Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 12/29/2005 10:10:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/30/2005 1:31:23 PM EDT by PromptCritical]
In another thread I have heard how no one will shop at Keith's, but no one has given me a satisfactory reason why.

Some rumor about gunshow tables. No details given...

Some rumor about LE Glock tradeins. No details given.

Just vague statements.

No one has any problem with expressing just how much they can't stand the guy at The Gun Room. (I've met him: he's an ass)

Here's a thread to vent about bad service at Keith's or any other Oregon gun dealer.

Petagunner or other mods: If this is over the top, feel free to delete it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:17:36 PM EDT
Keiths Sporting goods makes baby Jesus cry.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:49:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2005 10:50:05 PM EDT by PromptCritical]

Originally Posted By Cape_hunter:
Keiths Sporting goods makes baby Jesus cry.

Does God kill kittens when I buy guns there too?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:52:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2005 10:53:45 PM EDT by GackMan]
I know nothing about gun shows and/or police trad-ins. I turned a couple of my friends on to the trade-in G19s they had and it was a smoking deal.

My problems are totally customer service related. It is like the whole store is bi-polar.

I've gone in there and people have bent over backward to help me.

Other times, it has been horrible... can't get anyone to talk to me, then when you do they are rude or even downright insulting.

The bad is a lot worse than the good...

The fact that you never know what you will get is a big deal if you want to do repeat business.

I'll spend a little more somewhere I like. It is a small business, I know the money I spend goes directly to them.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:09:49 PM EDT
Keiths Sporting good is the devil!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:46:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GackMan:
I know nothing about gun shows and/or police trad-ins. I turned a couple of my friends on to the trade-in G19s they had and it was a smoking deal.

My problems are totally customer service related. It is like the whole store is bi-polar.

I've gone in there and people have bent over backward to help me.

Other times, it has been horrible... can't get anyone to talk to me, then when you do they are rude or even downright insulting.

The bad is a lot worse than the good...

The fact that you never know what you will get is a big deal if you want to do repeat business.

I'll spend a little more somewhere I like. It is a small business, I know the money I spend goes directly to them.

Thanks for posting some actual information!

From my experiences, it usually depends on who you talk to
Keith is pretty friendly
The blonde woman is too
I have no experience with Keith's wife or the short balding guy
The taller guy with the dark hair seems to have this "no chit-chat, just buy something" attitude.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:27:30 AM EDT
Keiths is what it is. The Wall Mart of gun stores. Huge selection, good prices and average service.
I have bought several guns form them with no problems and will buy more form them in the future.
I cant beleve cape hasnt chimed in yet!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:22:29 AM EDT
Sportsman's Whorehouse is the Walmart of guns. Keith's is like most every other store out there. If you do your research and know what things should cost, you can get a good deal. If you are ignorant you may wind up paying $20 for a box of 9mm FMJ.

When I'm looking a buying a gun, Keith's is on my list of places to stop. I don't expect a kiss on the neck when I go into the store. If I want to BS about guns I have you guys. BSW
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:32:33 AM EDT
I'm in Eugene so my only dealing's with Keiths has been gun shows. Went to the Eugene show and picked up a Sig P230 for my wife and a Springfield 1911 ultra compact. Got a decent deal, he was nice enough so on. 1 week later I decided I needed a Glock. Went to the PDX show where his prices were $20+ higher than everyone else there. I like to return business when possible so asked him if he'd cut any kind of deal, and seeing as I just spent a decent amount of money 1week previous didn't think this was too much to ask. Well he said no deals at all, that's the price. was very rude/short about it like me asking for a discont of any kind was just putting him out.

Now Wes @ Vog Arms on the other hand is great. Gave me a decent deal on a NIB Springfield and waqs up at this last PDX show with some friends getting some ammo, range bags, other small misc to go shooting with a buddy at TCGC, well you need chamber indicator thingies there and I don't have any-BLM doesn't seem to mind- so I went and asked Wes if I could pick 2 up from him for a couple bucks. He just gave them to me, very nice no problems. Definitely a stand up guy.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:33:43 AM EDT
Funny, I have seen many details in the past on this board. And all have dealt with customer service.or business practices. My pet peeve is customer service. With the amount of firearms they sell particularly the EBR'S You'd think they would be more informed when asked Questions. And have a lot less attitude when they give an answer. I don't mind if they are the Wally world of guns. But this industry depends more on good customer relations than many. Given the politics of the world these day's

So having said that. My question for you here on the forum is how good are they with spacial orders? I would like a SX2 practical shotgun for 3 gun.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:03:21 AM EDT
Never had a problem with Keiths. I've bought 2 handguns and a shotty from them.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:21:15 AM EDT
Keith and his employees are total dickheads...most are social rejects and couldn't give two shits about the customer...

