Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2011 9:09:19 AM EDT
After checking around and seeing the $25+ prices I started thinking about how if someone charged half ($15) of what everyone else is then they may get 4x the business by pulling customers from everyone. I could also ship USPS for you for a small fee to keep you from going to a UPS terminal.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 9:18:40 AM EDT
[#1]
What part of VA are you in. If your in NOVA doing $15 transfers you have my business!
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 9:29:17 AM EDT
[#2]
My decision of FFL services are made based on customer service, not price. I drive 48 miles due to that.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 10:15:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What part of VA are you in. If your in NOVA doing $15 transfers you have my business!

Im in Louisa but make trips to Culpeper, Cville, and Fredericksburg pretty often. Location would be the snag as people would probably rather pay the extra $10 than drive 20 miles further.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im in Louisa but make trips to Culpeper, Cville, and Fredericksburg pretty often. Location would be the snag as people would probably rather pay the extra $10 than drive 20 miles further.

If you made it closer to McLean I (and probably a lot of other people) would definitely do transfers though you.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 2:54:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're making trips to those areas are you considering home delivery? If so I'd sign up in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:15:20 AM EDT
[#6]

i charge $20 and have customers that drive past several other shops that charge the same. they could easily have guns sent to a closer shop and save money on gas... they don't do that for several reasons. hell, one guy floating around here drives three hours just to do transfers at my place.

price alone isn't what brings customers in.

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:07:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My decision of FFL services are made based on customer service, not price. I drive 48 miles due to that.

Customer service? It's a transfer ... it's not like they're making you a custom suit or even waiting on you at a restaurant.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:16:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Are you looking at just doing transfer out of your house or are you looking to setup a full service gun store?
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 10:13:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I may do some ordering for people but that would be after I was comfortable with transfers. And figured out how. And house calls wouldnt be a problem if I was in the area anyway.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 1:31:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I may do some ordering for people but that would be after I was comfortable with transfers. And figured out how. And house calls wouldnt be a problem if I was in the area anyway.

sure they would

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 2:00:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Doing transfers at $15 a pop would make you feel like you wasted a lot of time, money, and energy getting that FFL.  It is almost a fool's errand.  Do you really want to receive an item, inspect it, log it, store it, do the paperwork to transfer it (including the background check), and have someone in your house for $15?

-shooter
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Customer service? It's a transfer ... it's not like they're making you a custom suit or even waiting on you at a restaurant.

My transfers are free at this FFL and he is a stocking dealer... He sponsors local shooting events and does layaways for folks who cant pay up front. Just a nice guy who
works with people and has decent prices on accessories etc. No suits or food.

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:14:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yes they would, as they're not legal.  You can do business at your licensed premises or at gun shows.

I would strongly suggest you read the ARFCOM FFL forum before going any further.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:20:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My transfers are free at this FFL and he is a stocking dealer... He sponsors local shooting events and does layaways for folks who cant pay up front. Just a nice guy who
works with people and has decent prices on accessories etc. No suits or food.

Well, gee, it's pretty hard to beat "free."
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 3:12:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Not to hijack this thread but how hard is it to obtain an 01FFL for a "kitchen table" business out of your home? I remember during the Klinton years, ATF was refusing to issue FFLs and actively shutting down home based dealers who didn't sell "enough" guns.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 1:31:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
After checking around and seeing the $25+ prices I started thinking about how if someone charged half ($15) of what everyone else is then they may get 4x the business by pulling customers from everyone. I could also ship USPS for you for a small fee to keep you from going to a UPS terminal.

If you search around, there are several FFLs that already do what you are asking. There are several in Culpeper that only charge $20 per transaction (not per gun) and offer shipping services.   Use the budsgunshop.com FFL finder.  Find a few, talk with them and develop a relationship.  Good Luck!
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:21:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not to hijack this thread but how hard is it to obtain an 01FFL for a "kitchen table" business out of your home? I remember during the Klinton years, ATF was refusing to issue FFLs and actively shutting down home based dealers who didn't sell "enough" guns.

If your local zoning or HOA doesn't prohibit you from running a business, then you're good to go.
<–– Home-based 07FFL
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:10:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Do you realize you cannot legally do house calls?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:39:46 PM EDT
[#19]
You have can my business and I will drive to you in Louisa as long as you commit to return emails/voicemails within 24 hours and your transfers are at least reasonably competitive.  I don't see why it is so hard around here to get someone to return your phone call when you want to give them business.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:44:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

i charge $20 and have customers that drive past several other shops that charge the same. they could easily have guns sent to a closer shop and save money on gas... they don't do that for several reasons. hell, one guy floating around here drives three hours just to do transfers at my place.

price alone isn't what brings customers in.

Wonder who that fool is, bet he's from WV too....

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:45:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep because two other people above you told me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:47:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You have can my business and I will drive to you in Louisa as long as you commit to return emails/voicemails within 24 hours and your transfers are at least reasonably competitive.  I don't see why it is so hard around here to get someone to return your phone call when you want to give them business.

Not a problem. You could even text me.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:49:15 AM EDT
[#23]
You'd have my business, but I don't know how you'd be able to stay in business.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:55:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude I was trying to be helpful, so what's with the attitude? Honestly I have a ton of experience with what you are trying to do and was willing to be helpful....good luck, you're gonna need it.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:10:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude I was trying to be helpful, so what's with the attitude? Honestly I have a ton of experience with what you are trying to do and was willing to be helpful....good luck, you're gonna need it.

IM sent.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:57:51 AM EDT
[#26]
The way that i look at it $10-20 transfer would be a great "loss leader" sale Its way better than the automotive industry if you think about it. Dealerships give out $24.95 oil change coupons just to get people to come in the door and spend more money, Thats a HUGE loss if you think about spending 20 dollars on oil/filter, then one guy thats getting paid .3 of an hour to do the oil change and another guy to write up the service ticket....WAY more work and money spent on a persons oil change than to do a ffl transfer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top