle, upon taking office, shall file with the State Law Enforcement Division on a blank to be supplied by the division on request an application which is properly sworn. "

Section 23-31-320 applies to "Any peace officer of the State or of any county or other political subdivision thereof, state constable, member of the highway patrol, railway policeman or warden, superintendent, head keeper or deputy of any state prison, penitentiary, workhouse, county jail, city jail, or other institution for the detention of persons convicted or accused of crime or held as witnesses in criminal cases or person on duty in the postal service of the United States"

This does not apply to individuals.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:50:48 AM EDT
[#4]
There's nothing you have to file with SC, but you do have to file forms with the ATF.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 8:51:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's nothing you have to file with SC, but you do have to file forms with the ATF.
View Quote

/Thread.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 4:43:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks everyone for the replies!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top