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:27:05 AM EDT
I bought my first AR15 from Keith - he was helpful and reasonably pleasant to deal with even though he was being run off his feet.

Since then I have visited his table at gunshows and found some of the hired help to be much less than pleasant/helpful.

I really hope he reads this and understands that there is some remedial action that needs to be taken if he wants to stay in business long term.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:01:25 AM EDT
I have purchased at least eight pistols and an Hbar from Keith. Excellent prices. He has been courteous to me and even sent one pistol back to the manufacturer for warrantee work. I would say that price is the name of the game with Keith and unless you know him or one of his staff you can pretty much kiss off anything beyond the price. High volume is the name of the game and I would bet that Keith has probably sold more pistols in the last year than all of the rest of the dealers in Oregon.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:36:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:54:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By petagunner:
It's a good thing we don't have any dupe police in here

+1
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:19:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By petagunner:
It's a good thing we don't have any dupe police in here

That's funny coming from a mod.

I started this thread to allow the other one to get back on track. I don't think it's working.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:30:23 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:39:27 AM EDT
The problem with Keith's store is there are double or triple the number of customers vs the employees at any one time. At the gunshows he has more employees, but the number of people walking past is a lot more and many of them crowd the tables. Add to this mix that he has more of everything and often at lower prices so people swarm the place. There is just no way to get fast customer service in that kind of setting. You have to wait your turn and sometimes wait some more.

I’ve found at the shows if you pick up a rifle or pistol an employee will be you with rather quickly. I’ve not had any problem with them. Many times just stopping for a quick look will get one to come over and ask if you need help. The mass of people around the tables is far more of a problem.

At the store everything is behind the counter so you have to wait for an employee to notice you and assist you. Sometimes it takes a while because the place is crowded. The only way to solve it is to have a number dispenser at the entrance. “Number 87, calling number 87.”

The former great bulk retailer Three Bears Guns had an entirely different setup. You would walk to the back of the store and enter either the right or left side aisle (which were closed off from access in the front). The guns were all hanging on the walls so you could pick them up for inspection. If you liked it you’d walk back down the aisle to the cash register. No having to waiting for employees to help you prior to that. Now that was a cool setup.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:44:53 AM EDT
I haven't had any problem with Keith's.

I've bought several guns from them at the shows- don't get over to their shop much.

I used to sell guns at gunshows back in the mid 90's. If you love guns and gunshows, DON'T sell at gunshows. It will suck the love right out of you. I used to get fat couch commando ex-CIA covert op veterans bust my balls over me not being able to get a .223 SKS. Then they would waste 20 minutes of your time and go buy the same thing from somebody else for $0.99 cheaper. Some of the questions that I was asked made me wonder how that person hasn't shot himself or blown himself up yet. I can understand being short with customers that have a lot of questions and more money than common sense.

When I go to the shows, I go there already knowing what I want. I don't have a lot of questions. I check prices, then do the deal. Nothing fancy. Just business.

If you want hand holding and pleasant BS'ing, try the airsoft, beanie baby, or beef jerky tables.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:43:54 PM EDT
Keith and his turds are f*ck1ng @ss holes!

Every time I’ve even slowed down to look at a gun show I get the evil eye. If I stop to look or dare talk or ask questions, they are downright rude even insulting. The couple times I have stopped into the store have been the same. His prices are not that great (from what I have seen), he quoted me $200 to handle the transfer of a Gemtech M4-96D.

The only reason I even slow down going by his tables at a show is to see what he has that is used. If he has something I want and the price is right, I’ll buy it. To date that has amounted to three Wilson-Rogers 1911 magazines. I won’t even bother with his new stuff, I can get that stuff somewhere, anywhere else. Come to think of it, I’d be willing to spend more to NOT to buy from Keith’s. As it is, I don’t spend too much money on this stuff anyway

If you’re going to the shows looking for new stuff check out what the Philomath Gun Shop has.

kythri has a good story about buying his Drag he might share.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:19:15 PM EDT
Those idiots tried to hit my hand, physically! when I tried to pick up an AR at a gun show.....ME! MR AR15!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:59:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Eyegun:
I haven't had any problem with Keith's.

