Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2009 8:29:08 AM EDT
I have always wanted to own an MP5 or AR-15/M-16 that is full auto.  But the prices are ridiculous!  Unless something insane happens in congress, they will only continue to gain value.

Do you think having a full auto is worth it in today's market?   It would seem to me that it would be a hell  of a lot cheaper to buy a Class III license to own new guns for myself and not have to sell them.

I would have to trade my entire collection of rifles in just to get one Full Auto gun.  That seems crazy to me.  

Has anyone here bought any Full Autos lately, and if so, would you do it again if after having shot them?   Was the price worth the firepower, or is rapid fire from a semi-auto good enough?

I usually go to a local gun range in lawrenceville and rent a full auto for $10 when I need a fix.  When they work and aren't broken, that is.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:46:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I have friends who have them...and I enjoy shooting them when they offer, but between the price of the gun, getting something fixed on it if it breaks.....plus the $ of ammo it requires to feed them....I wouldnt consider them a investment...just a exspensive toy in the hobby
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:50:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:51:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I plan on buying an MP5 When I graduate college. Looking toward it as a fun toy, not really an investment as I would not want to sell it once I had it
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:51:26 AM EDT
[#4]
yes, expensive hobby item.

you know what they say...if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it.  

if you won't be training with it (auto/burst settings), you should just rent/borrow one when you can.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:54:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
not really an investment as I would not want to sell it once I had it

+1.  I most likely wouldn't ever sell it either!  Therefore, never realizing the increase in value, except on paper.  That and I couln't afford to feed it, not that I could even afford to buy one.  

Maybe if the bank didn't have title to my car, and I sold it...  then maybe, just maybe I could afford one.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:47:03 AM EDT
[#6]
You can add another "F" to the three "F" theory....

If it flies, floats, f**ks, or fires full auto, it's best to rent it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 10:29:00 AM EDT
[#7]

I bought one when I discovered I had a bunch of stock in an insurance company I no longer loved and decided to trade it for a different investment.

I am glad I did, and enjoy shooting the Uzi when I get a chance.

I wish there were a local sub-gun match around here, but I can't find any.  I tried to get RBGC to let me run SG matches, you can picture how that went.

I can shoot the Uzi in 9mm/45ACP/22lr, so I can vary my expenses somewhat.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 10:41:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 10:49:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would seem to me that it would be a hell  of a lot cheaper to buy a Class III license to own new guns for myself and not have to sell them.

Except that is called tax evasion.    You must run a legitimate business.  You can't just "buy a license" and then buy cheap guns for you and all your buddies.  It doesn't work that way.  Oh, and for most post samples you will need a letter from law enforcement asking for a demo of the item.  Even if you have the license you can't just go buy whatever you want.

If you decide you want a MAC there is a local guy (1moreAR) selling his VERY nice MAC and Gemtech can.  That is the best entry into full-auto for the $$ concerned shopper.

Mark

Hey hey hey, no forsale ads in the HTF!

haha sorry Mark, I couldn't resist.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:04:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I just got a flyer in the mail yesterday.  Some firearms are going up for auction in Tifton soon.

These include some full autos.  IIRC, a Thompson, Schmeisser, M3 grease gun, M2 carbine, MG34.  I can't remember what else.

I think it is a Rowell auction.  I'm on their mailing list for land auctions.

I'll try to find a link and update if not a violation.  I'm not affiliated with them.

eta:  There is a Sten and a BAR as well.  Here's the Link  

Not a Luger in the bunch, so I won't be bidding.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:32:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm trying to think of when I ran my M4 on burst in combat.

Nope. Never.

Don't get me wrong...I carried a SAW for 3 years as well...and absolutely loved shooting her. But the need for FA is overrated...minus the feeling of shooting it. But for the price you have to pay for it as a civilian...not worth it. To me at least :)
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:33:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just got a flyer in the mail yesterday.  Some firearms are going up for auction in Tifton soon.

These include some full autos.  IIRC, a Thompson, Schmeisser, M3 grease gun, M2 carbine, MG34.  I can't remember what else.

I think it is a Rowell auction.  I'm on their mailing list for land auctions.

