Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2007 9:10:35 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:48:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I probably would have driven down there.

But, you should put a lock on the gate.  Give everybody who needs access a copy of the key.  Such a simple solution.  Might cost you a few bucks to make as many copies of the key as you need, but no big deal.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:49:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I probably would have gone up to one of the vehicles to find out what the hell is going on. Perhaps they don't know there are living quarters up there or something but either way I woiuld have let my presence be known. Having obvious weaponry with me would also let them know I wasn't playing around.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:56:09 AM EDT
[#4]
any kind of motion triggered floodlights you could get down there, to make them aware that someone else could be around/watching them ?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:58:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
any kind of motion triggered floodlights you could get down there, to make them aware that someone else could be around/watching them ?

I was just thinking I might also get a cordless spotlight and keep it charged up and near the door also. Shine back.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:00:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I think it was the feds scoping you out.  

They probably didn't go any further than they did because they spotted you with their NVG's and decided to boogie and come back later when you're not home.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:02:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:08:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm with Jafo...Spot 'em back
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:08:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I think you want a confrontation but a peaceful one. Just talk to them and let them know that if they have permission from other landowners out there to hunt or spotlight that they need to get the boundaries from them. Let them know that some of the property is off limits to hunting so they need to make sure they aren't disturbing folks on that land.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:09:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I like that one.

Also, I’d probably call the Sheriff’s department and just give them a heads up, let them know what you saw. Not that it’ll ever come to anything, just good practice.

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#11]
This sounds like yet another problem that can be solved with the proper application of tannerite!
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:21:31 AM EDT
[#12]
BELTDUMP!
NoHair
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:22:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Confrontation is such a strong and divisive term.  I would saunter down and inquire as to there purpose for being on my property.  I would then ask them if they realized they were trespassing.  When they say they didn't I would say well now you do.  Please stay off the property.  Let them know that there have been serious issues re: trespassers and they wouldn't want to be mistaken for the really bad guys.

I would do it with my .45 on my hip and a rifle in the gun rack of the pick up.

There is the possibility they were ODFW folks doing a head count.  That can be confirmed or denied with a phone call to the local office and talking to the deer/elk guy/gal.  By the way it is a midemeanor to spotlight any game animal while in possession of a firearm.

Personally I would call OSP and have them send someone.  I would ask them, for my security, to not mention that I had called but to just drive up and ask if everything is OK.  You would then say, in an unknowing way, yeah everything seems to be OK.  I just saw these guys pointing a spotlight around and wondered what was going on.  I'm satisfied they didn't mean any harm to me.

The policeman would be all over that one.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:25:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Another thing.

In my neck of the woods I would be careful about blocking them in.  I had a case like that where I ended up defending the guy for stabbing two guys and ultimately shooting one of them.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:25:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:28:44 AM EDT
[#16]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

I was just thinking I might also get a cordless spotlight and keep it charged up and near the door also. Shine back. hink
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:30:04 AM EDT
[#17]
They where operating under the cover of darkness you should have mooned them.

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:47:04 AM EDT
[#18]
I guess it's a little unclear to me about the other ranches. Is this all the same landowner's property? The guy that doesn't allow hunting, etc? Are the other ranches further up different land owners? Even if the same landowner could these folks have been guests of the other tenants?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:57:51 AM EDT
[#19]
you had tracers, right?
I would have fired a few warning shots where they could have seen the tracers.
I hate people who don't respect property lines.
few years ago, I was riding our 4-wheeler around, and some asshole had set up a blind and some decoys (geese) in one of our fields.  never asked us, just set everything up.  the 4-wheeler scared the geese away, and I told him he was in private property.  he was surprisingly calm about it, I figured he would freak out because I scared "his" geese away.

we've had people drive up our private roads lots of other times too.

one of the best stories:  last year, just before harvest, one of our irrigated fields has peas in it.  it's right off the highway, and some dumbass driving a semi loaded with water got lost at 1 am and decided to turn around IN THE FIELD.  keep in mind, we were still irrigating, so there was a good 6" of soft mud.  after he got stuck, he just left the truck there, we later found out that the driver didn't have a CDL, and instead of getting caught he called his buddy to pick him up.
they had to empty the truck before they could get it out... did I mention we had to pull him out with a tractor? (the local tow truck couldn't budge it)  fuck I hate people.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 11:03:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 11:23:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Maybe make a report to the County. That way, if anything goes on, they have a record of people having been on the property before.Take a real good look around in daylight to check if anything is amiss.