I've bought several guns from them at the shows- don't get over to their shop much.

I used to sell guns at gunshows back in the mid 90's. If you love guns and gunshows, DON'T sell at gunshows. It will suck the love right out of you. I used to get fat couch commando ex-CIA covert op veterans bust my balls over me not being able to get a .223 SKS. Then they would waste 20 minutes of your time and go buy the same thing from somebody else for $0.99 cheaper. Some of the questions that I was asked made me wonder how that person hasn't shot himself or blown himself up yet. I can understand being short with customers that have a lot of questions and more money than common sense.

When I go to the shows, I go there already knowing what I want. I don't have a lot of questions. I check prices, then do the deal. Nothing fancy. Just business.

If you want hand holding and pleasant BS'ing, try the airsoft, beanie baby, or beef jerky tables.

Well I think most of us know what we want when we go there. What pissed me of is when the fool asked me why, when I told em. The F--ktard tried to argue with me. So I said thank you and left! And you wonder why people are unhappy.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:26:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By chakup:
Went to the PDX show where his prices were $20+ higher than everyone else there. I like to return business when possible so asked him if he'd cut any kind of deal, and seeing as I just spent a decent amount of money 1week previous didn't think this was too much to ask. Well he said no deals at all, that's the price. was very rude/short about it like me asking for a discont of any kind was just putting him out.

I had the exact same experience at the PDX fun show. THEN, I went to the store and got a great deal on my G23 w/N.S. go figure???

And to add, many have accuratly stated the expected service at Keiths. Hot and cold so I don't go there to feel good about a purchase. I research at home and drive there. One other point, if you call and don't ask for price you will get one...If you call and ask for a price you won't. Might just be the person on the other end of the phone.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:26:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/30/2005 2:29:24 PM EDT by NoAim]

Originally Posted By WS4LIF:
Those idiots tried to hit my hand, physically! when I tried to pick up an AR at a gun show.....ME! MR AR15!

They should have smacked your face instead!

Hell, you touch my gun without my permission and I'll kick you in the nuts!

or just say "okay, have fun".
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:44:30 PM EDT
I have to agree with Eyegun here. I have brought several guns over the years to sell at the show and I get pissed real fast because of all the cheap fuckers that think everything should be free. It got to the point where vendors would ask about it I would ignore them. I imagine Keiths deals with this crap 3 days in a row from customers at gun shows.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:15:47 PM EDT
This is probably what Keiths people are thinking....

Keith Belial and his employees Arfcom buddies are total dickheads...most are social rejects and couldn't give two shits about the customer anything they don't get for free...

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:34:42 PM EDT
I don't go to Keith's looking for a buddy - I go to buy from a guy who has inventory.

I spent about $1,200 with him this year (Remington 1100, Glock 20, Scope, misc. items)

Gackman is right - Keith's is like a box of chocolate - you never know what (kind of service) you'll get.

If you can deal with Keith or his wife directly, you'll be happier than with his fuck-tard staff.

By the way - what IS the issue with Glock LE trade ins?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:03:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pribbz:
Keiths is what it is. The Wall Mart of gun stores. Huge selection, good prices and average service.
I have bought several guns form them with no problems and will buy more form them in the future.
I cant beleve cape hasnt chimed in yet!

