Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2004 9:34:10 AM EDT
Any information on the Texas State Guard.  NOT the Texas national Guard
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 9:07:47 PM EDT
[#2]
What info are you looking for? I was a temporary member over the summer before I enlisted into the national guard. I went to annual training at Camp Swift.  Real good group in Dallas with a hellava motivated SgtMaj.  I can put you in contact with someone if you need.

Basically a good intentioned group of people with a desire to serve the state. Some have served on active duty, others have not or can't for one reason or another.

reply or email me with specific questions.

James
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Contact   [email protected] for info on the Texas State Guard
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 11:01:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I met a guy last year that was in the Texas Guard, and I talked with him at length about it before doing my own research.

Seems like basically a group of former military people, and some wanna-be military people similar to civil air patrol. I do not intend to speak negatively of the Texas Guard or C.A.P. at all. We're all Americans. Just my impression.

Most of their function supposedly involves auxilliary MP duty from best I can tell.

Judging from what this guy a year ago described, it sounded more like a Kiwantis Club for former Army guys that are in love with the Big Green Machine. More power to them I guess. Hope you like to drill.

If you like that sort of thing, I'm sure they would be happy to have you as a volunteer, especially now days.

Link Posted: 1/2/2005 2:07:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:07:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Where did you get your info there Garryowen?  I highly doubt the State of Texas recognizes them as a legitimate force.  We allready have the the Texas National Guard that the state funds.  I'm a former Marine and I did one year in the National Gaurd in Lufkin.  While on shoot at Camp Swift I ran into the Texas State Gaurd.  What a bunch of loosers.  The lowest rank I saw was a Sgt First Class.  Where were all of the privates and corporals?  Those idiots are not paid and do not sign contracts with the state or federal government for enlistments.  They also don't seem to have a PT program either.  I'll be the first here to flame 'em.  Stay away from these retard wanna bes.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Where did you get your info there Garryowen?  I highly doubt the State of Texas recognizes them as a legitimate force.  We allready have the the Texas National Guard that the state funds.  I'm a former Marine and I did one year in the National Gaurd in Lufkin.  While on shoot at Camp Swift I ran into the Texas State Gaurd.  What a bunch of loosers.  The lowest rank I saw was a Sgt First Class.  Where were all of the privates and corporals?  Those idiots are not paid and do not sign contracts with the state or federal government for enlistments.  They also don't seem to have a PT program either.he

I'll take your challenge. You are WRONG.  They are a state funded militia, there are state guards in approx 80% of all states. In TX the Governer is the Commander.    I know for a fact they were called up during the Hurricanes to run the red cross shelters in East Texas for the LA refugees. I was part of them for 2 months until I decided to join the National Guard instead. In Dallas the command Sgt Maj was in charge of the rangers in Somalia, the Bn SgtMaj has over 20yrs active duty split between marine and army special forces. I was former active Marine Sgt (8 years) and I immediately picked up a platoon of pvt-sgt's when I joined. Yes they now sign a state contract, they can not refuse to respond to a call up,  no they don't have the physical fitness standards of the regular service, and they are only paid if they are activated. There are guys who have completed half of the Marine Platoon Leaders course and are still in college. Hell its what got me interested in joining the guard.  

Your bias is about as accurate as me telling about this group of loser army dogs I ran into during the first gulf war that didn't know which direction the enemy was.  Does that make the whole army stupid? No, just the ones i ran into. Same for the group you ran into.  I will admit I saw a whole lot of unsat individuals when I went to their annual training. I am more hardcore than a majority of them but they are trying and I can respect that.

I whole lot of them can not join the military for one reason or another, it takes a real hero to flame people who are volunteers and patriots. They are doing what they can, when they can, how they can.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 3:33:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I hope they're more squared away than the Indiana Guard Reserve...what a bunch of wannabe misfit losers!
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 4:31:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey jwalk, just because you say they sign contracts and are state funded doesn't mean it's so.  A captain in the national guard told me they were not funded period when I was at Camp Swift.  He seemed like a reliable source so I believed him.  Point me in the direction of a link from the State of Texas, or the Texas State Guard's web site, or something.  I don't believe you at all, but I will go look for myself.  Oh yeah, they are still a bunch of losers.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 4:56:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I stand corrected.  They are funded by the state of Texas if they are called up.  They are cannot be called upon by the federal gov.  They also have very few criteria for joining and no proir service is required, so some have never attended military boot camp from any branch.  Now to my personal bias.  When bad things happen in Texas such as ice storms or hurricanes, you see the Texas National Guard being used.  You never see any of these bozos.  I doubt very seriously that they are used very much if at all.  The web site posts all the times they have been used, but to what extent is very much a grey area.  I personally can't take these folks seriously.  They are a joke and not a creditable military force.   Just 2 cents.  Flame away.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 6:53:50 AM EDT
[#11]
no flaming here, mine was just info.   I did say that i was a part and left to join the NG. Read into that what you will. After knowing a few, I can tell you that there are some hard chargers and some groupies.

