Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/26/2006 6:58:15 PM EDT
I'm SERIOUSLY thinkin about gettin me a class 3 license....or starting the process of getting one. Just thought I'd share that with ya'll.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm SERIOUSLY thinkin about gettin me a class 3 license....or starting the process of getting one. Just thought I'd share that with ya'll.

Umm, it involves lots of hassle, more than you can imagine! My sincere advice is to tell you to forget it - it's not worth the trouble and all the hassle.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:07:07 PM EDT
[#2]
class 3 liscense to sell NFA weapons?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Not to sell but to buy goodies like silencers n stuff.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thats not what a class 3 liscense is for.  You dont need any liscense at all just a tax stamp per item.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:15:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

thats not what a class 3 liscense is for.  You dont need any liscense at all just a tax stamp per item.

DOH! Well I knew I needed something and thats what I was wanting...lol
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:17:15 PM EDT
[#6]
What are you waiting for? Get it done!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:18:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

DOH! Well I knew I needed something and thats what I was wanting...lol

I need to get up off my lazy ass and start doing the NFA thing to.  I am thinking I might want to form a corporation though but I am not sure.  I need to study that.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I need to get up off my lazy ass and start doing the NFA thing to.  I am thinking I might want to form a corporation though but I am not sure.  I need to study that.

Jeff_1, check to see if your CLEO has a problem with signing off on Form 1's or 4's. If he will sign, no need to form a corp. Individual transfers are going much faster now that NFA Branch moved to WV, so the only advantage to a corp is if you have a CLEO who won't sign.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jeff_1, check to see if your CLEO has a problem with signing off on Form 1's or 4's. If he will sign, no need to form a corp. Individual transfers are going much faster now that NFA Branch moved to WV, so the only advantage to a corp is if you have a CLEO who won't sign.

I need to check on that. I heard the process has sped up but I figure that if it was easy enough to form a corp then I could get things done easier and faster.  I will probably try it the standard way first and then go from there.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:13:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I need to check on that. I heard the process has sped up but I figure that if it was easy enough to form a corp then I could get things done easier and faster.  I will probably try it the standard way first and then go from there.

I told you he would SIGN.......if not him then his under sheriff, thats who signed mine, for the sheriff.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IT....

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IT........

Joe B Guns can help you, or PCA in shawnee.....
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:31:16 PM EDT
[#11]
It just depends on how bright of a BLIP you want to be on "the radar". If you don't care, then get it. Personally, I'll never have one.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:37:26 PM EDT
[#12]
 Just figure out what you want and then call Bill Stover at 354-0225.  Or e-mail [email protected].  He'll walk you through the process.  Be prepared though once you make that first contact, you'll be flat broke from then on.  You'll have lots of cool stuff in your gunsafe though!

I'd recommend picking out a .22 rimfire can and starting there first.  It what I started with, and I'll bet that's what the vast majority started with.  It's a relatively inexpensive entry into the NFA world.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:41:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Another good starter would be an SBR.  You could use that spare AR lower sitting in your safe.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:18:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Rat, give me a call if you have any questions about a class three.  If you have the $$$$, go for a machine gun first, because the longer you wait, the higher they will go.
If you want a silencer, get a .22 can first, as they are the quietest.

ETA:  if you want to try one, let me know, and we can meet up at H&H
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Rat, give me a call if you have any questions about a class three.  If you have the $$$$, go for a machine gun first, because the longer you wait, the higher they will go.

NO STAY AWAY FROM PATRICKCUDD

Do not go any where near him while he has NFA items to shoot....

Dang guy spreads that NFA FEVER like wildfire, you will end up spending $$$$$$ getting pics and prints and waiting and waiting and waitng and waiting.................you will spend countless days on the phone with your NFA dealer calling and asking, Heard anything yet......

Your life will ebb away and you will mark everyday off the calender while you wait for the approved form and tax stamp to be returned...

You will oong for the day when your NFA dealer says IN HAND......you will set speed records that day as you race to his shop...

Trust me on this.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
you will set speed records that day as you race to his shop...

Trust me on this.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It just depends on how bright of a BLIP you want to be on "the radar". If you don't care, then get it. Personally, I'll never have one.

