Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2013 2:15:46 PM EDT
So some friends of mine and I are headed to Galveston the weekend of Feb 16th for a bachelor party.  Yes, I know its not the typical location for such an event.  Oh well.  

We're looking for some good places to eat and drink beer.  Nothing too wild and crazy.  Something fun to do during the day on Saturday besides sitting around the hotel would be nice.  

I know there is a lot of stuff on the Strand, but I haven't been down there since 2001.  There's also some stuff around the seawall, right?  

Thanks in advance for helping your coonass neighbors to the east have fun in Texas  
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Take a charter out to go deep sea fishing. Most of the stuff on the seawall is trash and that is including the new mini amusement park/tourist spot. Hit up ocean caberet if you want to catch the aidz
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 3:26:14 PM EDT
[#2]
My families favorite place for cold beer and excellent fried shrimp is a local place by Ball high school called Shrimp-n-Stuff it's located on on the corner of 39th (Mike Gaido Blvd) and O 1/2, It's out of the tourist trap BS. The sea wall is tourist oriented. The strand area is tourist shopping oriented thought there are a few bars.

We love going to Lone Star Flight museum they have great air craft though it does not take a lot of time.

Schlitterbahn has a indoor water park on Galveston now it's open year round.

Personally sitting on the beach in fall is something I enjoy and as a matter of fact did just that last sunday.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 4:00:28 PM EDT
[#3]
If you like beer go to beerfoot beach bar they have about 100 different beers and the slands only micro brewery. Also
hit island famous on the seewall its 5 different venus at one place . Have fun alao if you dont mind a short ride off the island check out
Kemah boardwalk great food here
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 4:26:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Agree...stay away from the tourist areas......
check out Leo's Cajun Corner / 3201 Broadway, Galveston, Texas 77550  ph.409-765-5151
great boudin / riblets / chicken sausage gumbo / etouffee / pork sandwiches / jambalaya / poboys / etc. (this is a local joint...they are not open late).

cheap date for me and the wife....get our Leo's food to go......then drive to the Boliver Ferry (park in the side lot...walk on the ferry and make a round trip)
And....if you pour your beer, in some of those super large, insulated mugs...the crew does not know you are consuming beer.
(this being a guy trip...this may not work for you gents.  But I posted this for other to take note for their g/f or wife.)

The Lone Star Flight Museum is super / you also have the USS Cavalla / USS Stewart on Pelican Island.
or...you can take the Bolivar Ferry across....then drive to Crystal Beach, and eat at the Stingaree, 1295 North Stingaree Road, Crystal Beach, TX
(on the intracoastal canal / ph. 409-684-2731)
Oysters and soft shell crabs......!
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
check out Leo's Cajun Corner / 3201 Broadway, Galveston, Texas 77550  ph.409-765-5151
great boudin / riblets / chicken sausage gumbo / etouffee / pork sandwiches / jambalaya / poboys / etc. (this is a local joint...they are not open late).

cheap date for me and the wife....get our Leo's food to go......then drive to the Boliver Ferry (park in the side lot...walk on the ferry and make a round trip)
And....if you pour your beer, in some of those super large, insulated mugs...the crew does not know you are consuming beer.
(this being a guy trip...this may not work for you gents.  But I posted this for other to take note for their g/f or wife.)

The Lone Star Flight Museum is super / you also have the USS Cavalla / USS Stewart on Pelican Island.
or...you can take the Bolivar Ferry across....then drive to Crystal Beach, and eat at the Stingaree, 1295 North Stingaree Road, Crystal Beach, TX

Yes Stingaree has great food and a good view of the inter coastal, I recommend their Shrimp Avocado salad, but everything is good.

If you cross the ferry to the Crystal Beach side beach access is easy, as in you can drive right on to the beach, but I believe you must have a vehicle permit to do so. My son takes my jeep down their and it gets a new permit sticker on a regular basis, so keep that in mind too.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 6:02:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all of the information gents.  This is exactly what I was looking for.  

What about live music?  Surely some of those excellent Texas Country artists are playing in Galveston, right?
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 6:23:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Is the nude beach still there around Crystal beach. Remember that from my post high school years a long time ago.
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 7:41:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is the nude beach still there around Crystal beach. Remember that from my post high school years a long time ago.

8 guys that are close friends of mine on a beach full of old, wrinkly sun worshipers?  no thanks.  

not that i'm opposed to being outdoors naked, just not on a bachelor party.
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 8:01:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Lone Star Flight Museum
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 5:06:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Lone Star Flight Museum

Book a flight and go for a ride on a bomber.