Edited to add: Boots and coveralls by the bed are handy. Real easy and quick to get into.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 11:39:33 AM EDT
[#22]
I too live on a private road with two more residences further down so I can't block it with a locked gate.

So I installed a highend video camera with a huge telephoto lens. It captures video and stills of every vehicle coming and going, including license plates. Images are uploaded offsite before a vehicle can even make it to my driveway.

Identification of the probable bad guy is the main objective. Try to get their license plates if there is a next time.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 11:41:42 AM EDT
[#23]
I was just thinking how it may have evolved. I'm thinking perhaps the first vehicle you saw was one of the tenants/ranch owners/whatever and perhaps he was with the following vehicles at the pub. "You should see all the elk/deer/snipe that roam out by my place" "let's go spot them" "I'm going to bed but go ahead and check it out". ...something like that.

Anyway, they may have thought they had a right to be out there. That is why I would confront them peacefully, but armed, to let them know there are other ranches out there and they can't just go and do that. I know it's not in season but usually when I was with folks spotting it was to find runs *before* hunting season.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 12:29:42 PM EDT
[#24]
You done good.

Personally, I like the choice of the M4, vs a handgun.  Does the M4 have a light?

Maybe add some motion activated bright ass lights to the barn area?  

No sense in walking down there an confronting a group of drunk teenagers, if you don't have to.  Stay on the porch, defend you and yours, call the popo if you feel the need.

AR will fill the gap between call and arrival nicely.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 12:45:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 12:52:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#27]
height=8
Quoted:
Maybe make a report to the County. That way, if anything goes on, they have a record of people having been on the property before.Take a real good look around in daylight to check if anything is amiss.

Edited to add: Boots and coveralls by the bed are handy. Real easy and quick to get into.

At least he had underwear on.  This is my rifle. This is my gun. This is for fighting and this is for fun!
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:02:53 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Come to think of it, if I do confront, I have the upper hand all the way around.

If they run, I'm all too familiar with the roads.

The electronic gate opener at the end of the road, it takes at least 20 seconds to open wide enough to get a small pickup thru, damn near 30seconds for my full size ford. I have a remote to that gate, of which, I can push the button and override the button they have pushed.  If it comes to it, I can pin them by the county road untill the CSD shows up, if they do.

Or, you might want to ask yourself, do you need all this trouble if the worst that they do is shine a light on your deer?

A new no trespassing/hunting sign might be all the hint thats required...
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:06:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:29:07 PM EDT
[#30]
while I hate the disrespecting of property rights, trespassing and poaching as much as the next guy, I wholly support the path of least resistance. Confrontation should be a last resort, especially if there are simpler ways, such as flooding the area with light or sounding a loud alarm(using car batteries if there's no mains), that would drive them to find easier pickings. Never assume you have the upper hand, you have no idea how well they may be armed,scoped and NV'd and it sounds like they outnumber you. A little investment in some lights, some cameras and a sign that says "you are being video taped and transmitted to a secure location" might work wonders..

expensive camera stuff
cheaper camera stuffs
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:49:10 PM EDT
[#31]
why not just let loose all of those rabid racoons you have been hoarding?  Strap some lasers on their heads and you will be set.  Perhaps a long range racoon-o-polt would be in order.  Send in the 102nd racoon airborne battalion!!!!
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:52:13 PM EDT
[#32]
A PA system would be nice to have. Do what we did when I lived in the middle of nowhere... 12GA flare gun. That will get some attention quick and lights up the situation quite well.

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:55:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:57:30 PM EDT
[#34]
here's hoping they don't bring Bull snakes.......
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:39:43 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
here's hoping they don't bring Bull snakes.......

he would be sooo boned.  But hey, the high pitched squeel that could be heard 3 counties over would probably send em packin.  Less than lethals, always a good choice
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:36:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Sorry Peta,
That was me bringing the money I owe you.  I got scared when I saw you in your boxers and what looked like a blow up sheep.  
Figured I better come back in the day light.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:04:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Post s sign that says TRESPASSERS WILL BE VIOLATED.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:05:37 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Or, you might want to ask yourself, do you need all this trouble if the worst that they do is shine a light on your deer?