If you only knew what kind of scrutiny you come under AFTER you get the Class III item, you might think twice about it!
I ain't BSing, either!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:24:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you only knew what kind of scrutiny you come under AFTER you get the Class III item, you might think twice about it!
I ain't BSing, either!

Fill us in please...

Cause if "the man" is checking in on my life, he is going to be very disappointed, I live a boring life.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:39:23 PM EDT
[#19]

+1

I'm pretty sure "the man" has better things to do then scrutinize my class III collection.  If "the man" doesn't.  Then "the man" is welcome to come shooting with me tomorrow...

You guys worry a little too much about how doing x,y, or z puts you on the government "bad" list.  My opinion is the government doesn't care and has more important things to worry about.  For what it's worth there have been stories related of LEO's in this state that have caught people with unregistered NFA stuff.  The local ATF offices weren't interested in prosecution.  Why?  Because they weren't interested in coming after people for what they considered trivial offenses.   And you think they're going to come after you for legally registered stuff?

(edited because I goobered up the quote system...)
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:08:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO STAY AWAY FROM PATRICKCUDD

Do not go any where near him while he has NFA items to shoot....

Dang guy spreads that NFA FEVER like wildfire, you will end up spending $$$$$$ getting pics and prints and waiting and waiting and waitng and waiting.................you will spend countless days on the phone with your NFA dealer calling and asking, Heard anything yet......

Your life will ebb away and you will mark everyday off the calender while you wait for the approved form and tax stamp to be returned...

You will oong for the day when your NFA dealer says IN HAND......you will set speed records that day as you race to his shop...

Trust me on this.

Aw, shucks!!  The wait wasn't that bad....I told you the whole time you were welcome to shoot mine!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:09:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Whitey has me down
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:50:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm not too worried about "the man" watchin me. I'm not doin anything illegal, I have a Government job and I'm a member of AR15.com and noones came crashin through my doors yet so heck, I might as well get me some cool toys!!

And Pattrick I might just take ya up on that offer to play with yer toys someday.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:53:29 PM EDT
[#23]
If you're talking about the individual stamped Class III items, it's all right. I'm just telling you if you want a Class  III FFL, it IS A HASSLE AND BRINGS LOTS OF SCRUTINY.  They can do an unscheduled inspection of your home or business premises at any time and rightfully so. Plus you have to worry about every scumbag casing you for burglary, etc. It just isn't worth the effort.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:54:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

And Pattrick I might just take ya up on that offer to play with yer toys someday.

Night shoot????????
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:53:13 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
If you're talking about the individual stamped Class III items, it's all right. I'm just telling you if you want a Class  III FFL, it IS A HASSLE AND BRINGS LOTS OF SCRUTINY.  They can do an unscheduled inspection of your home or business premises at any time and rightfully so once a year. Plus you have to worry about every scumbag casing you for burglary, etc. It just isn't worth the effort.this is the case at all times

I don't want to sell anything...just own machine guns and silenced weapons!! I didn't realize there was a difference between a class 3 license and a tax stamp for silencers and full auto weaponry. And Dan, in your teenage years did a class 3 item spank you and make you wear panties and make you call it daddy or something? From what I can tell you sound pretty much 100% against people using their rights to legally own these items. You didn't vote for Clinton did you??
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:57:03 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you're talking about the individual stamped Class III items, it's all right. I'm just telling you if you want a Class  III FFL, it IS A HASSLE AND BRINGS LOTS OF SCRUTINY.  They can do an unscheduled inspection of your home or business premises at any time and rightfully so once a year. Plus you have to worry about every scumbag casing you for burglary, etc. It just isn't worth the effort.this is the case at all times

I don't want to sell anything...just own machine guns and silenced weapons!! I didn't realize there was a difference between a class 3 license and a tax stamp for silencers and full auto weaponry. And Dan, in your teenage years did a class 3 item spank you and make you wear panties and make you call it daddy or something? From what I can tell you sound pretty much 100% against people using their rights to legally own these items. You didn't vote for Clinton did you??

A dealer gets a SOT license.  A buyer gets a canceled tax stamp.

Go ahead a pick out a NFA item and buy it, it will be fun trust me.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:57:30 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Whitey has me down

not me, well.............................sometimes when I let her on top, but I don't mind.

