Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
9/16/2019 10:09:13 PM
Posted: 3/27/2009 3:37:52 PM EDT
so, I have these little hills all over my property,,,I am finding out it is a crawdad..on dry land, all over my fields..

anyone eat Em??

Texas Prairie crawdads
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:05:18 PM EDT
I tried pulling the things out of the ground with bacon and a piece of twine the whole time I was growing up. I suceeded in getting one far enough up to lay my eyes on once but then lost him. If you get one out, it will be a meal hard earned.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:34:20 PM EDT
I tried the string and bacon too growing up. You might have better luck with a flashlight and a net and catch them out of the hole at night. My parents said they would cook them up when they were kids in the 1950's.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:47:26 PM EDT
seems my 3 hawks that hunt the rats in my field,,there are 1000's I beleive, snack on the craw fish,

found 3 claws on top of my fuel shed this evening...
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:08:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Log:
I tried pulling the things out of the ground with bacon and a piece of twine the whole time I was growing up. I suceeded in getting one far enough up to lay my eyes on once but then lost him. If you get one out, it will be a meal hard earned.

Holy crap, I thought my and my buddies were the only kids that did that! WOW!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:13:11 PM EDT
They could have named them after any kid in Baytown, like me thirty years ago, instead of a museum guy from McKinney. Seems like all of rural Texas knew about them, just not the "crayfish expert"s at the Smithsonian. Their mud ball castle walls were a main weapon of front yard fights for us.
Top Top