Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2005 2:01:21 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/12/2005 2:04:32 AM EST by Retzam]
Hey guys I've been looking for places in Texas that offer training in handgun and carbine. I'm looking for quality of training and price. So far i have found these few places:
Tactical pro Shooting Center Pistol: $499/1 day Carbine: $499/1 day
Texas Pistol Academy Pistol: $550/2 days Carbine: $550/2 days
Texas Defensive Shooting Academy Pistol: $350/2 days Carbine: $175/1 day
Collin County Gun Range Pistol: $179/1 day Carbine: $179/1 day
North Texas Shooting Academy Pistol: $250/1 day carbine:N/A

I am interested in getting good quality training. As far as the subjects they cover, I'm not really sure which place covers the important subjects since i've never had proper training. I want to do the pistol training first so thats what I'm really focusing on. I really need some opinions and hopefully maybe someone has experienced some of these places and can offer some insight on who gives the best training. I know Gunsite is supposed to be the best but driving to Arizone seems out of the way, but i might try and find someone on the EE board with the cheap grey Gunsite certificates and use the money i save on the cost of the class to drive to AZ. Let me know what you guys think.

EDIT: The people on EE are selling Frontsight courses for 200 not Gunsite. Is frontsigth any good or would i get better training in TX?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:22:21 AM EST
I would check out Paul Howe's Carbine class. He is out of Nacogdoches, TX.

Paul is one of the best instructors I have ever encountered.

Paul Howe

Steve Moses wrote a great article about Paul's class. If you do a search for it, I am sure you will find it.

If you have further questions, feel free to PM me.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:49:35 AM EST
The Strategic Weapons Academy of Texas is also well respected and has great classes

SWAT click here

Steve Moses is doing a Carbine course here in Dallas next Month

AR15 notice

Max Joseph from TFTT comes to Texas a couple of times a year. TFTT
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:37:58 AM EST
This is my favorite place.

www.protacglobal.com/
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:45:09 AM EST
+1
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:03:31 AM EST
Awesome guys! thanks for all the helpful replies, I guess its time to start reading about the different places ya'll are telling me. I really appreciate the help! Hopefully i can meet some of you guys at the Hun shoot in May.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:41:28 PM EST
I have been researching Tac Pro and I've heard nothing but praises. I am looking for a carbine class now that Thunder Ranch has turned it's back on Texas.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:53:48 PM EST
If you're local to DFW, consider TDSA www.tdsa.net and Tiger Valley www.tigervalley.com

Both of their Level 1(AP 1 at TDSA) start with the basics, grip, stance, sight picture, trigger manipulation.
AP 1 will stress over and over again the basics, starting with a single shot and progressing to multiple shots on multiple targets, along with reloads, ready positions, malfunctions, and drawing the weapon. You'll hear over and over at AP 1, "Never quit, Never give up". The TDSA instructors are all competitve shooters(several are regional, national and international champions), several are either current military and/or law enforcement. A lot of the people that teach nowadays started at TDSA. Len, the founder of TDSA also has a money back guarantee if you're not satisfied, noone has asked for their money back. Len has trained many competitors, law enforcement officers, military personal and civilians.

Tiger Valley's Level 1 is very similar, even more drills on malfunctions and some movement while shooting. Tiger Valley's instructors are current law enforcement or contract security, several of them are competitors. Most, if not all of Tiger Valley's classes are TCLEOSE certified for CEs required for law enforcement officers in Texas. TJ is the founder of Tiger Valley, he's a US Marine(there ain't no "former" Marines) and an officer on the Garland Police SWAT team, he conducts extensive training for both the officers and SWAT team as well as other law enforcement agencies and military units.

Both of TDSA and Tiger Valley will give you a solid base on which to begin with. The main difference between the 2 is the personalities of the instructors, you won't go wrong with either.

mm
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:55:43 PM EST
Retzam

Sent you an email through the board.

JB
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 4:47:35 AM EST

Tactical pro Shooting Center Pistol: $499/1 day Carbine: $499/1 day

This is incorrect. The Tac-Pro courses are 3-day courses (unless you are just taking Concealed Handgun), so you would need to take a Friday off. I have taken Primary Pistol and Intermediate Pistol here and am signed up for Primary Carbine. The facilities and instructor are top notch, though. Bill Davison served with the Royal Marine Commando, SBS, Counter-Revoultionary Warfare Instructor, did 10 years work on protective details on the private side and has recent Iraq/South Central Asia experience (returned in February). The facility is very nice and was paid for by money he earned gun-in-hand. Not only that; but he can actually teach in addition to knowing the business end of a firearm. The course is more about fighting with a gun than competing; but there is overlap.

Texas Pistol Academy Pistol: $550/2 days Carbine: $550/2 days

This was the first formal training class I ever took. I took their Basic Pistol and Basic Carbine class. I learned a lot from the Basic Pistol class and they have some nice additions as well (shoot house and a separate pneumatic steel plate rig for pop-up targets). I only paid $300 though at the time and I was fairly new to shooting. If you can get Robert Duhon (the owner) as your instructor, it MAY be worth the $550. For my carbine class, we saw very little of Mr. Duhon and the instructors leading the class were poor teachers (though they were talented shooters). It appeared to me as if their main qualifications for being an instructor was taking a bunch of classes at TPA. Again, more of a fighting course.

Texas Defensive Shooting Academy Pistol: $350/2 days Carbine: $175/1 day

Haven't ever taken the course there; but when I used to shoot IDPA at Collin County Gun Range we would get people who would go take the course and then come back with immediate serious improvement. It appeared to me like the course might be more geared towards competitive shooting than fighting; but there is no question they can improve their students performance. I was also a member at this range and it has a lot of potential.

Collin County Gun Range Pistol: $179/1 day Carbine: $179/1 day

You get what you pay for... this is a good, basic level course but it isn't near the same level as any of the previous courses. I'd take a look at the April 2 pistol course being taught by Protac Global at Collin County instead - less money and another excellent instructor with lots of experience.

North Texas Shooting Academy Pistol: $250/1 day carbine:N/A

Used to shoot IDPA with the Caylors and they can all shoot, Scott in particular. Scott used to shoot with TDSA IIRC and the curriculum is pretty similar to what TDSA teaches. It is also oriented towards IDPA/IPSC competition.

www.protacglobal.com/

ProTac is an excellent value. At only one day, you won't learn as much as you will in some of the other courses but Chris is an excellent instructor and very professional. If your shooting budget is limited, this is an excellent chance to get some top tier instruction at a budget rate.

Out of all of those different training experiences, I'd have to say that I felt that I got the most out of the training with Tac-Pro Shooting Center, with Protac Global running a very close second.

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:02:50 AM EST
tag
Top Top