MLW>"<
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:10:31 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

+1

I'm pretty sure "the man" has better things to do then scrutinize my class III collection.  If "the man" doesn't.  Then "the man" is welcome to come shooting with me tomorrow...

You guys worry a little too much about how doing x,y, or z puts you on the government "bad" list.  My opinion is the government doesn't care and has more important things to worry about.  For what it's worth there have been stories related of LEO's in this state that have caught people with unregistered NFA stuff.  The local ATF offices weren't interested in prosecution.  Why?  Because they weren't interested in coming after people for what they considered trivial offenses.   And you think they're going to come after you for legally registered stuff?

(edited because I goobered up the quote system...)

Hmmm i seriously doubt ATF did not do this. They dont care who they bust cause they aint cops. Three years a go a large class III dealer in Little Rock got busted. I dont know what for. I DO know a bunch of deputied and cops that bought semi auto AK's and Ar's that the company had assembled. Atf seized the yellow sheets and hunted down each of the semi weapons and seized them . They said they were sending them to the lab to make sure that none of the parts had been modified from full auto ones or were full auto ones. They said if any of the parts were they were going to indict them and that they did not care who they worked for. Some of these officers have been sweating over a year, no guns and dont know about their future.
Of course I am older than many of you. But do you remember Fleming firearms, Qualified shooting Supplies and the others. ATF openly said if we cant get them legally we will bankrupt them. They went on a witch hunt. Several got prison terms who were excops. They did bankrupt all of them.
You have to realize that ATF works under a LOT looser set of laws than other agencies. It is not against the law to own a full auto weapon. It is against the law to own an UNTAXED weapon . Since they work under the tax codes they play by different rules. This was explained to me by a US Attorney one time when we were talking about it. I used to want to be an ATF agent. BUt I am pro-gun and pro-cop. I love guns and am a trained arson investigator but decided years ago I wanted to be a REAL cop.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:31:15 AM EDT
[#29]

Fleming, Qualified, Wrenn, etc... and the other guys you mentioned were all dealers or manufacturers.  ATF is much more interested in going after them then one individual.  I didn't want to ramble on and on in my original post, but at least in the OKC area it seems our ATF guys are much more concerned with auditing FFL holders then they are non-FFL firearm violators.  Does that mean I think everyone should go out and saw off their shotguns or convert their semis.  No.  Just from what I've seen the ATF folks around here, and really nationwide are going to focus their resources on FFL holders rather then individuals.  My guess it's the bigger headline motivation, bust one guy with a sawed off shotgun, nobody cares.  Bust a FFL holder that sold 100 sawed off shotguns, it's much bigger news.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:21:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
 scottsre - auditing and enforcement are two diiferent things with the ATF when it comes to the agents. And you're wrong about what kind of cases they want to make. They may have all kinds of cases already made and ready to make the busts. They may do them all at once for the publicity!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:27:54 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Nope, I just don't think it is worth the money and effort to buy one other than as an investment.
Rat, I don't think you even know the difference between an open bolt and closed bolt system when it comes to FA guns. And you could have put your insult in the right thread. It wasn't bad but I do think I deserve better than that. If that is the best you can do, then you better stay on the porch cuz you sure can't run with the big dawgs!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:11:29 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, I just don't think it is worth the money and effort to buy one other than as an investment.
Rat, I don't think you even know the difference between an open bolt and closed bolt system when it comes to FA guns. And you could have put your insult in the right thread. It wasn't bad but I do think I deserve better than that. If that is the best you can do, then you better stay on the porch cuz you sure can't run with the big dawgs!

Hahaha, did I ever mention to you guys that I like Clinton.

MLW>"<
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:43:22 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Hmmm i seriously doubt ATF did not do this. They dont care who they bust cause they aint cops. Three years a go a large class III dealer in Little Rock got busted. I dont know what for. I DO know a bunch of deputied and cops that bought semi auto AK's and Ar's that the company had assembled. Atf seized the yellow sheets and hunted down each of the semi weapons and seized them . They said they were sending them to the lab to make sure that none of the parts had been modified from full auto ones or were full auto ones. They said if any of the parts were they were going to indict them and that they did not care who they worked for. Some of these officers have been sweating over a year, no guns and dont know about their future.