There were quite a few cops there, who wanted to help but could not give up the time for boot camp/school or did not want to be deployed. This might be a good thing since there was some chatter about police and fireman being dropped from some military deployments due to their critical stations in homeland security.  Major mistake in my opinion.

Certain unit are attempting to get called up at every opportunity and the State is using them on occasion. They are being trainined to respond to chemical attacks and are in line for first vaccinations should there be some sort of outbreak. They are not really a military force, more of first responders, sandbag fillers, running shelters etc. that use military style structure for order. Its a neighborhood watch on a grand scale. They do however have their own react force now....

I don't know about you but I'll protect my house just fine without their help.  If I am deployed, my wife can hold down the fort.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:54:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Fair enough.  I guess my big gripe was that some state guard guys gave my a ration of shit when I drove my national guard hummer to Camp Swift.  I even called this one Lt sir.  After that the National guard captain squared my away on who they were.  At first i thought they were National Guard too with no haircut and big bellies.  If someone wants to do this, then more power to them.  I would go to the National Guard myself.  Anyway, no hard feelings.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 9:08:14 AM EDT
[#13]
First, I'm a civilian and never considered military service until I was too old and too entrenched in a satisfying career (with an aspect of "service" in it).  When I was younger, health problems would have kept me out.  But I did some research on the Texas State Guard, and granted it was in a pre-9/11 world (but not by much), and here is what I learned:

Think "state-based citizen militia", which is very different from a "federal standing army" and its reserve units.  It is a bit of a shame that their name implies a connection to the National Guard, their uniforms are essentially the same as the "regular army", their gear is basically NG cast-off's and that they drill at NG facilities.  If they would differentiate themselves a bit more, perhaps they would appear more legitimate as what they are.  Having said that, I spoke at length with some folks... one was a Gulf War Vet who had gone NG-Reserve and was a co-worker of mine.  His impression (from interactions during his NG-reserve drills) was that they were beer-gut wannabe's.  Another was a state guard member, and he said they mostly do honor-cordon's for the state of Texas... but the way he presented himself was a bit of a put-off, as he fit the 'wannabe' perception in my mind.

However, with the War on Terror in full swing, regulars, reserves and NG units are stretched thinly, and surely the State Guard is utilized a lot more.  I've kept them in the back of my mind as an outfit I could join if the SHTF and the need for long-term homeland defense outpaced the supply of folks who were better qualified than I.... sort of a "career path" for me from member of the "unorganized militia" to the "organized militia".  I really wish, though, they had better PR.

Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:07:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Maybe we all should start OUR OWN militia?!?!

Just like the old days!!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 3:22:32 PM EDT
[#15]
WOW, when my mother told me "If you haven't got anything nice to say...say nothing" I listened.

I can't speak for the TX State Guard, but lemme tell you guys what we did up in New Jersey with the New Jersey Naval Militia (their name for the state guard Naval component).

1. Fenceline security patrols at Naval Air Engineering Station, Lakehurst.
     2. Waterborne securtiy patrols at Naval Weapons Station, Earle.
     3. Waterborne security patrols at the Salem (NJ) nuclear power plant.
     4. Logistical support duties at Ft. Dix (NJ) for deploying NG troops.
     5. JAG support for deploying NG troops.
     6. NJ Naval Militia boats where among the FIRST out of state responders to get to lower
         Manhatten on the morning of 9/11/01.
     7. NJNM personel spent over 9000 (that is NINE THOUSAND) man days on active duty after
         9/11

Just a short list of the things that the so-called "wanna-be's" have accomplished.  I take real offense to uninformed and ignorant folks taking a dump on guys and girls who are DOING SOMETHING.  Sure, physical standards are not up to snuff on some of these people.  Just how in shape do you have to be to answer a phone?  That is the whole concept of the SG, support.  A TX state guard guy answering the phone just might be freeing up a NG troop who can now go TRAIN.  Seems like a good deal to me.  I think these people should be thanked, not dumped on...especially by those that they serve.  