+1
Keiths has more selection, more staff, more overhead and more sales then anyone at any given show. But on the filp side he makes us ALOT of money. I cant count on how many times in one show I get people at our tables telling me how they were treated at his tables. Sure if saving a buck is all you want to get out of buying your next gun, have at it. As a matter of fact, I send people to his store and table all the time. To me firearms is not about making a buck but about hte sport. Back to the topic.... how many of his crony know anything about guns? Very few. I will agree with the statements about dealing direct with Keith. He is foir all intents and purposes a nice guy and I talk with him every so often. When he first started out and had two tables with few guns and a few silencers he was great to deal with! But like any other busniness when it grows to a large company it has to sacrifice certain things. In his case it is customer service. That is the #1 complaint I get from people both in our store and at the shows. I for one dont beleve that volume alone is a good business practice in the gun world. For example; I had a lady at our table that had come to the the show to buy a smal 38 special revolver as her first pistol and CCW. A VERY good choice for her. I spoke with her about safety and explained why people had suggested a small rev for her. She went about her way only to return about 30 mintes later almost mad. She had been over to keiths and was looking at some revolvers and explained to one of the employees what she wanted and why. Well the guy informs her that NOBODY in there right mind would carry a revolver and that anyone telling her such was an idiot(this after family members and friends had suggested a revolver). He tells her that the Glock 23 is what she needs and tries despratly to sell her a Glock. SHe basically had to walk away while the guy was talking to her as he would not her anythign she was saying. Anyway, she was upset and very confused and was almost scared away from buying a gun. I told her to go back over and ask a different employee his opinion on a small rev for her, for a first gun , hoping that at least one person over there would reasure this gal. She came back about 15 minutes later and purchased a lightweight Taurus from us. SHe said that she actually asked 2 other people, not at keiths and they were extremely helpful and agreed with myself and her family members that had suggested a revolver. My point is that Keiths while a very succeful venture is not always the best choice for everyone and will often push only the items they stock regardless of situation.

As for the rumors, I aint going to further spread them. Its pointless. But please dont dont defend them unless you know what your talking about. Makes sense to you may not to make sense to another dealer.

CH

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:35:59 PM EDT
I couldn't agree to your post more Cape....

I would just add it is definately a two way street. You having been behind a table would know that all to well. If you have been doing it for a while you can see "that guy" coming a mile a way. And...There isn't a dealer/vendor out there that has kept them all happy. Some just have a better batting average...

Cheers
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:39:47 PM EDT
CDNN sells a bazillion guns, and they have GREAT customer support and service.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:45:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:12:37 PM EDT

True. They even send me free stuff that I didn't order every once in a while.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:39:40 AM EDT

Where the hell is CDNN, all I can find is a website with gun accessories?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:28:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By draver:

Where the hell is CDNN, all I can find is a website with gun accessories?

They don't list their guns directly on their webpage. You can download a pdf of their catalog at:

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/dowournewcat.html

You can also just call their 800 number and ask for models and pricing.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:48:59 AM EDT
I've heard a few complaints about Keith's over the years but I've always had good luck dealing with him and his crew. The only employee that I utterly dislike is the fat balding guy. Everyone else who works in his shop has been fairly cool even if clueless about guns. I NEVER go to a gun show or shop to ask questions about guns and I really pity those that do.

You get a slightly better quality of service in his shop than you do at the show. Unfortunately, with the large number of tables he occupies, he has to hire a bunch of warm bodies to "help" customers. Keith's overwhelms all the other vendors in selection, and that makes his tables really popular with gawkers as well as buyers. I've sent a lot of folks to his tables in the past to "try on" every gun they see. If I'm dealing with Keith's I always make sure to talk to Keith or one of his regular employees and I avoid all of his gun show mercenaries.

When I go to a show I typically walk the entire floor before I buy anything unless I trip over a fantastic deal or something in short supply. Then I return to the best prices I've found on whatever I'm looking for. More than once that price has been at Keith's, but I've also had good luck with pricing at other tables: Philomath, Gun Town(I really miss these guys, they had a great selection), and even Don's Guns(hard to beleive I know).

If you want great service it's a good idea to steer clear of Keith's. Several smaller dealers provide great service and support. I recently purchased a suppressor from Tom Denall (TDMFG) and he has provided excellent service and support. From making a custom thread protector to answering a myriad of questions I had about threading, cleaning, etc he has always provided service with a smile. I could have "saved" $30-$40 on the suppressor buying it from someone out of state, but I think I made the right call. If you want/need good service, you probably won't get it for free.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:23:59 AM EDT
I bought my SA XD 9 form Keiths, no problems whatsoever. I think its an alright gun shop, just too far from my location so they dont get my $$$ that often.

