Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2005 1:15:36 PM EDT
I just thought I would drop some guidelines for those of you who may think about bulk ammo orders or group buys.

There are several freight companies who will ship the ammo which must shipped up via ocean freight, ammo cannot be trucked through Canada, we have no ground shipping.  FedEx is offering FedEx Ground now but when going to Alaska, the cargo gets transported by plane and therefore they won't ship the ammo.

I normally use SPAN Alaska, a freight consolidator located in Kent, WA.  I have the ammo shipped there from the company I buy it from.  Some may ship ground UPS for free, some don't.  I can include shipments from multiple sources.  It all gets consolidated in Kent, then it gets boated up here, then onto trucks to continue to Fairbanks (or Anchorage).  I haven't done this in a long while so I called them up today and asked for rates.  I'm not 100% sure if there was an additional cost for ammo as it is normally considered hazardous.  However, I was quoted to ship ammo to Fairbanks from Kent, it was:

$47 minimum for under 50lbs, $72 minimum for over 50lbs.
Rates are $26.43 per 100lbs up to 1099 lbs.  I'm sure it's cheaper when shipping over 1099, the more, the cheaper normally.

I have not shopped around for competitive rates, nor asked the cost to just Anchorage which I assume would cost a bit less.

We can put together a group buy or just all get in on the shipping and have everybodies stuff shipped to Kent and shipped up together.  I have 1280rds of .50BMG I need to get shipped up here (currently sitting in Texas).  If I had the extra clams, I would order more ammo of other kinds to add to this shipment.

If it's a group buy, then someone has to take charge of the process, collect all the monies, and ensure it gets shipped to the final destination.  That takes a bit of work and responsibility.  However, one can often get better deals when ordering large quantities of ammo from the same vendor.

Just something to think about...

ETA:  After talking to Keytrans, there may also be a hazmat fee and fuel surcharge
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 8:44:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Since I do a lot of group buys and my own ammo stocking I'll chime in.  My freight contractor charges me $70 for the first 500lbs and a fairly decent rate after that.  I can bring up roughly 20 cases of .223 for that $70.  If the boxes are all separate, they'll put on a surcharge.  If its on a pallet, the weight of the pallet is a small factor but you can still get a good amount of ammo up here for a good price.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#2]
It pays to shop around.  I wanted to emphasize that the price I quoted is all the way to Fairbanks, Anchorage would be cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 9:22:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Mike
I would be up for ordering a little bit of ammo, possibly some powder if that wasn't a problem, and some bullets.

Keep me updated
Chris
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:50:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I was planning on moving a couple trunks (100 Pounds) up someway in Sept and will have a truck to move things around with in the Seattle area if I can be a help let me know.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:34:22 PM EDT
[#5]
MGNiko, any chance you can tell us who you're using for shipping?  I'm always on the lookout for cheap shipping for heavy stuff.
If we're into a group buy situation, I could help handle some logistics for folks.  What I don't know is where to get the great group buy rates from.  Does anybody have a super source of cheap .223/5.56 ammo we could tap?  The more I hang out with AK_Mike, the more I need ammo, that guys toys can flat chew up my paychecks!!  h)

When I shipped up 50 cases of Tannerite, I paid about 240 bucks to have it shipped and 60 bucks to have it picked up from Dan.  I think I got worked over on this, as they tagged on an additional 60 bucks because they had to use the tommy lift on their truck.  Seems to me they saved a lot of time by just rolling the already palatized cargo onto the truck via the lift as opposed to hand loading the whole pile of boxes.  Anyways, I'll keep my eye on Carlisle.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:38:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Personally I use Key Trans.  When I do group buys, my main suppliers are AIM Surplus and Century International Arms.  There are a few others out there that I work with, but these folks offer me the largest discount.  
You can always order from many online retailers and even if they don't give you a "discount", by the time you purchase a large amount & have it sent here, its FAR cheaper than buying local.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:20:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Personally I use Key Trans.  When I do group buys, my main suppliers are AIM Surplus and Century International Arms.  There are a few others out there that I work with, but these folks offer me the largest discount.  
You can always order from many online retailers and even if they don't give you a "discount", by the time you purchase a large amount & have it sent here, its FAR cheaper than buying local.

I used Key Trans ( Thanks Nik )to ship 900lbs for 147 Dollars. mostly 308 but I need some more 50 and 5.56. Came out to about penny a round.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:09:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Do they ship to Fairbanks and if so, how much more is the cost?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:19:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Do they ship to Fairbanks and if so, how much more is the cost?

Don't know.  I've never seen a Key Trans truck outside of the area, but I've also only been to Fairbanks twice.  Usually I pick up my ammo at their warehouse on Post Rd.  If you get any, you can have them deliver it to my place and I'll hold it until you make your way down to retrieve it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:22:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I used Key Trans ( Thanks Nik )to ship 900lbs for 147 Dollars. mostly 308 but I need some more 50 and 5.56. Came out to about penny a round.

Wow, that's a great deal.  For what it's worth, If we are interested in getting some stuff up to fairbanks, I'll be in Anc August 17-21 and can haul a pickup bed full.
James
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:44:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Hey, no problem.  And you did make out well, that's a good deal.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:37:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Good info, I'm going to try this here in Hawaii.
Thank you Mike.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:04:01 AM EDT
[#13]
You are entirely welcome, HI is in the same situation, got to slow boat it up.

I checked into Keytrans for Fairbanksians, it's not that much different from Span Alaska.

Under 100lbs = $95
Over 100lbs = $105
Up to 500lbs = $25.30 / 100 lbs
Over 500 to 1000 = $24.30 / 100 lbs
$15 Hazmat fee

And currently  there is a 14% fuel surcharge (on the shipping rate) so 1000lbs of hazmat would cost $292.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:31:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone talk to Alaska Marine Lines (AML, a Lynden company)?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:17:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok, I used to work for a transportation company here in Alaska. They had offices throughout Ak, and the lesser 48. I spoke with a buddy that still works for them in Seattle and he would consider helping out on this matter. Since they have barges and trucks that come this way every day it wouldn't be a problem. And he is working up some pricing.

The thing he would need to know is exactly how much ammo. And how we get it to him in Seattle.

For instance I could call Cabelas and have them ship to him and he forward it on to me.

I am checking with him to see about what a pallet would cost to get to Fairbanks.

Ideas?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:19:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm in for 223 and some BMG.
10 cases 223 and 500 rounds or so of 50.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top