Good post and a very good reason why filling out 4473's is a bad idea. If those guys would have bought thier hardware from private individuals, there would be no paper trail. Talk about some Gestapo tactics. Anyway, thanks for sharing.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:28:06 AM EDT
[#34]
 I'd like to know what scrutiny and hassel is envolved with a CIII license? You fill out a form and send in $500 and you get an SOT back. It's a hell of a lot easier than getting the FFL was.
 If your an FFL holder you can be interviewed by the ATF at anytime anyways so what's the difference? The only people that get in trouble are doing something illegal, a-la Flemming.
 As crazy as it seems, the ATF is not running around trying to prosecute gun dealers. All my dealings with them they have been more than helpful and very willing to help you make the right choices for our business.
 The worst part about have a CIII license is wanting to buy everything you see, the pre-sample guns are just to tempting! Everytime I go visit S&H I want new toys
Joe
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:13:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Joe, the ATF agents can be good guys to deal with then bust your chops in the next breath. I don't have any problem with them - they have a job to do and it is the law they enforce. But directives come down and they have to follow their orders. Stuff can lay on their desks for years then BANG, someone gets hung because they are told to make this case or that case.
You're right - it's no problem if you are legal.  I once was accused by someone (unknown) of having an illegal weapon and had the ATF agents leave a card in the front door. When I met with them, there were two agents and they were looking to bust me. I hadn't done anything wrong but they were trying every verbal trick in the book to get me to admit I had done something. I didn't like the situation - they had a job to do and I can't blame them for their methods, But that doesn't mean I liked it or even want to go through it again.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:23:24 PM EDT
[#36]
I used to know one of the agents here in Tulsa and tought he was a great guy and unbiased. Thye transferred him to another office and he published antigun articles. I could not beleive that someone was so two faced. He once told one of my family(who is a cop) who was looking at a SB shotgun. He said dont worry we would never do anything to law enforcement.

Yes I know fleming and others were manf/dealers. the owner of Qualified was and ex-trooper. They dont care who they mess with. After Ruby ridge (which they had to pay out for), Waco, where they said their need for the emergency circumstances was tha fact the children were in danger. Well guess what ATF has no jurisdiction over that crime and should of backed off and let the REAL cops handle it. I don think the branch Dividians were right and they sure needed to go to jail.  I get to go to training conferences all over the place, and unfortunately most ATF I run into now days are just anti-gun.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:28:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Sorry danc,  But I dont feel the same way.   Fuck-em,  they arnt here for me anyhow and never will be.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:42:26 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Sorry danc,  But I dont feel the same way.   Fuck-em,  they arnt here for me anyhow and never will be.

That is exactly how I felt for some time after my "contact" with them. But considering some of the things I have seen since then - the OKC bombing and 9/11 - I'll just have to accept the distasteful things they do with the good things they do.
The problem comes in with a young agent, fresh out of college, that can't wait to make a bust. Or upper management wanting to look good with a big bust. It's that way in many LE agencies, whether agents/officers want to admit it or not.
Politics is always the issue in any issue! I hope you understand what I mean, cuz I sure don't!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:49:20 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is exactly how I felt for some time after my "contact" with them. But considering some of the things I have seen since then - the OKC bombing and 9/11 - I'll just have to accept the distasteful things they do with the good things they do.
The problem comes in with a young agent, fresh out of college, that can't wait to make a bust. Or upper management wanting to look good with a big bust. It's that way in many LE agencies, whether agents/officers want to admit it or not.
Politics is always the issue in any issue! I hope you understand what I mean, cuz I sure don't!

It all sucks the same man  We just have to deal with it.  But yes certain indeviduals give a bad name for many on both sides of the spectrum.    I just hope it never turns into a war becuase I will be forced to fight.

