Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2007 7:00:53 PM EDT
Ok I'm getting close to the proverbial 10 lbs of crap in a 5 pound bag situation with my current safe.  So I'm hoping you guys might help me out with some questions.

If I pop for a new safe I could use the funds that would come from selling the one I have now.  Anyone ever sell a used safe?  Seems like a perspective buyer might be freaked out about me knowing the com?

Buying a new one:

Looking for a reputable seller in the Metro Detroit area.  Do most vendors "install"?  After two back surgeries I'm pretty much candy when it comes to grunt work, so I'd definitely need a full service dealer.

Thanks for any help in advance!

R
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:23:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, would the buyer care if he knew that you didnt personally know him?

P.S. I might be interested in a used safe!
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:28:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the same problem with 5lbs of...well you know.  I would think that you or the buyer could have the com changed on your safe.  My friend, myself and two furniture moving guys pulled my 750lb safe upstairs to it's final resting place.

Since then I came across another guy that hired safe movers from Milan to transport his to a new location.  He said the price was reasonable, and gave me their number which I have since lost.  If you need to get a price from the movers, im me next week when my friend is back in town, and I will get the phone no. for you.  I will never get involved again in moving one myself, it anit worth getting hurt.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:25:36 AM EDT
[#3]
In regards to the combo any compenante safe locksmith can change the combo or break into your safe if you forget or loose it. In my case I got a hold of a diebold refrigerator size heavy duty safe (not a file cabinet type) from a business for free. They were going to trash it because nobody new the combo. The locksmith came to my house and opened the box and reset the combo. I redid the interior and now have a nice gun safe. In regards to selling a used one my friend is trying to sell one now. He thought it may work for rifles but after opening it up the inside height was to small due to it being a heavy duty jewelers safe. He's had people interested but when it gets to the moving part interested parties have told him of estimates between $300.00 and $500.00 to have it moved to their location. I'm sure theres someone out there less expensive but if your paying for a truck, moving equipment and several big guys that dosent seem to out of line.
colts only      
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:19:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Looking for a reputable seller in the Metro Detroit area.  

me too.

ps might be interested in used safe.

Don
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:03:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I would definitely be interested in a used safe
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:58:29 AM EDT
[#6]
On the interest in the used safe I'll get with you guys first.  It may be awhile though.

Anyone have any contacts for dealers please chime in!

R
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:54:40 PM EDT
[#7]
There is a chance that i will soon be selling a safe, i'll have to let you guys know, as i might have serious financial issues, that require firearm liquidation.  Here is a picture of the 1 year old beauty.

The goodies within will unfortunatey be up on the chopping block also.

I'll keep you guys informed, or feel free to email me for more info, until i start an actual for sale post.

Jason
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 4:05:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:31:04 AM EDT
[#9]
My unsolicited $0.02 when it comes to safes:

I have an amatuer interest in all things locks and safes going back thirty years.  As for safes, I am less interested in 21 coats of hand-rubbed lacquer than I am in functionality.

If money was no object, Graffunder would be my first choice in firearm safes if a vault room and moseler / diebold vault door was not an option.  If money is an object, then you have to analyze cost/benefit and look at real fire and theft protection.  Real fire protection does not include sheetrock.  Real theft protection does not include 12 gauge cans.  Look at an upgrade in protection for less aesthetic bells and whistles.  Perhaps something like a Sturdy Safe which has ceramic and glass fire protection, the brass S&G combination box and uses 8 gauge steel, but spartan and industrial finish.

Another factor in security is that no one can steal your stuff if they don't know you have it.  I'm kinda curious about the Zannotti Armor self-assembly safes that you can move around yourself.

You have to identify your threat and decide what is important.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:11:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd be real suprised if the company that sold it to you wouldn't buy it back and pick it up. The safe dealers that set up at the Dallas area gun shows would. And if you had to have one moved they were reasonable about it. I don't see why it'd be any different in Michigan. I could very well be wrong though, it's been know to happen and has definately seemed to happen more since I've been back up here (gun laws and police treatment, I won't start that rant here) It couldn't hurt to call them. Their offer might be low but if you compare it to what movers would charge you or a moving dolly, beer and pizza for yor buddies and doctor bills. Don't forget the pharmacy. Best of luck with it and drop me a line if you do end up having to post it for sale. I can make insulting offers too.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 11:07:56 AM EDT
[#11]
One of the Birch Run shows had a safe vendor but that was last year.  I saw one guy at Gibraltor show in Sterling Heights too.  The shows down south seemed to have a lot more of these guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top