Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2003 11:00:15 AM EDT

Next week I am going to class for my Texas CHL, so is there any tips anyone can give? Such as is the classroom portion real tough, and about the shooting portion. I am confident in my shooting, but I will never win any contest.

So, any advice or tips to help me along will be greatly appreciated... fullclip
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 12:11:47 PM EDT
[#1]

Don't sweat it, fullclip.

Shooting part is very basic.  You will not any problem.
 Classroom part usually focuses on simple and straightforward laws--where to carry, where not to carry, common sense type of questions.  You shouldn't any problem with it neither.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 5:32:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I know it's a beating but read through the booklet that came with the packet. The only tough part of the classroom and test are the parts pertaining to conflict resolution.  Some of the terms are confusing especially if it's the first time you've seen them. Most of the time will be spent filling out forms and fingerprinting.

As far as shooting goes if you can keep a total of 50 rounds in an eight inch circle at 3/7/15 yards you will have no problem.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 5:44:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 9:13:51 PM EDT
[#4]
All you need to do is show up and fog a mirror.  The class is alegality, not a training session at all.  Good luck and do not sweat it, you will cruz right through...  

c
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:02:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Thanks for the input everyone I have put this off for a long time and now I figure it's time to just do it.

The shoot seems easy enough, and I usually do fairly well in classroom settings, just hate to be in a room for ant time at all. Thanks... fullclip
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 6:41:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Make sure you qualify with an autoloader, not a revolver. A 9mm Glock 17 is perfect.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:03:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Take the class with an instructor that does the curriculum from start to finish.  Lots of people do shortcuts, which only shortchange you.  You will want to take more training, particularly on the legal side.  This topic gets alot of discussion here and on other boards, a search will yield alot of useful info.  Good luck and remember concealed means CONCEALED.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Make sure you qualify with an autoloader, not a revolver. A 9mm Glock 17 is perfect.

unless it KB's!!!!

TXL
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:11:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Sorry guys, don't have a glock to shoot with. Will have to settle for my tarus 92 for now.

When it is done, I will pester everyone to death about the perfect carry gun. Will a Jennings .22 work??? .. fullclip
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Sorry guys, don't have a glock to shoot with. Will have to settle for my tarus 92 for now.

When it is done, I will pester everyone to death about the perfect carry gun. Will a Jennings .22 work??? .. fullclip

fullclip,

Carry gun...

IMHO, anything that is comfortable, concealable, and you will not have to think more than "aim, pull trigger"...

I prefer a DAO or revolver that is a "no brainer".

Just aim, squeeze and watch the bad guy wince...

I think it's best....

I know, I know...all the 1911 bigots will mention how cool it is to carry a 1911 cocked and locked and I have, but why worry with all the 1911's, revolver etc. with the ability to just point and shoot.....

just my opinion, I could be wrong...

I currently carry a Keltec 9mm DAO.

I want a car gun: S&W Airlite PD in .44 Mag (27 ounces OUCH)...

Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:39:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I just sold my Jennings too...I might, just might have a line on one of those tiny NAA revolvers in your area though.

mm
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 10:05:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Fullclip, they're right...........whatever weapon is most comfortable for you to hold, aim, and shoot accurately is the weapon you should carry.  I've carried a Kimber Ultra Carry(an earlier version of the CDP) in .45acp for about 4 years now, and I consider it to be extraordinary. I have recently switched to a Wilson Combat Stealth, but the differences are minimal.  Personally, I wouldn't carry a barrel longer than 4" in order to maximize concealibility.  A friend just bought a Sig 2340 to carry.  It's a polymer compact in .40S&W with the great Sig trigger.  Just figure out what caliber you want to carry and then narrow your choices by barrel length, frame material and grip length, as well as trigger action, magazine design, etc., etc.  I hope this helps instead of confuses you.
                   Peace,
                      Dragonfire52
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 9:00:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I don't know if this was your point or not, but...

fullclip,

Here's something to think about.  

If you qualify with a semi-auto, your license will be marked "SA = All handguns, whether semi-automatic or not"

If you qualify with a revolver, your license will be marked "NSA = Only handguns that are not semi-automatic"
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I know, I know...all the 1911 bigots will mention how cool it is to carry a 1911 cocked and locked and I have, but why worry with all the 1911's, revolver etc. with the ability to just point and shoot.....

just my opinion, I could be wrong...

I currently carry a Keltec 9mm DAO.

I want a car gun: S&W Airlite PD in .44 Mag (27 ounces OUCH)...

Carry gun?  I carry Commander 1911, C&L.  It's the way to carry and it's cool, also.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 3:54:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just sold my Jennings too...I might, just might have a line on one of those tiny NAA revolvers in your area though.

mm

When I was a young'un I has one of the Roy Rogers gun kits with a small gun that looks like that one in a belt buckle. It would pop out when you flexed your stomach muscles. Way cool then. Just maybee...... fullclip

Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:42:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

mm

When I was a young'un I has one of the Roy Rogers gun kits with a small gun that looks like that one in a belt buckle. It would pop out when you flexed your stomach muscles. Way cool then. Just maybee...... fullclip

If you do get another, please post pics, I think I remember those, but am not sure!

c
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 11:39:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Clip--

Agreed with all the above comments. Couple more FWIW--

- if you have a buddy who's was/is a CHL trainer, get them to walk you through the qual session. It's not hard at all, but I found I could slow down a lot more than I thought. Take your time on the quals, and remember they also look for how safely you handle your equipment.

- a CHL license by no means qualifies you in a technical sense, IMHO. This takes time, pratice and training. You'll want to continue your studies, take more classes, and develop muscle memory for things like accessing your gun, tactical reloads, low light shooting, tactical lighting and etc. All good stuff. See next suggestion;

- join your local IDPA or IPSC if you don't have an IDPA club near you. Moving your feet with a loaded gun, tactical reloads, learning the difference between concealment and cover and etc, takes time, practice and training. It'll help you in the event you run out of other options in a bad situation.

Hope this helps-

Best-

Neil
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top