In the mean time I am going to drink my Jack
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:49:25 PM EDT
[#40]
I know that I better stay out of this one before my blood pressure gets out of hand. The Gestapo of the 30's & 40's had a job to do too, but that doesn't mean it was the job they should have been doing.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:07:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Okay...lets get back on track here....I want to be able to legally own/ buy silencers n stuff. Like my AR for example....has a threaded barrel and it just seems like it needs more than the normal A3 or whatever flash hider, muzzel break, whatever it ias on it. Whats a guy gotta do to get me a can for this rifle....along with my 10/22 and Ruger Mark 1 pistola????
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:33:51 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Okay...lets get back on track here....I want to be able to legally own/ buy silencers n stuff. Like my AR for example....has a threaded barrel and it just seems like it needs more than the normal A3 or whatever flash hider, muzzel break, whatever it ias on it. Whats a guy gotta do to get me a can for this rifle....along with my 10/22 and Ruger Mark 1 pistola????

Find a SOT dealer, several have been mentioned.

Look over his inventory to find what you want, then buy it.  Fill out the Form 4

Get your local CLEO to sign the back of the form.

Get your pics and prints, and cut a check for $200.

Mail everything and wait. simple as that.

Your dealer will call you when he gets the apporved form with the cancled tax stamp on it, you then go to his store, fill out a 4473 and pick up your item.

Repeat the above for every NFA item you wish to buy.

Any questions?

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:40:41 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Look over his inventory to find what you want, then buy it.  Fill out the Form 4

Get your local CLEO to sign the back of the form. Whats a CLEO? C(ersomethin-er-another Law Enforcement Officer) I about said somethin but I'd hate to offend anyone readin this...I know most of ya'll....but anyways.....I'll shut up now.

Your dealer will call you when he gets the apporved form with the cancled tax stamp on it, you then go to his store, fill out a 4473 and pick up your item.

Repeat the above for every NFA item you wish to buy. So for EVERY say silencer I buy I have to spend an additional $200 buck on it for a canceled tax stamp?

Any questions?

Yes, above in red...lol
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:46:58 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Get your local CLEO to sign the back of the form. Whats a CLEO? C(ersomethin-er-another Law Enforcement Officer) I about said somethin but I'd hate to offend anyone readin this...I know most of ya'll....but anyways.....I'll shut up now.

Repeat the above for every NFA item you wish to buy. So for EVERY say silencer I buy I have to spend an additional $200 buck on it for a canceled tax stamp?

Any questions?

Yes, above in red...lol

CLEO, is the OK County Sheriff. You need him to sign off on the form.

Yes, for every silencer/suppressor you buy, you have to repaet the process.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:08:15 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any questions?

Yes, above in red...lol

CLEO, is the OK County Sheriff. You need him to sign off on the form.

Yes, for every silencer/suppressor you buy, you have to repaet the process.

Oh, ok....that sucks havin to spend the extra $200 beans but I'm sure its worth it! And I believe someone at one time said somethin about the Cleveland Counry Sherriff.....so how is he when it comes to these items. And I also believe that someone mentioned something about "he asked me why I wanted this/ these items(s) and I replied........." somethin that I don't remember.......somethin like....I want it for all legal reasons or somethin like that??
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:24:36 PM EDT
[#46]
CLEO can be the County Sheriff, Cheif of police, District Attny., and there are a few others.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Use a potato. It ain't as classy, a little messier, but damn sure cheaper!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:19:01 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Use a potato. It ain't as classy, a little messier, but damn sure cheaper!

I thought it was a two liter coke bottle and black tape, at least it worked for ponytail dude in whateverthehellname movie he made.

MLW>"<
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:28:02 AM EDT
[#49]
I thougtht the dude used a lawn mower muffler! Well, hell! You just can't believe the technical staff they hire to make props for movies!
The jerks took Mauser pistols and made ray guns for the first Star War movies!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:22:27 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Okay...lets get back on track here....I want to be able to legally own/ buy silencers n stuff. Like my AR for example....has a threaded barrel and it just seems like it needs more than the normal A3 or whatever flash hider, muzzel break, whatever it ias on it. Whats a guy gotta do to get me a can for this rifle....along with my 10/22 and Ruger Mark 1 pistola???? hr

RatTerrier, while you can use a 223/5.56 can to shoot 22lr through it is not without a few trade offs. 22lr cans are mostly made of AL for weight contol and are capable of handling 22lr pressures. While 223/5.56 cans are mostly made of different steels and are designed to handle the higher pressures genarated by the 223/5.56 round. If you need anything or have any more question Email me or contact me I would be glad to answer any of your questions. Take care, Bill
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top