Fish Tails is not bad if you want to grab a drink or a bite to eat and watch the water/people.

Definitely skip the nekked sunbathing.

Link Posted: 1/31/2013 6:44:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I left Galveston 10 days after the hurricane hit. Was there from 24 hrs after it hit until I got demobed. Not much choice back then.

Haven't been back yet.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Brick House Tavern.  Boobs and beer.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 8:59:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lone Star Flight Museum

Book a flight and go for a ride on a bomber.

Fish Tails is not bad if you want to grab a drink or a bite to eat and watch the water/people.

Definitely skip the nekked sunbathing.

If fish tails is across the street from the pleasure pier, then I thought it was way overpriced and crowded.  On the seawall I like "the spot"  

http://www.islandfamous.com/thespot/img/docs/SPOT_Menu_WEB_052512_2.pdf
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 9:28:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes Stingaree has great food and a good view of the inter coastal, I recommend their Shrimp Avocado salad, but everything is good.

If you cross the ferry to the Crystal Beach side beach access is easy, as in you can drive right on to the beach, but I believe you must have a vehicle permit to do so. My son takes my jeep down their and it gets a new permit sticker on a regular basis, so keep that in mind too.

I didn't need one to cruise up and down the beach... #shrug

Edit: See my avatar.....
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:35:47 AM EDT
[#15]
the spot.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#16]
we'll definitely be checking out the Brick House Tavern.  My brother and I like Shiner and such, and the groom likes PBR  

the spot sounds pretty cool too.
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 12:27:00 AM EDT
[#17]
-On the Seawall you have The Spot which has several different places all in one. (Drip is a nighclub stlye place that often has a cover band, Rum Shack for mixed drinks, Tiki Bar and a Tequila Bar I forget the name of as well as the Spot itself for food.)
-Right down the street is Brick House. (Their Drunken Pork Chop is great)
-AVOID THE PLEASURE PIER!!! That place is a tourist trap and there isn't anything there for you guys.
-There's a club/bar (idk) at the San Luis hotel that is supposed to be nice.
-Right at 25th (Rosenberg) and Strand there's a place called Crows that gets pretty popular some nights.
-There's a country bar called Buckshot that's on Market and 24th (between 24th and 25th)
-Murphey's Pub is a good place to hang out and they have really good pizza. (22nd [Kempner] and Mechanic)
-Of COURSE you should hit up Whispers and see if the one legged stripper is working.  (20th and Mechanic)

If you want to go fishing there are several charters. Galveston Party boats has some tours that are inexpensive but the boat holds something like 80 people. If you're after something more for just your group call Green Water Guide Service (281)799-5728
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 9:20:00 AM EDT
[#18]
I' drive up to Dickinson & eat @ Gihooley's.

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks again for all the tips guys.  If any of y'all are local, and here that distinct, coonass accent this weekend, amble on over and i'll buy y'all a beer.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:05:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Go to Willie G's, if nothing else, for dessert.

Best bread pudding of all time. Period. But I'm the kind of person that would driver from Cypress to Galveston just for bread pudding.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:17:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Go to Willie G's, if nothing else, for dessert.

Best bread pudding of all time. Period. But I'm the kind of person that would driver from Cypress to Galveston just for bread pudding.

Thanks for the heads up, never had the bread pudding there.  I developed a string fondness for bread pudding after an extended stay in the French Quarter .
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:49:23 AM EDT
[#22]
You should wait for April and attend the Kappa Beach Party.  

It's a real riot.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:34:07 AM EDT
[#23]
do not eat at Guido's however it is spelled.  In the 70's it was damn good but not any more.

there are a couple of Italian places that are good  one of them only takes cash but I don't remember the names or streets.

It you want a Pizza buffet with extra stuff go to the Mario's on 61 street it is better than the one on the seawall.  I like the deep dish pizza there.

The other recommendations in above post are good.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 7:26:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You should wait for April and attend the Kappa Beach Party.  

It's a real riot.

I see what you did there.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 7:40:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Gaido's use to have two restaurants one in front & another in back. The one in back required a jacket & they would lend you one if you didn't have one. So my FIL insisted it was one of those must eat @ places so the wife & I went. I thought it sucked & was way over priced. Then last October my buddies wife had a pecan pie from them that was totally rocking.

Quoted:

do not eat at Guido's however it is spelled.  In the 70's it was damn good but not any more.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:34:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I haven't been to Guidos since over 10 years ago however at that time the meal I had was awesome and was over-priced.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top