Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2005 7:52:24 AM EDT
Sequoyah County Sheriff's Office Launches Web Site

POSTED: 9:12 p.m. CDT September 29, 2005
UPDATED: 9:20 p.m. CDT September 29, 2005

Story by TheHomeTownChannel.com

-- One county sheriff's office said its new Web site is gaining popularity.

Sequoyah County Sheriff Johnny Philpot's office is receiving fewer phone calls these days due to residents getting answers from the Internet, leaving his staff more time to do what's important: fighting crime.

"I answered questions all day long, one on one with people," said officer manager Pamela Crutchfield.

Crutchfield built the Web site almost from scratch.

"I am totally self-taught," she said. "I am just learning as I go."

The site has everything from sheriff's sales, how to spot a meth lab and even pictures of the latest big drug bust.

But most importantly, local sex offenders are listed on the site.

"It's something that we are required to do, is to inform the community of sex offenders living in their neighborhoods," said Crutchfield.

The Web site lists their information in detail.

"What level of sex offender they are or what level of violent offender they are or what type of crime they committed, so people can be aware of who is living in their neighborhood," Philpot said.

The sheriff's Web site has been up for only a couple of weeks, but already it's letting Crutchfield get some other work done.

"My job has changed a lot over the years and it's just a different avenue for my job to go," said Crutchfield.

The Web site was paid for with grant money.

The sheriff's office plans to upgrade the site and add more features based on resident suggestions in the future.

You can give suggestions by visiting www.sequoyahcountysheriff.org.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:47:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Perhaps you should post this in the Oklahoma hometown forum?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top