Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
7/8/2020 3:01:36 PM
Posted: 9/30/2005 12:33:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/30/2005 1:03:29 PM EDT by AR15fan]
I went to three Orange county gunstores looking for a new levergun.  I had cash in pocket and was willing to take any of the following rifles.

Win Timber Scout .30-30
Win Timber Scout .44Mag
Marlin 1894FG .41 Mag
Marlin 336Y Spikehorn .30-30
Marlin 1895P .44Mag

I went to Turners in Orange, Big 5 in Lake Forest, and On Target in Laguna Niguel.  None of the stores had any of the rifles I was looking for.  Big 5 actually had the best selection of lever guns, but was sold out of 44mags. Turners did have a nice winchester with ghost ring sights, but it was in .450 Marlin.

So i guess its back to the internet.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:34:43 PM EDT
this guy, leo, has always given some fair prices.  lives a little ways out from the OC, manhattan beach at his house, but a great guy to do business with.  check out his sight:

West Coast Guns

if you can't find it on the website, just give him a call or email, he can probably order it directly.

-dan
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:45:26 PM EDT
didja go to fowlers?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:40:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/30/2005 6:42:04 PM EDT by NeoWeird]
And if their available stock isn't bad enough, you seem to find jerks that treat you like trash like the time when I was 19 and I went into a shop that wouldn't sell to me because they thought I was too young.

I had $700 cash and $5k on my debit card and I was going in to buy a Volquartsen 10/22, a M1A, and possibly a gun safe. I asked them about the 10/22 and I pulled out my wallet. They told me to come back when I had the money. I then told them I had the money and they told me they were getting ready to close down and didn't want to bother with a transaction; I pointed out it was only 5 and they closed at 7. The guys looked around and finally one got up from the desk where they were all talking and said something along the lines of  "Look kid, why don't you go home and think about it, and if you really want to buy a gun you can come back later."

I have never since even looked at the shop and I tell everyone I know to avoid it.

I am starting to think that it might just be cheapier and easier to order online and have them ship it to the a local licensed pawn shop.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:37:57 PM EDT
yea i went to the fowlers in orange.  i'm 22  years old and came in wearing causual clothes.  i walked around and stared at a bunch of guns in the glass cabinet and behind the counter.  i was there for at least 20 mins or so and no one bothered to give me the time of day.  i'm not the biggest fan of turners, but at least they give me some respect when i walk in the door...
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:59:27 PM EDT
Traders in San Leandro.. Until I found out that I worked (at the time) with the sister of one of the sales people there, I would never get service, and right now he's the only reason I even go there. The first time I was there I had to reach over and grab one of the guys as he walked by for the fifth time or so in order to get service.

The elder asian guy there is a freaking asshole - he ALWAYS is butting into conversations and telling people that "they don't need this" or "this caliber is for women" or "you're buying an assault weapon and will be arrested for it" (when I was buying the FAB-10 a couple years back) Last time I was there he was telling another sales person "if you don't know how to do this (out of state transfer) then you must be stupid)

I'm really really trying to resist telling this jerk off, he's got me so close to never coming back.

I have since found a much  nicer dealer in Fairfield and I figure out what I want, call him up and he'll order it for a good price. Come up, do the paperwork, wait, go back and pick it up.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:13:35 PM EDT
I'm not a huge fan of Turners except for two aspects: the in store selection is nice eye candy and a man by the name of Dennis in San Bernardino. Hands down the coolest guy I have ever met in the gun world, not to mention he is a sales guy who knows his crap. He can tell me the actual difference between models of guns, quote prices off the top of his head, and has good general insight into all my questions.

I remember one time I asked about a shotgun by a company named Baikal. Some sales guy told me he never heard of them and they wouldn't order from them. The next time I was in there Dennis goes and says something like "yeah, it's under contract with Remington as Spartan in the states. Let me see what we got of it right now." Damn nice guy to deal with.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:51:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By leelaw:
Traders in San Leandro...

There's a guy there or at least was, by the name of "Dick".  His name fits his attitude.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:09:31 PM EDT
That's why I don't buy here. Of all the gunshops there's only one that I do business (range too) with and I don't mind driving for half hour to get there. It is ironic when people say support the local gunshops but when all you see are jackassess, then you just buy online or drive to your homestate.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:27:41 AM EDT
Have you tried Fowlers in Orange?  They used to have a fairly decent selection of guns there awhile back, I haven't been their in 10 years though.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:42:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By leelaw:
Traders in San Leandro.. Until I found out that I worked (at the time) with the sister of one of the sales people there, I would never get service, and right now he's the only reason I even go there. The first time I was there I had to reach over and grab one of the guys as he walked by for the fifth time or so in order to get service.

