Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
6/25/2018 7:04:05 PM
Posted: 6/16/2018 3:25:42 AM EDT
I travel for work sometimes. If I can, I try to do 2 things: 1) try to eat at the best pizza place in town and 2) spend a half day doing non-work stuff before my flight home. Nothing crazy. Last trip I was in El Paso and I rode the tram and stopped at a place to have a burger. Good times. The question here is: what to do in Omaha with a half day? Can you see any amount of the zoo in a half day? Seems pretty big. Pose next to the 'welcome to Iowa' sign for a selfie? Any/all advice from the natives appreciated...especially on the pizza front. Trip Advisor and Google maps can steer you wrong sometimes...
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 10:11:28 PM EDT
The zoo would be a good idea. Keep in mind, the College World Series starts soon so the city will be much more packed than usual, including the zoo.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 11:05:46 PM EDT
This trip will be at the very end of August, hopefully the place isn't toooooo busy during that time frame, because busy or not I'm going!
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 9:32:30 AM EDT
I dont live in Omaha so I can't speak on pizza joints, but even a half day at the zoo is well worth it! I haven't been in years and they have added a bunch of stuff since then!

Also if you are into aerospace/military airplanes you should go to the SAC museum near Ashland. Its about a 30 min drive west on i80 from the zoo.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 6:18:22 PM EDT
You can see a lot of the zoo in 1/2 day.
There are several good pizza places. I like La Casa.
https://lacasapizzaria.net/
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 8:33:02 PM EDT
Awesome, thanks! It looks like I may be making a second trip there sometime in July, so maybe I can hit the SAC museum and the zoo, that'd be great.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 9:09:48 PM EDT
IF you really enjoy zoos, then you should probably go since the Omaha zoo is very good. It wouldn't be my choice though.

I would prefer the SAC museum, but it is way west from downtown. I'd even prefer the Durham Western Heritage museum- but I'm more of a history/museum type.

A couple of pizza places I like, that are fairly close to downtown are Pitch at 50th and Underwood or La Casa near 44th and Leavenworth (although I haven't been there in a while)

I think Omaha is a nice place to live, but not too exciting to visit, IMO
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 12:47:41 AM EDT
My wife loves zoos, so my current plan is to hit the SAC museum in July and the zoo in August. Should be a good time. I doubt I would like NE winter's much, but I'm glad I'll get the chance to visit.
Top Top