There is no need to post any new signs, it is already clearly posted.

With tens of thousands of dollars in equipment, over 50K in livestock and such being all too accessible, yes, a confrontation will be warrented if they repeat last night.

Bottom line, it is behind a closed gate clearly posted.  I let it go once, it will not happen again.

Ok... I understand what you are saying, I just don't think its a particularly wise move to confront (probably) multiple armed persons in the middle of the night, miles from anywhere, on your own.

I would feel better about this if you had some backup.
At the very least, call OSP before moving.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:17:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Throw a chain and lock the gait with them inside.  Find cover and get small. When they hop out to inspect the chain they probably will leave the guns in the truck and be right in front of their headlights.
Then jump out and yell, "I AM RICK JAMES BITCH"  or pull your peter out of your fly and if they look you can kick them in the ass and call them fags. Or if your really daring do the bat wing for 2 kicks.

Or have you thought of a 12G bird bomb. Those things rock.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is no need to post any new signs, it is already clearly posted.

With tens of thousands of dollars in equipment, over 50K in livestock and such being all too accessible, yes, a confrontation will be warrented if they repeat last night.

Bottom line, it is behind a closed gate clearly posted.  I let it go once, it will not happen again.

Ok... I understand what you are saying, I just don't think its a particularly wise move to confront (probably) multiple armed persons in the middle of the night, miles from anywhere, on your own.

I would feel better about this if you had some backup.
At the very least, call OSP before moving.

He has a right to protect his property and that of the landowner. A confrontation is very appropriate to the situation especially when police response out there is at least double digits in minutes. Sure they may be armed but he has the upper hand knowing the lay out of the land aand he knows how to handle the weapon. Most likely since they are spot lighting they are not good enough shots to do it the legal way so they have to paralyze the animal with light. This wimpy don't ever confront type of attitude is exactly why are conutry is the way it is. If more people stood up for themselves we migh tbe better off around here. No trespassing means NO TRESSAPASSING, not "if you tresspass, I will be non-confrontational about it and hope you leave without any incident."

Go get'em peta and give me a holler if ya need back up....just have some pants on first.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:13:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Big spotlight triggered by motion detectors......and rubber bullets...

There's an old saying " tracers work both ways ".  I would imagine a laser would be even worse...

I do think lighting would be the best deterent, if you're doing something you're not supposed to, being lit up like the sun is gonna make you go the other way.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 7:21:28 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I'm gonna put up a new sign.

Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again.

You forgot the interrogation!

Spambo
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 7:24:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 9:37:20 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
He has a right to protect his property and that of the landowner. A confrontation is very appropriate to the situation especially when police response out there is at least double digits in minutes. Sure they may be armed but he has the upper hand knowing the lay out of the land aand he knows how to handle the weapon. Most likely since they are spot lighting they are not good enough shots to do it the legal way so they have to paralyze the animal with light. This wimpy don't ever confront type of attitude is exactly why are conutry is the way it is. If more people stood up for themselves we migh tbe better off around here. No trespassing means NO TRESSAPASSING, not "if you tresspass, I will be non-confrontational about it and hope you leave without any incident."

Go get'em peta and give me a holler if ya need back up....just have some pants on first.

Not saying that he shouldn't.
All I am saying is that these are criminals (poaching/illegal hunting/trespassing is a crime).

They are almost certainly armed.

If you are going to get (by choice) into a situation where you might need to use force, then make certain that you have enough of it.

A bit like not taking a knife to a gunfight.

I just NEVER want to read something like:

Early this morning, the bullet-riddled body of a rancher was found by his family.
He had gone to investigate strange lights out on their property in the early hours of the
morning.

Police said that although he was armed with a fully automatic baby-killing assault rifle and evil high capacity murdering clips, these were apparently of no avail. The weapon was found firmly embeded in his rectum.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 10:08:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 1:37:25 PM EDT
[#46]
I say "Pitty Da' Foo"

Go get 'em Tiger!
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 2:43:04 PM EDT
[#47]
For several reasons it can't be done...but it would be cool to unload 30 rounds of tracers...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top