The elder asian guy there is a freaking asshole - he ALWAYS is butting into conversations and telling people that "they don't need this" or "this caliber is for women" or "you're buying an assault weapon and will be arrested for it" (when I was buying the FAB-10 a couple years back) Last time I was there he was telling another sales person "if you don't know how to do this (out of state transfer) then you must be stupid)

I'm really really trying to resist telling this jerk off, he's got me so close to never coming back.

I have since found a much  nicer dealer in Fairfield and I figure out what I want, call him up and he'll order it for a good price. Come up, do the paperwork, wait, go back and pick it up.

BIG +1
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:18:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By prisner4jc:
this guy, leo, has always given some fair prices.  lives a little ways out from the OC, manhattan beach at his house, but a great guy to do business with.  check out his sight:

West Coast Guns

if you can't find it on the website, just give him a call or email, he can probably order it directly.

-dan

+ 1

PS:  He's in Redondo Beach
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:57:18 AM EDT
Bolsa Gunsmithing has some deals on Winchester lever actions.  Call them and check it out.  They are on Bolsa between Beach and Westminster near the railroad track.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:17:47 AM EDT
I had heard Bolsa gets the Big 5 rejects and fixes them up.  I don't know if it is true.  

Let's face it.  Guns attract the most socially dysfunctional of our society.  Many of them decide to work in gunstores.  Going to a gunshow is like attending the freak bar scene in a Star Wars movie.  

There are infinitely more good gunowners than bad.  But, we do get more than our fair share of freaks.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:56:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dave3006:
I had heard Bolsa gets the Big 5 rejects and fixes them up.  I don't know if it is true.  

Let's face it.  Guns attract the most socially dysfunctional of our society.  Many of them decide to work in gunstores.  Going to a gunshow is like attending the freak bar scene in a Star Wars movie.  

There are infinitely more good gunowners than bad.  But, we do get more than our fair share of freaks.  

That's not neccissarly true. When I went in for my 1911 a month ago, all the clerks were busy and the first guy to get open was a guy who I swear would have been a gangster the next day if he was fired (tattos on the neck, thin mustache typiclal of cholos, etc) I wasn't sure if he would even know much about the subject aside from 'guns shoot and can kill people'. Turns out he was a really nice guy and knew quite a bit. Of course afterwards I felt like an ass for even thinking poorly about him before actually meeting him, but it just goes to show that ANYONE can be in the bussiness and ANYONE can be a great person to deal with. We just get a pretty evenly spread out layer of crap cop rejects who would rather sell guns than do security and their asshole atitudes and actions weight out the awesome guys who end up getting obscured.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:20:07 PM EDT
You are right.  Poor or strange physical appearance does not  always predict what a person is on the inside.  Some of the most eccentric looking people I have met have turned out to be good people.

I was speaking more about attitudes and actions.  Guns have a way of drawing many people with poor social skills and chips on their shoulders.  It is just the way things are.  Nothing we can do about it.  

(In case anyone reads these comments as anti-gun.  I am pro-gun.  I believe you have more of a right to a machine gun than a Ruger 10/22.  I believe you have the right to carry anything you want anywhere you want based on the constitution.  You shouldn't have to take tests or have waiting periods.  Basically, almost all our laws are unconstitutional.)
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:42:18 PM EDT
What about The Grant Boys in Coasta Mesa?
We used to stop in there to gun window shop after a day at the beach.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:23:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dave3006:
You are right.  Poor or strange physical appearance does not  always predict what a person is on the inside.  Some of the most eccentric looking people I have met have turned out to be good people.

I was speaking more about attitudes and actions.  Guns have a way of drawing many people with poor social skills and chips on their shoulders.  It is just the way things are.  Nothing we can do about it.  

(In case anyone reads these comments as anti-gun.  I am pro-gun.  I believe you have more of a right to a machine gun than a Ruger 10/22.  I believe you have the right to carry anything you want anywhere you want based on the constitution.  You shouldn't have to take tests or have waiting periods.  Basically, almost all our laws are unconstitutional.)

When I took my handgun test I thought it was the stupidest waste of time and money, anyone could have passed it without reading or even thinking for that matter. Then it hit me: If someone truely had trouble with those questions and could not pass with an 80% or better, than they would not mentally understand the importance of gun safety and they should get more instruction on the subject before they would be a safe gun owner. That doesn't mean they can't own one, I'm just saying they would be unsafe with it.

I also think you aren't truely American unless you arm yourself.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:22:46 AM EDT
I Emailed Grant Boys and Bolso to check availability.
Top Top