I'll try to find a link and update if not a violation.  I'm not affiliated with them.

eta:  There is a Sten and a BAR as well.  Here's the Link  

Not a Luger in the bunch, so I won't be bidding.  

Wow, I wonder how much an M3 will catch at auction
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:00:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would seem to me that it would be a hell  of a lot cheaper to buy a Class III license to own new guns for myself and not have to sell them.

Except that is called tax evasion.    You must run a legitimate business.  You can't just "buy a license" and then buy cheap guns for you and all your buddies.  It doesn't work that way.  Oh, and for most post samples you will need a letter from law enforcement asking for a demo of the item.  Even if you have the license you can't just go buy whatever you want.

If you decide you want a MAC there is a local guy (1moreAR) selling his VERY nice MAC and Gemtech can.  That is the best entry into full-auto for the $$ concerned shopper.

Mark

I know where theres a like new in the box one for sale too at a fair price. The guy wants to go to Disney again this Christmas.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:29:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Can't you get an AC556 for about $6k?
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:30:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've got an Mp5 and a 10" m16 post sample.  They are worth the money that I spent for them.  Would I pay 18k for a transferrable mp5 or 12k for a m16? very unlikley

I would suggest looking into the M11 and/or Uzi in FA if you just want to get into the full auto game.  

Full autos are fun to shoot but I can think of a lot of other things that I would rather spend that much money on.  While unlikley, with a pen stroke your 18k investment could only be worth 1500. (ie repeal NFA restrictions)

This is the hobson's choice. The people who should be the most vocal about repealing the NFA garbage have the most to lose by it. They would have their investment destroyed by the repeal of the law and so will not do anything to undermine it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:31:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

not any more... a uzi costs $7,000-$8,000
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:48:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:50:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much is an AC556 these days?

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:59:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All the dealers say e-mail for price whenever you're ready to buy Larry.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:06:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:16:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All the dealers say e-mail for price whenever you're ready to buy Larry.

Well, it looks like they are in the $7500 to $8900 range from the ones I found.

I did found out you can get an Inland M2 or an IBM M2 for about $5500.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:16:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I usually go to a local gun range in lawrenceville and rent a full auto for $10 when I need a fix.  When they work and aren't broken, that is.

What range, and what do they have to rent that is FA?
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:27:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought mine some years back, 2nd was an impluse buy and Im selling that one,

Im keeping my UZI for now, its worth it to me.

I bought all my MGs making less then $10/hr
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:34:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What range, and what do they have to rent that is FA?

Bullseye in Lawrenceville rents full auots.   They have a 9mm AR-15 SBR FA, they have a MP5 A3 stock (when it works, it is a piece of shit), Thompson Tommy Gun, Something that looks like a grease gun, but a little different, Uzi 9mm full size, and one or two other ones.   For $10, you can't beat their prices.  And believe it or not, 9 times out of 10, nobody is renting them when I go to the range.  Usually you can pick which ever one you want.  

They also trust you with them, and don't send someone to stand over you the whole time or chain it to the wall like some ranges I have been to.   Great deal for the money.

The only downside is you have to buy their ammo for FA range use.  That is the norm, but ammo is at a premium these days.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:55:00 PM EDT
[#26]
If I was local Id let you shoot my UZI provided you supply decent ammo and buy me a meal.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:57:54 PM EDT
[#27]

I'd celebrate if my $6k Uzi dropped to being worth $400!!!

I'd be building so many interesting weapons that week it would be crazy!

Heck, I am considering a mod to the Uzi receiver so I can make a 7.62x25 lower for it.

How many people would slap 6 $1000 bills in a milling machine and spin it up?

We're not all freaks...some of us are in it for the fun!
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:20:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Bullseye in Lawrenceville rents full auots.   They have a 9mm AR-15 SBR FA, they have a MP5 A3 stock (when it works, it is a piece of shit), Thompson Tommy Gun, Something that looks like a grease gun, but a little different, Uzi 9mm full size, and one or two other ones.   For $10, you can't beat their prices.  And believe it or not, 9 times out of 10, nobody is renting them when I go to the range.  Usually you can pick which ever one you want.  

They also trust you with them, and don't send someone to stand over you the whole time or chain it to the wall like some ranges I have been to.   Great deal for the money.

