Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 7:49:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I was delighted to find the last two bottles of Eagle Rare this past weekend. At $35 a bottle there is not a better value IMO.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:23:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was delighted to find the last two bottles of Eagle Rare this past weekend. At $35 a bottle there is not a better value IMO.
View Quote

Hard to beat at that price. My best score has been EH Taylor Small Batch Bottled in Bond for $49.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:56:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
We havent discussed ultra cheap bourbon yet so I'll introduce one. Rebel Yell is $18 a 750mL local to me. It's pretty decent as a mixer and I drink it straight occasionally. Surprisingly decent.
View Quote
Try Jesse James. Even cheaper than rebel and pleasantly smooth.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:58:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is Bulleit Bourbon Frontier whiskey good, bad or somewhere in between?  The previous owner of our house left us a bottle and we've never tried it.  Came in a kind of cool bag called a Lewis bag.  Supposedly it's some kind of special edition but that doesn't mean it's drinkable lol.

Generally if we (mostly my sis, not me) drink whiskey it's Jim Beam Devil's Cut but we also drink Buffalo Trace on occasion.  The Bulleit Bourbon Frontier has just been sitting there.
View Quote
If you can drink the devils urine, I mean, cut you can drink anything.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:59:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'll have to look up pricing.
Bulleit 95 rye
Legends 100 made in Cumming is good which is a small barrel. Legends gold label is awful
Breckinridge reserve blend from Colorado
Jack Daniels single barrel
ASW fiddler made in Cumming is very good as previously mentioned.
Basil Hayden's
Whistle pig rye 12 yr cask finish
The last 2 are my wife's favorite

I have bought but not tried
Uncle nearest 1884 small batch
Hatozaki small batch Japanese whiskey
Skrewball peanut butter whiskey
Heaven hill 7 year straight bourbon

I buy all my bourbon once a year except for the local distillery stuff.
I'm a Christmas baby and my birthday present to myself is going to the Costco Alpharetta late November- early December and doing a bourbon run.  That usually involves purchasing some odd stuff as well as my go to staples

View Quote
Skeewball is surprisingly good. About 70 proof if I remember. The wife loves it with salted caramel Caroline's
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:05:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Wild Turkey 101 is now my go-to "cheap" bourbon. Man it's tasty neat, rocks, or in an Old Fashioned. The WT Rare Breed is really good, too, but I don't think it's $28 per fifth better than the WT101. I'm getting WT101 for $22, and Rare Breed is $50.
View Quote
Don't forget their Kentucky spirit. It's slightly higher than rare breed. Different taste.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:09:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is Bulleit Bourbon Frontier whiskey good, bad or somewhere in between?  The previous owner of our house left us a bottle and we've never tried it.  Came in a kind of cool bag called a Lewis bag.  Supposedly it's some kind of special edition but that doesn't mean it's drinkable lol.

Generally if we (mostly my sis, not me) drink whiskey it's Jim Beam Devil's Cut but we also drink Buffalo Trace on occasion.  The Bulleit Bourbon Frontier has just been sitting there.

Bullet makes good stuff. I like their 10yr and single barrel.

I have done tours at Four Rose's, Wild turkey, Jim beam, makers, and JD in Tenn. All great tours and tastings. All the bourbons are pretty much the same with slightly different process n mash blend.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:48:41 PM EDT
[#9]
A new one to me is Elijah Craig Small Batch.  It's around 94 proof, and just under $30 down by my house.  It's good straight, or in an Old Fashioned, but not so good on the rocks for some reason.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:07:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:02:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt I've ever had "good" whiskey so I don't have much of a base line to go with.  I did try some Jameson of some kind that surprised me because it didn't taste like...well, whiskey.  Which was good.  I dont know if it qualified as "good whiskey" though.  Didn't suck so seemed pretty good for whiskey.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:28:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I've found myself drinking less bourbon and more rye lately. Especially the ones with high rye content. Typically Rittenhouse Rye (~$24/bottle) but occasionally Whistlepig when I want something nicer. High West has some good ones too.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:45:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I doubt I've ever had "good" whiskey so I don't have much of a base line to go with.  I did try some Jameson of some kind that surprised me because it didn't taste like...well, whiskey.  Which was good.  I dont know if it qualified as "good whiskey" though.  Didn't suck so seemed pretty good for whiskey.
View Quote
Jameson's is pretty good whiskey. Their black barrel is even better. I really miss their 12 year old.  Now we're talking Irish whiskey not bourbon. All bourbon is whiskey but not all whiskey is bourbon. You can go down a pretty deep rabbit hole with the Irish stuff.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:51:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Jameson's is pretty good whiskey. Their black barrel is even better. I really miss their 12 year old.  Now we're talking Irish whiskey not bourbon. All bourbon is whiskey but not all whiskey is bourbon. You can go down a pretty deep rabbit hole with the Irish stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a brief aside, I've always liked the Black Bush from Bushmills.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:05:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

As a brief aside, I've always liked the Black Bush from Bushmills.
View Quote
This starts the rabbit hole. That's a malted whiskey. Way too many different taste to compare.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:24:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:40:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ok you touched a topic I'm qood with. My wife and I spent a day at the Jameson and bushmill distillery  trying to decide which tasted better. For our endeavors we each recieved a private lable distiller edition bottle from Jamesons
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 5:14:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:58:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ok you touched a topic I'm qood with. My wife and I spent a day at the Jameson and bushmill distillery  trying to decide which tasted better. For our endeavors we each recieved a private lable distiller edition bottle from Jamesons
View Quote
My best friend went and brought me back this Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:03:03 AM EDT
[#20]
I've recently come across several new bottles I've really enjoyed. Koval has 110 Proof rye that's essentially a fully organic, non-GMO sourced product. I think of it as a health drink myself. Nashville Barrel Company has one of the most delicious ryes I've tasted in recent years, very complex and full of flavor. I recently had my first taste of Ancient Age 10. It's hands down the cheapest bourbon I've had in a while, and it way outhit its price range with performance.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 12:29:23 PM EDT
[#22]
So, six or seven years ago, I signed up to the Maker's Mark website to become an "ambassador" for the brand.  Basically it just means I'm a modern age fanboi.  When you do, they put your name on a plaque on the front of one of the barrels (along with everybody else that signed up that day).  "Your" barrel goes through its natural aging process, and eventually they send you an email saying that "your" barrel is finally ready for pouring.  You get to go to their distillery, take a tour, and bring home as many bottles out of "your" barrel as you want to pay for.

So I went up to Loretto, KY over the weekend, and came home with five of these...

Attachment Attached File

I also came home with a couple bottles of other stuff, but that's neither here nor there.  The tour was neat.  Having bottles with my actual name on them is also neat.  I'm glad I did it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 11:46:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Tried Angel's Envy this past weekend port cask. Awesome stuff. Also tried knob creek 15 yr old. Both went down to easy.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top