Just my .03

ka
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#16]
One thing my State Guard friend never mentioned was range time.

Also, the website says nothing about it.

I wonder if you, as a SG, ever get to shoot at the military range?

Would they let you bring your own firearms??? Shoot military ammo?????
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 5:00:47 PM EDT
[#17]
It is my understanding that TXSG  looks for folks with a CHL.  Eases the background checks and so-forth.  In NJ we had no official access to Mil weapons and ammo.  BUT  It is interesting what can happen with the right contacts.  The NG has to shoot all of it's allotted ammo for a fiscal year of they get less next year.  Believe it or not...not everybody likes to shoot and they sometimes look for volunteers for trigger time.

Nothing like the sound of an M2HB on the range...especially when your thumbs are on the triggers.  Now, if only they'd let me get on the Mk 19.

Best advice is to talk to a recruiter and go have a look for yourself.

ka
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#18]
From what I understand yes,  the Dallas BN tries to shoot with the NG, if NG lets them.  No on the personal weapons with mil ammo.  They have even used the simulators down in Austin.

I agree with other posts, their mission is to help keep the NG mobile on other missions. I left so I could get more training, not to mention paid/ retirement points.  Hell I may try to rotate back over to the sandbox for another tour.

I hope to spend some time with the state guard guys, anything I can do to help them is awesome.  SgtMaj Messer is one of the most motivating individuals I have ever met.

Link Posted: 1/4/2005 8:55:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Sounds almost like State Guard guys either perform clerical duties or walk the parade grounds picking up cigarette butts so NG guys don;t have to.

Makes me nervous since I still cannot get a clear fix on EXACTLY what you would be doing for the typical weekend.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 5:04:37 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Sounds almost like State Guard guys either perform clerical duties or walk the parade grounds picking up cigarette butts so NG guys don;t have to.

Makes me nervous since I still cannot get a clear fix on EXACTLY what you would be doing for the typical weekend.

I really think that this is the wrong forum to ask.  Check the TXSG site, talk to a recruiter, and go look at a drill ( a common practice with new, prospective recruits).  Then, make up your own mind.

ka
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 7:42:04 PM EDT
[#21]
About the Texas State Guard

The Governor is the commander-in-chief of the state military forces, except any portion of those forces in the service of the United States (e.g. National Guard called to active Duty), and has full control and authority over all matters relating to the state military forces, including their organization, equipment, and discipline.

The Commander of the State Military Forces is the Adjutant General of Texas. He is responsible for administering and enforcing the regulations prescribed by the governor and for the management of State owned materiel used by the National Guard and the State Guard.

Texas Government Code 431.051 establishes the Texas State Guard. To provide militia strength for use by the state as a supplement to the Texas National Guard, the Texas State Guard exists as part of the state militia under the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution and a defense force under 32 U.S.C. Section 109.

Link Posted: 1/5/2005 8:20:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Welcome KC...

Anymore 3-guns?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:27:49 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Yeah, or about deployments:  how much notice, how long (usually), how often, how distant, how do you get there, what you must provide in terms of personal equipment, etc.  Or how my employer would react to a call-up.  "Boss, the state guard needs me 200 miles from here tomorrow for a week"
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:48:46 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, or about deployments:  how much notice, how long (usually), how often, how distant, how do you get there, what you must provide in terms of personal equipment, etc.  Or how my employer would react to a call-up.  "Boss, the state guard needs me 200 miles from here tomorrow for a week"

Amount of notice is subject to reason for call up, you are issued orders that you can provide your company.
They buy their own uniforms and duece gear.
You have base privledges just like reserves.

In two months this summer I went to Longview for the balloon festival, Security and parking were the mission.
Also went to their 3 day Annual training at camp swift.  Recieved ID card(same as military), attended classes for Initial Entry Training(DI type stuff)  there were other classes given on shelter management.  Gave classes on drill and ceremony.

If you are interested, they are more than happy to have someone come out and watch a weekend.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:59:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I'll take your challenge. You are WRONG...  

GO, JWALK2515!!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:06:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

DANG! Been here since March 2003 and this is your first post?  What drew you out?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top