Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2017 9:29:01 PM EDT
Took my LTC class today (second time I've taken it, never sent the paper work in the first time) they had a Texas law shield guy come in and talk. Having taken a chl class before I was familiar with TLS so I signed up on the spot. Any members here that have had to use them? And has anyone used their NFA program membership?

On a side note; don't take your LTC class from "Pasadena CHL" not a terrible experience but not a great one. There are way to many other options available to settle for a so so class.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:55:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I questioned the sales representative during the presentation at Marksman Indoor Range a few years ago about the quality and experience of the attorneys that would represent me if needed.  He gave me outcomes of deadly force stories in Harris County where subscribers to the Law Shield was successfully represented in those cases.  I asked for the names of the case so I can actually do my due diligence before spending my money.  He never gave me any actually cases, but the usual boogie man / fear mongering sales pitch.  I chose not the use their services, but almost a majority of the class pulled out their credit cards and formed a line.

I've been in 3 shootings in Harris County.  Been in front of the Grand Jury twice.  Never used Law Shield.  Used a hired criminal defense attorney.  Before I had me record sealed for other reasons, the disposition of the Grand Jury was searchable with the Harris County Clerk's Website.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:21:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I questioned the sales representative during the presentation at Marksman Indoor Range a few years ago about the quality and experience of the attorneys that would represent me if needed.  He gave me outcomes of deadly force stories in Harris County where subscribers to the Law Shield was successfully represented in those cases.  I asked for the names of the case so I can actually do my due diligence before spending my money.  He never gave me any actually cases, but the usual boogie man / fear mongering sales pitch.  I chose not the use their services, but almost a majority of the class pulled out their credit cards and formed a line.

I've been in 3 shootings in Harris County.  Been in front of the Grand Jury twice.  Never used Law Shield.  Used a hired criminal defense attorney.  Before I had me record sealed for other reasons, the disposition of the Grand Jury was searchable with the Harris County Clerk's Website.
View Quote
In what capacity were you when involved in three shootings?  Joe Citizen, LEO, other?

Were you attested in any on scene?  Did you contact an attorney on scene?  Did you, personally, pay out of pocket for those attorneys?  How much did all of that cost you?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:35:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
In what capacity were you when involved in three shootings?  Joe Citizen, LEO, other?

Were you attested in any on scene?  Did you contact an attorney on scene?  Did you, personally, pay out of pocket for those attorneys?  How much did all of that cost you?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WOW!

TXINVESTIGATOR has the questions as usual, but I'm stunned in "How the heck could you afford good criminal representation for three shootings?"  You must have some very deep pockets...

I went though the legal wringer once and if I had been making anywhere near average earnings I could never have afforded the defense, much less times another two...
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:32:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
WOW!

TXINVESTIGATOR has the questions as usual, but I'm stunned in "How the heck could you afford good criminal representation for three shootings?"  You must have some very deep pockets...

I went though the legal wringer once and if I had been making anywhere near average earnings I could never have afforded the defense, much less times another two...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WOW!

Crimenal defense attorneys are not cheap especially the investigation part. I was charged in a case in California, the attorney was one of the top crimenal defense attorney specializing in regular people that run a foul with the law. His bill was very reasonable but was only two meeting and got the case dismissed. The investigation was real straight forward and cost me just a few dollars under $10,000.

I would figure if you were involved case where someone was killed even a good shoot would cost you around $50,000 and maybe more, just for the Grand Jury.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I tell my students to check all the different services that are out there and make an informed decision like they would for any other product. Nothing against that particular service. And it is  something everyone who carries a gun needs to consider, but I hate the sales pitch b.s. and wasted time.  Students leave wondering if they're going to get a time-share pitch next.

Plus the kickback bonus the instructor or range get for letting them pitch the service borders on the...sleazy.

