Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 8:28:54 PM EDT
This gelding has got to be the friendliest horse I've ever seen. He follows you around the pasture like a puppy. Now this is the same gelding that took down another gelding by the throat, cutting tendons.
I go out to check the farm this afternoon and he is at the gate waiting for me to come in. So I just opened the gate and walked into the back pasture and he stayed on my left side the entire time. Head just ahead of mine.
I'm a contrary old bastard most of the time, but Newton does nothing but put a grin on my face.
Here is a picture of the Newton following my 13 yo nephew around the pasture. He hadn't been around Newton for more than 10 minutes when the horse took a real liking to him.

OK, one more picture. This is the only the second time I've put a harness/lead rope on him. I've only been around Newton a total of a couple of hours on 3 or 4 occasions when this picture was made.

This gelding is 12 yo, cut proud, and still had one testicle up high. It was cut out a year or so ago. Supposedly the testicle that doesn't drop produces more testerone than two on a stallion.
That has to be the only reason he is so damn hard on other males.
Are all Tennesse Walkers this friendly toward people? CowboyDave, tell me if this horse is as good as I think he is, exceptional, or another old nag.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:35:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't remember...is he broke to ride??  Do you feel SAFE around him, do you feel safe to let young ones around him??

REMEMBER:  If he's proud cut, he be heck around other geldings AND if a mare is in season or acts like it he be heck to control.

Bottom Line:  If you have a mind set that he's a stud horse and can handle that( riding him in parades/rodeos in my opinion is asking for trouble) get him.  If not, surely somewhere in Oklahoma you can find a nice gelding.  The price you "IMed" me, I'd first ask about 200/150 less.
BUT, if you can't live without him.....your call.  Remember......he's a stallion.

Not much help......

Dave
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:40:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I forgot to ask, it looks like he's about 15/15.5 hands tall.  Can't tell in the picture??

Don't know the disposition of a Tennesse Walker..."High strung??, Race horse acting??"

Always delt in quarter horses and a few paint horses.

Dave
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:03:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Dave, he's fairly decent to ride from what I've seen. I haven't thrown a leg across him and probably won't. If I got thrown off of one, I'm in BAD shape with all the surgeries I've had in the last year.
Horses are so damn cheap from what every body tells me you can practically name your own price. I know this gelding has been used on trail rides and only acts up every once in a while around other geldings. But I guess he can get pretty bad, having cut tendons, etc on the neck of another gelding a couple of months ago.
If the owner gets hard up, I might buy him for about $300 to $400 less than what I IMed you.
But I'm guessing that will be the maximum.
I took a box blade and disc out to the farm today on a trailer. He was crowding the gate and following me around. I harnessed him, tied him up, and went down to drop off the disc and box blade. When I untied him, he kept nuzzling me. Damn it, I like friendly animals. And he is definitely friendly.
If I walk down into the pasture and holler for him, he comes trotting!
I don't know sh*t about horses or Tennessee Walkers. He definitely isn't high strung, very low key horse, and stands about 15.5 hands. As big as I am, I need a 17 hand horse.
Hell, if I get him, all he will be is for my nieces and nephews to ride. Inotherwords, another hay burner!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#4]
cowboydave, Tennessee Walkers have more human interaction in being trained than most horses.
Training to be gaited takes a lot of work, positive reenforcment, so they become very people oriented. A buddy has had them before and he was telling me that Newton looks like a really fine horse. He would like to buy him for himself, and not his kids. But he doesn't think he can keep his teenage girls off the horse.
He told me they are great horses and his favorites.
Newton is catching on pretty quick - he knows if he gets close to me, I'll scratch his neck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top