Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/4/2003 6:55:25 AM EDT
Donna will need to get her CCW here in the next few weeks. This means finding and purchasing a carry gun for her.

Most of you have met her before. She's not exactly what you would call recoil sensitive, as evidenced by her shooting slugs out of my coach gun at the FOP range a few months back. She's shot 9mm and .45 before, and had no qualms about either (though she liked the .45 more, I think).

So, here are the requirements:

Affordable - Yeah, every girl would love to have a fully tricked out Les Baer or Kimber, but I'd like to set the bar at $450-500 or less. Also, ammo shouldn't cost $2 a round (so no Desert Eagle .50, s0ulzer0).

Concealable - Must easily fit in a glovebox or small purse, and be easily concealed on her person. This really isn't that difficult of an issue.

Must have an active safety - Fuck off, Glock.

No mouse guns - Sure, .22s are fun and all, and more people have been killed by .22s blah blah shot placement blah blah blah. Fuck you, get a larger caliber.

No wrist-breakers - While I think she wouldn't mind shooting a .454 Casull once or twice, she might shy away from practicing with the thing if it gives her carpal tunnel after 10 minutes of shooting.

So, what are your suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 7:13:17 AM EDT
Kimber .45
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 7:19:22 AM EDT
How about a good ole S&W (I know, I know).
Mod 32 or a Mod 60. The 60 is my missus's
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 7:26:12 AM EDT
Colt Defender.

It's the only gun I'd buy for concealed carry if I weren't big enough to conceal a full sized 1911.
But I am, so I can conceal a 1911.

CJ
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 7:52:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cmjohnson:
Colt Defender.

CJ

That's one choice, I like mine and you felt how light it was.

There's a nice pre-owned Sig 229 .40 with night sights up at Bernies, don't recall the price
as I was looking at and buying the 228.

Bernies has 5 or 6 various preowned SIGs up there, and the hammer drop/Decocker safety is real nice!
Keep one in the tube, double action pull, single action for the rest of the mag!

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 8:18:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By s0ulzer0:

Colt Defender.

Yours is alloy frame, is it not? Do they make steel frame Defenders?
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 8:24:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By the_reject:

Originally Posted By s0ulzer0:

Colt Defender.

Yours is alloy frame, is it not? Do they make steel frame Defenders?

Not that I know of. The Defender was made for CCW, thus alloy. It's well balanced and not
"whippy" like you would think for it's size.

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 9:00:57 AM EDT
Glo...oh...I just noticed criteria #3...

Seriously, if I had to carry a gun with a safety, it would be one of the compact 1911 variants. Go with the 4" barrel if you can as barrel length really doesn't affect concealability. The 3" and 4" guns have the same grip length which is what really affects concealability so why not get the extra 1" in barrel length?
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 11:43:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/4/2003 11:47:36 AM EDT by GAcop]
The best thing for a female is a good old wheelgun. They're foolproof. I sell more women Taurus Ultra-Lites than anything else and they love 'em. Only thing that doesn't match your criteria is a safety. Revolvers don't need one. You should be able to get a new one for around $300. 5 shots of .38 +P is enough for anyone. If she really likes a .45, I have a Kimber Ultra Carry Stainless trade-in I can let you have for $550 cash. I sold it to a deputy and bought it back from him a month or so later when he needed some cash. I don't think he shot it. IM me if interested.

Mark
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 4:08:44 PM EDT
taurus cia in 38special. Use +p loads for ccw. easy shooting, well made, small enough to conceal and still packs a mean punch.

Mona carries hers in a purse with the rip open center pocket. If she purse carries look for one with a stell mesh in the strap. This prevents the cut the strap and run purse snatching.

mike
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 6:40:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/4/2003 6:42:18 PM EDT by chainshaw]
Reject,
Have you looked at the Springfield XD9 Subcompact? I really like mine and it is very accurate. ARH and Bookhound have both shot it and liked it. Best of all, it can be had for $399 new.

It has a similar trigger safety as a Glock, but also adds a grip safety like a 1911. It also has a loaded chamber indicator and a firing pin indicater.

Link Posted: 10/5/2003 4:38:39 AM EDT
chainshaw's XD9 is really nice, but I'm gonna vote with the guys who recommended a revolver. Here's why:

Unless Donna is going to practice reloading, clearing jams, etc. with an auto-loading pistol, in a stressful situation she may very well fail one of those tasks IF necessary. With a revolver, you just keep pulling the trigger. If a round fails to fire because of a bad primer, the next round is just a click away.

I still think Donna should practice her shooting, but with a revolver there are some things she simply won't have to worry about. That is exactly the reason my Mrs. carries an old S&W model 37. Plus, its something she feels comfortable shooting.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 6:51:50 AM EDT
Wheelguns look to be the way to go. I'm thinking I'll get her a revolver first, then a pistol later on to practive with.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 2:46:33 PM EDT
if you guys make it to BEERSTOCK this month she can shoot monas all she wants.

mike
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 3:07:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
if you guys make it to BEERSTOCK this month she can shoot monas all she wants.

Sorry guy. We got plans that weekend that involve 20 gallons of homebrew and classic German automobiles.
Top Top