Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2006 8:25:21 AM EDT
My boy Matt has gone all scientific in planting these food plants for deer. I tore up about 3/4 of an acre, disced, plowed, disced again, etc. He's telling me I now to use a "cultipacker" on it to get it flat as possible. I've told him that what a bed spring drag is for!
Last night we went to move the tractor off the bottom in case we got a toad strangler of a rain. We walk over and look at all the deer tracks in the fresh dirt. He's telling me the soil is too sandy in this spot and just right in that spot!
I'm gonna throttle his ass if he keeps it up!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:33:29 AM EDT
[#1]
HHHMMMMMMM.........Dan, I think I'd hand him the keys to the tractor and tell him to get crackin', a growing young man should have a few gardening skills even if it is just for deer, and what better place to learn how to use a tractor than in an open field.

I'm getting a late start this year, I hadn't prepared nothing yet, I gotta get some tomato and pepper plant, till up a plot and do some planting, I been pretty lazy last couple of years, but if I can get my work schedule changed how I want, I'm gonna plant at least some corn and taters to go with the maters and ceyannes, gotta look for some cheap piglets to buy also.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:01:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I sent off for a soil test a few years back and it said we need LIME and lost of it to get the PH right.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:21:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Z, you definitely need lime in red clay. Most of the time it isn't necessary in sand or sandy loam.
You can buy a little meter from that will check the pH from BassPro. Of course we've got one and the soil all tests in the 6.5 to 7 range.
My problem is the damn grasshoppers. I planted two acres of rape and turnips two years ago and the grasshoppers hit it like a biblical plaque. I'm looking for a sprayer this year - I'm going to use Grazon to kill the weeds, a liquid fertilizer at the same time, and an insectiside also.
We're planting some clover under the power lines - a strip 30 ft wide, 200 yds long.
Come August, I'm going to plant some vetch in one area, hay grazer in another.
I'm planning on two to three more food plots, about 3 acres total. Not enough - I'm sure it'll get ate quick. We'll see.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top