Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2015 4:54:48 PM EDT
Is it worth going to?  I've been on this world for 39 years all in Texas and i have never gone, is it worth the money?
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 5:46:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Everyone should go at least once.  You can conceal carry, just check in with the LEO at the gate.

Bonus points for going on the day of the Red River Showdown or the Prairie View vs. Grambling game!  
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Everyone should go at least once.  You can conceal carry, just check in with the LEO at the gate.

Bonus points for going on the day of the Red River Showdown or the Prairie View vs. Grambling game!  
View Quote

haven't been in 20 years, planning on going this year..best time is after sundown and be sure to wear your Flag of the army of Northern Virginia jacket.

there's some nights you may NOT want to go..Country Western red neck Night, Biker night, Fiddy Cent Night,  Gloria Trevi night..
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 7:57:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View Quote
The gate I go in has a CHL line.  You present license and walk right in.  The past couple times it was basically a move to the front of the line kinda deal.  It may well depend on which entrance you hit though.  

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Texas/OU weekend is the only time I would not recommend going to the State Fair of Texas. I would avoid downtown Dallas that entire weekend as well, (starting Friday night). I used to go every year in my early to mid twenties. I realized at about age 30 that it was no longer fun for me.

Fresh cornydogs are better at the fair. Fair exclusive  foods are everywhere. Don't eat before arriving.

Pay for the most expensive parking available. It is worth it.

Go during the week if you can swing it. Make sure it is not a "school student fair day" on the day you go.

An entire funnel cake will make you feel like crap for a while. You gotta do it.

Leave before, or shortly after dark. No exceptions.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:30:28 PM EDT
[#5]
You have to go at least once!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:52:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info guys!
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 10:46:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Perfect place to take young kids and swing by the new car show.  Plenty of fried food but be careful which weekend due to certain college football games.  Be careful about the locals flagging you for paid parking and it would be best to take DART to front gate.

Also, schools give out free tickets to students so you'd might also want to know what days schools attend.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#8]
It's totally worth it, but you have to have a plan.  There are tons of cool shows and fun things, but they occur at set times during the day, so you have to plan where to be in the park to catch each thing.

Some of the ones I like include:
BMX bike stunt show
Frisbee catching dog show
Pig races!
I don't think they have the bird show anymore, but it was always worth it.

Oh, and the bands -- find out who is playing at what stage so you can catch their show.  I always like the Kildares -- great musicians!

And go see the exhibits like the model trains, the giant butter sculpture, and get your free samples of ice cream!

Read the program they give you and plan, plan, plan to make sure you take in all the good stuff, in addition to all the new cars, the midway games, etc.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 2:44:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Oh, and the bands -- find out who is playing at what stage so you can catch their show.  I always like the Kildares -- great musicians!
View Quote

What this guy said...  Dr Pepper Stage.  And unless things have change, the outside bar right next to the stage has the cheapest beer I've found at the Fair.  

The bad news is that The Killdares will only be there for the first week of the Fair.  Not sure why.  

I've bought a season pass the last couple of years since I normally go at least twice.  

And if you pre-order coupons/tickets and use the code "TexasStar" you'll save 10% on coupons, $3 on a general admission ticket and $10 on a season pass.  

Other specials:

• Bring an empty Dr Pepper can on Tuesdays - $5 entrance.  

• Bring 4 cans of food on Wednesdays - $4 entrance.

• Bring an empty 20oz Coke bottle on Thursdays - $6 entrance.  

• 60 or older - get in free on Thursdays.

Unless you're a huge fan or a glutton for abuse, AVOID Texas-OU game day, especially after the game.  

Yeah, I'm a fan(atic) for the State Fair.  I'll be there opening day and will try to make the first Killdare's set.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 4:44:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I pretty much go once every year. It's a great way to spend a day.

Park on Fair Grounds property if possible. I exit I30 at Berry which turns into Fitzhugh. Park near the Gexa Pavilion. Come early and there are plenty of spots. More security than parking in someone's yard

Unless you like hoards of people I would NOT go during a football game or one of the school days

The auto show is a fun way to see all the new cars

A Fletcher's corn dog is a must eat and I like the gyros at the food court

The Creative Arts building is fun to walk through if you are into that stuff

If you like beer the Magnolia Beer Garden is a nice place to rest

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:00:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I was told the coupons don't expire.  Can anyone confirm this?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:23:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was told the coupons don't expire.  Can anyone confirm this?
View Quote

Yes.  Coupons are good pretty much forever.  I used some coupons from 2005 that I found in the back of a drawer at last year's Fair.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:35:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm sure it will be online but the Dallas Morning News (remember newspapers?) puts out a guide with a listing of all the events for the entire run of the Fair on the first weekend. Great way to plan for what events and where.
BTW: take lots of $$$$$$
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:34:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm sure it will be online but the Dallas Morning News (remember newspapers?) puts out a guide with a listing of all the events for the entire run of the Fair on the first weekend. Great way to plan for what events and where.
BTW: take lots of $$$$$$
View Quote

The calendar online at BigTex.com is also pretty good.  Click the "Daily Schedule" tab.  Pretty easy to navigate.  In fact spend some time on the website to figure out all the deals.  

Other than the hassle of changing trains at Pearl, Dart Rail is a pretty good way to get there.  Especially for us beer drinkers.  But if the line at the main gate is bad crowded, roll around the corner to either Gate 5 or Gate 1.  Shorter lines.   When the wife and I drive, we always park in a little private lot at the corner of McKenzie St and Herndon St, then go in the Pan Am gate.  Never had a single concern parking there, it's cheaper than State Fair lots and I've never waited behind a single person at the Pan Am gate.  

29 days and 12 hours to go.  Show me the Fletcher's!
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:43:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm about due to go again. It's probably been 6 years.

I take that back, two years ago during the summer I had a trade organization meeting at the state fair with one of the fair VP's and they took us up in that new observation tower. Holy fuck is that thing tall.

But other than looking at the cars, what is it, food and fiber building, mercado building, meh... I don't get too excited. I think the livestock portion was closed because everyone thought they were going to die from touching sheep or something, pretty sure it's open now. I did that stuff as a kid myself, but I think it's kind of ruined now by parents who throw down $10k on a lamb for a kid to win some show trophies.

I worked there as an intern in college, never had a problem but the staff freaked out when someone got stabbed during tu/ou weekend in the parking lot and they wouldn't let us walk to our cars alone anymore.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:52:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Pretty sure you cannot carry at any game held at the Cotton Bowl.

If you are going to ride a bunch of rides and eat a lot of food, one of the best deals is the $99 season pass combo, which includes two season passes and $60 worth of coupon/tickets.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:26:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If you are going to ride a bunch of rides and eat a lot of food, one of the best deals is the $99 season pass combo, which includes two season passes and $60 worth of coupon/tickets.
View Quote

great deal, is that on the website?

Edit: yes it was, found it! thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, it works out to be a damn good deal considering general admission is $18 a piece. There are ways to get discount entry via canned goods or coke cans usually. But if you are paying the full $18 or $36 total for two, then adding in $60 for tickets(120 coupons). It works out really well if you go twice to the fair.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:34:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Been to the fair every year of my life.. don't plan on going this year at all. It's just too damn expensive and crowded!
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#20]
DON'T EVER GO ON DISD DAY!!!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
DON'T EVER GO ON DISD DAY!!!!
View Quote

Good to know.  I think I've always missed them.  I was gonna ask if you knew what days those were.  Googled it instead.
Looks like Friday 10/9 is elementary school fair day and Friday 10/16 is secondary school fair day.  Not sure about the other school systems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top