Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/25/2006 9:34:46 PM EDT
So, after 15 years in SE Asia, and swearing that they'd never move back to the US, my parents, as Chinese as it gets, have moved, of all places for asians to move, to Texas, specifically to Austin. While Dad spends most of his days at the office, Mom's at home by herself. So, to cheer her up, and since it's Chinese New Year this weekend, which is like Thanksgiving in that traditionally everyone goes home to see your folks, my brother and I are flying in on Friday.

I have absolutely no idea what to do for these two and a half days. Any suggestions? My mother doesn't approve of my hobby, so visiting a gunstore (as tempting as it may be for someone from the PRK) is out of the question.

Where can/should I take my folks? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:38:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/25/2006 9:41:26 PM EDT by TxRabbitBane]
Dim Sum at Tien Hong on Burnet rd.?

Chinese parents from the PRK? I'm confused. EDIT: oh... THAT PRK.... nm

Dunno, my Chinese roommates back in the day hated Austin because most of the Asian people here are Vietnamese.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:41:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:
Chinese parents from the PRK? I'm confused.

sorry. The PRK refers to "The People's Republik of Kalifornistan," where I live. I can't get things like standard capacity magazines and ARs (yeah, I'm from another planet). The folk's are from Taiwan.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:47:53 PM EDT
There is a restaurant in Lakeway called Pao's that has a Taiwanese menu (so I'm told) that is supposed to be decent (think the folks who run it are TW).

Weather should be nice for stuff outdoors (like Zilker park downtown), but the weather has been really dry.

Depends on what your parents are into I guess.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:33:33 AM EDT
ah, new years

gambling, drinking, fireworks, red envelopes, drinking and gambling
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:39:26 AM EDT
How long have your parents been in Austin? There's quite a lot to do here, but they may have done a lot of the obvious recommendations already.

Where in SEA were they living? I can ask some of my Malaysian and Singaporean friends where the best places are to get good food. I lived in Malaysia/Singapore for a few years, and the restaurant that is probably closest to the food I was used to there would be Din Ho's on 183.

The short list of things that I do with people who come to see me in Austin:

(for the physically active)
1. Town lake, zilker park.
2. Greenbelt trails.
3. Given more time, you can drive out to enchanted rock.
(for the history buffs)
4. State capital building
5. Quite a few museums

And of course there's no shortage of restaurants.

If your mom likes to shop and you'd like to spend some time with her, you could drive her down to the outlet malls in San Marcos (and maybe you could trick her into going into Cabella's on the way home).

Top Top