The only downside is you have to buy their ammo for FA range use.  That is the norm, but ammo is at a premium these days.

Wow, I had no idea. It is too bad that you have to use their 9mm. I'm guessing it's probably $15-$19 for 50 rounds.

Looks like i'm heading over there this week!
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:31:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Ah... the good old days....
I purchased my M-11 for $500 in 1997. I like the Full-auto stuff, I really do not think prices can go much higher, as it is becoming an expensive hobby.  I think due to the economy and folks losing jobs, prices are pretty stable.  HK sears can be had for about 12K, M-16 pattern rifles starting in the high 9K's.  

I agree with Mark in the the M-11 is a great starter gun. Get the gun and get a Lage Slow fire upper.  I have a sten conversion on mine, so depending on the upper I can go about 1400 rounds a minute with a standard M-11 Upper (with a MacJac) or 600 rounds a minute with a Lage slow fire upper.  Mark can sell you a suppressor and can have a quiet bullet hose....

From a versatility perspective The M-11, an M-16 lower or HK sear are decent choices.

If you are in the Metro area and want to try some stuff out, let me know..I have  and M-11, Sten Mk V, Sterling, Uzi, M16, MP5 and Thompson. You have to provide your own ammo

FNGfromGA
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:46:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If you are in the Metro area and want to try some stuff out, let me know..I have  and M-11, Sten Mk V, Sterling, Uzi, M16, MP5 and Thompson. You have to provide your own ammo

FNGfromGA

ooooh. how about coming over to AmClassMksman one day. I'll take care of your range time, and use my own ammo.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Naaa, prices in the NFA/machinegun market have been falling a little  over the last year. There are some listings where people think they can get top dollar for their transferrables, but that is on the high side for an Uzi.

I had a friend get rid of an AC556 for $5200 last  month.

To the OP: Full-auto is worth whatever you're willing to pay to have one. I wouldn't consider becoming an SOT unless you  are ready to throw ALOT of time and money into a legitimate business centered around this. It isn't a viable way to just get toys to play with. It'll end up costing you way more than most transferrables will, and it tends to cause headaches.

I've never considered a transferrable an investment. It's simply what you're willing to spend disposable income on, no different than buying a Ferrari as an alternate vehicle or buying into a country club
Some can afford it, some cannot.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:21:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I bought one when I discovered I had a bunch of stock in an insurance company I no longer loved and decided to trade it for a different investment.

I wish there were a local sub-gun match around here, but I can't find any.  I tried to get RBGC to let me run SG matches, you can picture how that went.

Did you ask them about running a semi-auto SG match, or full-auto?  I know that they are finicky, but how's it different from a rifle match?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:03:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you ask them about running a semi-auto SG match, or full-auto?  I know that they are finicky, but how's it different from a rifle match?

RBGC is NOT NFA-friendly.  They are scared to death of getting shut down if somebody lets a round escape the range and they get sued, or if something happens to someone at the range.  Their objection to suppressors, for example, is that someone could be shooting full-auto or rapid-fire and they wouldn't know if the person had a suppressor, so they banned the use of suppressors.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:16:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

RBGC is NOT NFA-friendly.  They are scared to death of getting shut down if somebody lets a round escape the range and they get sued, or if something happens to someone at the range.  Their objection to suppressors, for example, is that someone could be shooting full-auto or rapid-fire and they wouldn't know if the person had a suppressor, so they banned the use of suppressors.

No suppressors for pistols either?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 12:17:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No suppressors for pistols either?

My understanding is that they banned the use of any suppressors, from when I was still a member there.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 2:30:22 PM EDT
[#36]
class 3 wise the only thing I would pay for is a beltfed or an MP5/flemin Hk Sear. Now don't get me wrong I've played with my fair share. but i'm like Kblagg. I can think of better things to spend that kind of money on.

Side note here absolute #1 favorite class 3 is a pig. a buddy of mine has an M60e4 and it really is the prime example of  pure raw firepower.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:18:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:If you are in the Metro area and want to try some stuff out, let me know..I have  and M-11, Sten Mk V, Sterling, Uzi, M16, MP5 and Thompson. You have to provide your own ammo

FNGfromGA

What metro area?  South/North?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top