Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2004 4:17:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Wouldnt you say this thread is rather ghoulish?
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 4:25:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I stayed in the house just next to that cemetary. My sister still lives down the dirt road.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 8:13:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 12:53:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Im not saying I dont like the pics, its just a little different. I thought Id seen it all on this forum. First it was dinner pics, which I still dont understand, Those dioramas done with GI Joe men, and now this.  I see your point about old cemetaries, Ive found some and walked around in them.  I kind of creeped out by those pics.  At any rate thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 1:04:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Children and heroes are the only persons deserving of headstones.

Link Posted: 12/31/2004 1:25:56 AM EDT
[#7]
You have issues!
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 5:22:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I have been known to kick around old grave yards in my time too.  Here is a pic of a headstone in Central City Colorado.  I took it in 1987 on a cross country trip.  I was moving to D.C. and had 3 weeks to get there and I was alone.  I took every little back road I could find meandering back and forth across the country.  I knew I would never have a chance to do that again.  I saw some very interesting things to say the least.

What drew me to this headstone was the "creative" math.  I guess people counted differently a hundred years before

Here is a close up of the text......I couldn't help but wonder what people said at the time.  Did the family get a refund?  Why didn't the guy fix this?  Were people in the Colorado minining country that illiterate at the time?

Link Posted: 12/31/2004 7:08:19 AM EDT
[#9]
uuh is the Sharp Ranch ghost in the background looking to go Condo?
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 10:59:34 AM EDT
[#10]
i think it's cool to see non-gun threads. Post more of your exploration/adventures when you get a chance, WP.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 11:14:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Old cemetery's can be way cool and give a glimpse into the lives (and deaths) of people from a bygone day.  The cemetery adjacent to Silver City, ID, is a cool place to visit with many old headstones...some as far back as the late 1800's.  Up the road from Silver City there is another graveyard that has a lot of simple "Unknown" markers. My guess is that a number of transient miners who died from one cause or another (cave-ins or lead poisoning) are buried there.  There are also chinese cemeteries which are less well marked and hard to discern in some cases.  If ar10er is reading this he may be able to comment on the cemeteries up near Idaho City ('bout 30-40 miles outta Boise).

Notable in these old cemeteries is the number of infants and children. Seems outta whack, ratio-wise,  with the number of  adults.  Understandable,  however, given the remoteness of some of these places and the lack of modern meds.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 12:58:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Wolfpack, You mised the 2 most important ones there. My Grandfather and Grandmother.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 1:21:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 1:30:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Marion and Louise Stewart.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 1:44:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 1:57:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I pass through when I go up north a few times a year. My mother was raised there. Her 2 sisters still live there with their husbands and I have a couple of cousins and their family that still live there. In town(by the highschool I believe) There is a monument to vetrans and service men from the town. My fathes name is on that list. Someone in my family wrote and had printed a hard back book on the history of pahranagat valley. My mom might have an extra copy if your interested. She was selling them at the 100 yr anniversary of Alamo. Not sure how much they were selling for. My father was the son of a sheep rancher out of CedarCity Utah. His  summers were spent in the mountains of Utah, but he went to school in Alamo. He played on the basket ball team and won several state championships . Mom was a chearleader and traveled with the team, and thats how they met.
Im sure this is boring.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 2:31:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I talked to my Mother, and she has some extra books.  They were around $25-35. Since you live here in town, it would be easier to meet face to face rather than to mail it if your interested. The cemetary you were in , was it north of town a little ways? I read some of the names to my mom . She recognized the name Formaster. They lived in Richardsville which is  a group of ranches and farms just north of Alamo a few miles. Sounds like you were at the Richardsville cemetary. My grand parents arent burried there. The Alamo cemetary is behind some of the fields as you come into Alamo. You have to make a left on the first street as you come into town, Take it past the elemtry school and high school. On your right is the old school house. Just past that, you make a left down a dirt road  and the cemetary  is down that road past the sewage ponds and to the left from the dump.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 3:35:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I can pick up the book anytime you would like. Forgot, My cousin is a realtor in Alamo too.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 3:45:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 4:57:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Have you ever been to Delamar?

No I havent.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 6:00:07 PM EDT
[#23]
My grand father and my dad(when he was young) ran sheep around Delamar when they would trail them from Cedar City  heading south for the winter.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 6:44:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#25]
I like going to those old cemetaries...............lots of history
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 7:28:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Last I heard , Delamar had been bought by some company and they chained the road. Dont know if it's true or not. I was told that by a lady working at the gas station in caliente.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 8:27:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 8:34:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Cool deal, glad to hear I was misinformed. I also hear there is a healthy population of Mt.lion in the area  and are putting a hurting on the transplanted  Desert big horn sheep.  Guvment trappers have been working the area.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 8:41:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 8:29:49 AM EDT
[#30]

Delamar - BT, DT.
Yep; the "sounds" CAN be disturbing.....a light breeze carries over the open desert and slight hills for miles......only living creature I ever ran across was a snake sunning itself one afternoon. Being the fool  I am, I got there in a CAR! Two, maybe three times; at least 5 yrs ago.....VERY eerie place. Incredibly distant views. An interesting contrast to the lushness of Rainbow Canyon(??) about 40 min the other side of Caliente; near Elgin(?)...impressive visually (photographically).
(Damn lab ruined my 35mm film I was shooting for a calendar, and was so frustrated I haven't returned since....)
I remember reading about Delamar's history (maybe a marker?), a "classic" mining town's rise and fall; MANY people lived there (??!!!!)......truly difficult to believe.
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 12:11:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Wolfpack,
Next time you want to head to Delmar, let me know. I found the Cemetary there by accident. I should be able to find it again.

Another cool place is Goldfield. IIRC one of the Erps is burried in that Cemetary.
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 12:47:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#33]

Will do...Goldfield is a "commercial" ghost town imho....that's the one right off of 95 right? I like ghost towns that are far off the beaten path...it still amazes me how 1.5 million people live in Clark County and 99% of them have never even ventured past the Speedway.

BTW, I hit the edit button instead of the quote button on your post but I didn't edit anything.

I have been here for about 10 years. It is amazing what there is just in Clark county. Up around Blue Diamond nad in the Spring Mtns., is supposed to be some cool stuff. I like the area North on 93. You are right about not heading out alone. I have been in some places out there and wondered what I would do if I got stuck or broke down.
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#34]
The road that goes through Delamar flats comes out at Alamo canyon. No road signs and like you said, lots of other trails and not many signs. I got lucky and found my way through in the middle of the night when I was out there night calling. Only thing we saw was a few rabbits and a bunch of cows. GPS is deffinatly recomended.
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 10:29:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Those are great pitures.  It's great to know that NV has some history that you never really get to know about being always in Las Vegas.  The pictures are telling and haunting.  Not to hijack the thread, but do you use handheld GPS?  I have a GPS receiver on my laptop but only loaded with streets.  Would you use a topograph program on your laptop with a GPS receiver to find thse hidden roads?
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 11:00:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 8:18:20 AM EDT
[#37]

I, for one, kind of relish that the valley's population rarely roams far from home. About 15 yrs ago I "discovered" Lovell Canyon; vacant and without visitors. My last visit; several years ago, it's only road had at least 8-10 other occupants; and (seemingly) many campers there. Too discouraged to return lately......
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 12:33:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Great post, WP. Thanks for sharing.

There were a lot of diseases and not many cures in the early days. That's probably why there are so many child grave sites.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:37:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top