I don't take it and won't let them in my classes unless it's a range requirement.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:34:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
2005 Hurricane Ike
Caught 3 burglars inside building at 4 in the morning.  Fired at burglars, missed.  Burglar surrendered.  I was released on the spot.  Pistol not taken as evidence.  Police did not mention me shooting at burglars in report.

Cops witnessed the shooting across the street leaving a restaurant.  Was placed in the back of the patrol car and waited till the homicide detectives arrived.  Called my attorney while in the back of patrol car.  Police did not allow me to speak to my attorney.  I admitted to the shooting to the responding police officers and to the homicide detectives.  Had over 10 witnesses that verified my story.  One criminal was shot 2 times in the chest.  Homicide detectives released me on the spot.  Case went to grand jury, was never notified to show up.  Firearm was released back to me over a year and a half later when the aggravated robbery case was disposed.

Was robbed and killed one of the robbers.  Shot him 7 times.  Homicide detectives took me downtown because of a dead body was involved.  Released late in the evening.  Homicide cop even drove me back home.  Another police officer drove my vehicle home from the incident location.  Did not call attorney as there was enough witness that even babbled on the abc13.com, khou.com, click2houston.com that verified my story.  Just stated what happened, allowed the police to search my vehicle and property to match the story and left it as that.  Was summoned to the grand jury 1.5 years later like an afterthought (they admitted that the paperwork was misplaced and it was not high priority.  Went to Harris County District Court Grand Jury waiting room in case they summoned me.  They did not.  No Billed 10 minutes later.  Had attorney present, however he would not be allowed with me to answer any questions from the Grand Jury.

It did not cost me that much money.  I do have an attorney on retainer.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:30:16 AM EDT
[#7]
One of my shooting buddies actually worked for Texas Law Shield for around 3 years.  It's a legit company and they have good attorneys.  Even after getting a better job at another firm, he still recommends the service.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:08:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

2005 Hurricane Ike
Caught 3 burglars inside building at 4 in the morning.  Fired at burglars, missed.  Burglar surrendered.  I was released on the spot.  Pistol not taken as evidence.  Police did not mention me shooting at burglars in report.

Cops witnessed the shooting across the street leaving a restaurant.  Was placed in the back of the patrol car and waited till the homicide detectives arrived.  Called my attorney while in the back of patrol car.  Police did not allow me to speak to my attorney.  I admitted to the shooting to the responding police officers and to the homicide detectives.  Had over 10 witnesses that verified my story.  One criminal was shot 2 times in the chest.  Homicide detectives released me on the spot.  Case went to grand jury, was never notified to show up.  Firearm was released back to me over a year and a half later when the aggravated robbery case was disposed.

Was robbed and killed one of the robbers.  Shot him 7 times.  Homicide detectives took me downtown because of a dead body was involved.  Released late in the evening.  Homicide cop even drove me back home.  Another police officer drove my vehicle home from the incident location.  Did not call attorney as there was enough witness that even babbled on the abc13.com, khou.com, click2houston.com that verified my story.  Just stated what happened, allowed the police to search my vehicle and property to match the story and left it as that.  Was summoned to the grand jury 1.5 years later like an afterthought (they admitted that the paperwork was misplaced and it was not high priority.  Went to Harris County District Court Grand Jury waiting room in case they summoned me.  They did not.  No Billed 10 minutes later.  Had attorney present, however he would not be allowed with me to answer any questions from the Grand Jury.

It did not cost me that much money.  I do have an attorney on retainer.
View Quote
All I can say is "Holy Crap"
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:46:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

All I can say is "Holy Crap"
View Quote
"dark cloud"
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:42:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I use them.  Thankfully I have not had to USE them.  I consider it cheap insurance.

And Nathaniel_Hawkins...DAMN Dude!
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:59:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I also have them, I figure for $10 a month it can't hurt - haven't had to use them.  If I was Nathaniel I'd have an attourney on retainer too.  No offense Nathaniel but I'm not gonna go no where with you dude.  :)

Earl
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top