Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/13/2006 9:19:42 PM EDT
I frequent the Austin Skeet Range (which is actually located in Manor) quite a bit, every two weeks for skeet and rifle/pistol over the course of the past three years. About a month ago, the owner suffered a stroke and he's in bad shape. The word is that he isn't going to make it. So first, it's sad that he's in bad shape. Second, it's a little iffy if this range is even going to stay open since we all know Austin is the nutjob capital of Texas and the anti's would love to shut down a range in their 'heartland of lunacy' (even if it is in Manor). For a while, the range was down to just one man running the entire show which isn't easy seeing it's one trap, two skeet, 25/50/100 yard rifle, and 7 yard pistol ranges and the front office. The guy was so busy that he just told me to just settle up the fees when I was leaving. I always kept myself honest but I found out later that some patrons are taking advantage of it. Paying for one round of skeet and then running four or five out there. That just sucks since they're cheaping their way out of a range by not supporting it. Also, someone's been putting buckshot through the pistol and rifle targets and backstop trying to destroy the range. They had to repair the targets twice that I've witnessed.

Anyways, fast forward to this past weekend. I get in two rounds of skeet (21 and 24 were my scores) before hitting the pistol/rifle ranges. While out there on the pistol range, a few lesser citizenry types show up with their post-ban AR-15 and proceed to rapid fire. I really don't have a problem with rapid fire, IF you are hitting your target. If you can pop 10 rounds off in a second and land all on paper, all the more power to you. It's against the range rules but I don't have an issue if it is controlled. However, these jokers manage to blow a 2x4 off the ceiling right next to my lane! At this point, I quickly pack my stuff up because I think some ceramic plate body armor will be on my list of future range accessories. As I wait for my friend to finish up cleaning his target AR-15, the same jokers load and charge an AK with drum mag BEHIND the bench line AND THEN RAPID FIRE!! They were at least two or three feet behind other shooters on the firing line. At this point, my friend gets up and tells the guy to stop rapid fire and that he's in idiot for shooting behind the line. As my friend was turning away, the idiot says "Yea, walk away you punk ass bitch" to which my friend replies "Hey, F-- you. That's rapid fire and you f-- know it!" loud enough for the entire range to hear. Funny stuff! I could tell the guy was just stunned by the response. We walk off as the lone range guy is running from the front office to the range.

I don't know what happened to those jokers, but I'd like to think they got kicked out of the range with a stern warning of never to return again. It's just sad to see a range deteriorate so quickly. One can only hope somebody decent will purchase the land and keep it open but if events like last weekend continue to occur, I don't have my hopes up.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:40:49 AM EDT
That really sucks. I liked that place...everyone there was always good people....very friendly.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:58:08 PM EDT
It is a shame that it has been allowed to deteriorate. The rifle/pistol bays look like they will fall over soon. Too many idiots shoot the supports.

You would think with the bays at the end being used regularly by the TCSD that the owner could afford to run it properly. Perhaps he just wanted to let the place fade away, not wasting any money on upkeep, and then selling the land.

It will probably be covered in poorly constructed houses in a few years...
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:58:29 PM EDT
Longhorn,
Maybe when your out there next time you can see if the guy will allow some volunteers. I am sure some of the regulars would donate a weekend here and there till the range owner figures out what they are going to do.

It would be a shame to lose another range in Texas
Top Top