Now on the other hand, Phoenix Armory in oregon city is the shit! Best AR15/Tactical oriented gun shop ive been too, and the owner is an excellent person to do business with. A few times Ive gone in looking for a small ar part like a roll pin or spring, and he'd give it to me for free Good prices, and great selection
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:17:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2005 11:17:59 AM EDT by Cape_hunter]
BTW, nice thread title. Maybe you should ad the part about having sand inyour mangina!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:19:24 PM EDT
No problems with Keith's. I don't expect a reach around--I go there to buy guns, not to make friends. Their prices are generally fair, but not stellar. That said, last time I went there I noticed that their 6920 prices were beyond ridiculous--apparently trying to soak suckers for all they're worth. Also bought a used Kimber from them that was a serious jam-o-matic. Every malf in the book. But that's not necessarily Keith's fault. Not like they can test every used gun they buy. Overall I'd have to say I like Keith's. I'd rather spend my money there than at Sportsmans. But you should know what the going price is before you go there, otherwise you're a sucker.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:46:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Saguaro:
I don't expect a reach around
I go there to buy guns, not to make friends.
Their prices are generally fair, but not stellar.
But you should know what the going price is before you go there, otherwise you're a sucker.

+1

reach around
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:30:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By double_trouble_2003:
reach around

I wouldn't want a reach around from Keith either. SICK PERVERTED BASTARD!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:33:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/2/2006 1:41:08 AM EDT by Gunkata]
I really don't mind keith's that much except that sometimes you ask Keith a question and then he will direct you to ask another (employee) person.. it' travels around the store until it get's to keith and then back to me again.. it just makes no god dam sense!.. it's not just insulting.. If anything it's WASTING MY TIME!. it's not being rude but rather illogical. as in they think they are doing something right but have no idea what they are doing. Organization and Prioritizing can help a business go a long way.

editted to add: For those who feel that you should know exactly what you want before going into a gun shop. I agree with you to a certain extent. That would however not be shopping. Sometimes you will see something that you didn't plan on getting but since you were there wanted to know a little about and may purchase that. I mean come on.. I'm not going into Keith's in Gresham to buy something see a gun you would like to know a little bit about and go all the way back to Tigard and look it up online. give me a break. So what i'm saying is if i had a Question it should at least be dignified with A.) "i'm sorry i don't know about that gun" or B.)" I can get the manual for you and you can check it yourself".. and definitely not C.)"no words" picks up phone, counter dork calls wife and or I'll be right back.. goes to help someone else even though you were first.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:09:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By christ0ph:
I bought my SA XD 9 form Keiths, no problems whatsoever. I think its an alright gun shop, just too far from my location so they dont get my $$$ that often.

Now on the other hand, Phoenix Armory in oregon city is the shit! Best AR15/Tactical oriented gun shop ive been too, and the owner is an excellent person to do business with. A few times Ive gone in looking for a small ar part like a roll pin or spring, and he'd give it to me for free Good prices, and great selection

+1..........where else you gonna find an ectractor at 2 o'clock on a Saturday
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:57:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ch139:

Good story?

Robert is a douche.

I like Keith. Got my NDM-86 (7.62x54R) and my DSA Para Carbine from them, good deals.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:26:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kythri:

Originally Posted By ch139:

Good story?

Robert is a douche.

I like Keith. Got my NDM-86 (7.62x54R) and my DSA Para Carbine from them, good deals.

Two questions: Which one is Robert, and how much did you pay for the DSA? Last I checked it was $1359.00...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:44:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PromptCritical:
Two questions: Which one is Robert, and how much did you pay for the DSA? Last I checked it was $1359.00...

Robert is the darker-haired guy, starting to salt-and-pepper, wanna-be prettyboy. Several times I've asked about a gun, or attempted to haggle, and he's been a complete dick about it, refusing to haggle, and being snippy with the questions.

Keith, on the other hand, has haggled and answered all of my questions.

I payed $1250 for the DSA, I think? It was a good deal to me, for what it was - I couldn't have assembled one myself for much less - plus, you know, it's DSA, which is cool.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:46:07 AM EDT
hate em'
I did buy a handgun from them at a gun show because they had the best price there. The service in their shop blows. Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:18:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kythri:

Originally Posted By PromptCritical:

Robert is the darker-haired guy, starting to salt-and-pepper, wanna-be prettyboy. Several times I've asked about a gun, or attempted to haggle, and he's been a complete dick about it, refusing to haggle, and being snippy with the questions.

Keith, on the other hand, has haggled and answered all of my questions.

I payed $1250 for the DSA, I think? It was a good deal to me, for what it was - I couldn't have assembled one myself for much less - plus, you know, it's DSA, which is cool.

Yeah, I know that guy, kindof a dick ain't he?

That's a pretty good price for the DSA. I want one. Maybe they'll cut me a deal if i trade in the CAI, btu it would probably be better if I just sell the thing...
Top Top