Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2013 8:14:15 AM EDT
To those who partake in buying suppressors, SBR's, SBS's, FA etc..... The NFA has jumped their wait time from 9 months to 15 months overnight. They are blaming it on the shut down but a 3 week, that is 15 business days folks, shut down accounting for an increased backlog of 6 months is ridiculous and an outright lie. That would mean that in 15 days they approve 6 months worth of forms. The current pending and 2nd pending dates have been done away with and they are just using check cashed date. Please contact Senators Cruz and Cornyn about this. If there is enough response from us, one of them may start to make inquiries into this bullshit. A simple phone call or email will take 2 minutes of your day.

Ted Cruz Contact Page
cornyn contact form
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:16:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't forget the 9 December commentary cutoff for 41P, the Trust change proposal. The slowdown may mean more applications don't make the "cutoff" if the rule change goes through.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:21:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't forget the 9 December commentary cutoff for 41P, the Trust change proposal. The slowdown may mean more applications don't make the "cutoff" if the rule change goes through.
View Quote

Exactly. I think the only way to get anything done about these issues at this point is to have a Senator throw their weight around.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 1:10:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Exactly. I think the only way to get anything done about these issues at this point is to have a Senator throw their weight around.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I sent one to Ted.

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 2:01:05 PM EDT
[#4]
With the current climate in DC, don't expect any positive traction.  The first stamp is always the hardest with all the anticipation.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 2:48:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I actually have several stamps. The issue is the raising of the wait time from 9 months to 15 months overnight. That effects everyone in the process. Also the proposed changes to the Cleo sign off requirement.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm moving to Georgetown in March, and while Georgetown PD will sign after BG check, my parents in Cedar Park are in a no-sign zone because PD chief deferred to Sheriff, which is Williamson County... That defeats the entire reason for my Trust, since I want to be able to store the goods at their house when I'm out of town. It's hard for me to engage on the issue because I obviously can't vote in any TX elections, but I'd sure love to bug some representatives and judges in the area over the issue.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:17:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I want to be able to store the goods at their house when I'm out of town.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Q: If an individual is changing his or her State of residence and the individual’s application to transport the NFA firearm cannot be approved because of a prohibition in the new State, what options does a lawful possessor have?

NFA firearms may be left in a safe deposit box in his or her former State of residence. Also, the firearm could be left or stored in the former State of residence at the house of a friend or relative in a locked room or container to which only the registered owner has a key. The friend or relative should be supplied with a copy of the registration forms and a letter from the owner authorizing storage of the firearm at that location.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-firearms.html#alternate-storage
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:18:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Get in contact with your current and future Senator. I am convinced the only way to stop this crap is to bring NFA attention to the right congress critters.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:20:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Q: If an individual is changing his or her State of residence and the individual’s application to transport the NFA firearm cannot be approved because of a prohibition in the new State, what options does a lawful possessor have?

NFA firearms may be left in a safe deposit box in his or her former State of residence. Also, the firearm could be left or stored in the former State of residence at the house of a friend or relative in a locked room or container to which only the registered owner has a key. The friend or relative should be supplied with a copy of the registration forms and a letter from the owner authorizing storage of the firearm at that location.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-firearms.html#alternate-storage

He is talking about the proposed changes to 41p. With those he won't be able to add anyone to his trust without a BG check and CLEO signature. If he moves to Texas, it does him no good to store his NFA in Virginia.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:25:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
He is talking about the proposed changes to 41p. With those he won't be able to add anyone to his trust without a BG check and CLEO signature. If he moves to Texas, it does him no good to store his NFA in Virginia.
View Quote

I guess you missed the part where it said "the firearm could be left or stored ... at the house of a friend or relative in a locked room or container to which only the registered owner has a key"?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:34:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I guess you missed the part where it said "the firearm could be left or stored ... at the house of a friend or relative in a locked room or container to which only the registered owner has a key"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess you missed "in the former state of residence"

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

The relevant part is "the firearm could be left or stored ... at the house of a friend or relative".  Have a nice day.

ETA:  If ATF is okay with leaving NFA firearms at a relative's house in another state, I think they will be okay with leaving NFA firearms at a relative's house in your own state.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:24:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The relevant part is "the firearm could be left or stored ... at the house of a friend or relative".  Have a nice day.

ETA:  If ATF is okay with leaving NFA firearms at a relative's house in another state, I think they will be okay with leaving NFA firearms at a relative's house in your own state.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Has to get approval to transfer to this state first. Sure you don't need a CLEO for where you are moving to, yet.

edit, I'm not gonna play internet pissing contest with ya. Point is, contact your senators and see if they can influence the upcoming changes and improve the wait times. We wouldn't be having this conversation anyways if they weren't proposing to require sign offs for all trust members.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:30:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Has to get approval to transfer to this state first.
View Quote

There's a solution for that problem too:

Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain National Firearms Act (NFA) Firearms
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
edit, I'm not gonna play internet pissing contest with ya. Point is, contact your senators and see if they can influence the upcoming changes and improve the wait times. We wouldn't be having this conversation anyways if they weren't proposing to require sign offs for all trust members.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What Texas really needs is a law similar to the one in Tennessee:

Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1361  (2013)

39-17-1361.  Execution of documents by sheriff or chief of police.

The sheriff or chief of police of the city of residence of a person purchasing any firearm, defined by the National Firearms Act, 26 U.S.C. § 5845 et seq., shall execute within fifteen (15) business days of any request all documents required to be submitted by the purchaser if the purchaser is not prohibited from possessing firearms pursuant to § 39-17-1316.

Good luck in your quest.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:08:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I started my first NFA in August, this blows :(.  I want my damn can!
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This type of shit just makes me fucking sick.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:55:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Welcome to the world of NFA firearms.  If your individually-registered NFA firearm is in a safe, and your wife has a key / the combination to the safe, you're in violation.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:15:05 AM EDT
[#19]
e-mail sent to cruz, I just sent in my (first time) paperwork in a few weeks ago so it better go through.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:24:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Welcome to the world of NFA firearms.  If your individually-registered NFA firearm is in a safe, and your wife has a key / the combination to the safe, you're in violation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

nope. how about you show me a current law or ruling to prove your assertion.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:42:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

26 USC 5861: Prohibited acts

It shall be unlawful for any person-
(d) to receive or possess a firearm which is not registered to him in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record; or

ETA:  It's only an issue when she's home alone with your NFA firearm in a safe she has a key / the combination to.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#22]
I have already complained to all 3 of my Congress Critters.

At what point does a tax plus long wait become an outright ban?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:39:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I actually have several stamps. The issue is the raising of the wait time from 9 months to 15 months overnight. That effects everyone in the process. Also the proposed changes to the Cleo sign off requirement.
View Quote

Remember when BATFE was at Knob Creek talking about streamlining the process???

I'm glad I got it out of my system years ago, and already have the NFA stuff I want.

I feel bad for the guys just getting into it, but the clock is against us, gents.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:07:25 PM EDT
[#24]
I got my rifle suppressor that went in in January in exactly 9 months.   The check for my second AR SBR and SBS forms cleared exactly 30 days later in Febraury, so I should have had it by last week, but that was before the shutdown.  When I called last week, they said they had not even sent it to an examiner yet... that means at least 60-90 days!

At least I have 3 suppressors and an SBR to keep me occupied.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:51:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Has to get approval to transfer to this state first. Sure you don't need a CLEO for where you are moving to, yet.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hello, checking back in again. We are MOVING to Tx in March of next year, the scenario would be if the me and the family head out on vacation, I'd rather leave them at my folks place (not sure where leaving them in Va came from in the above). And quite simply, I'd rather my (fmr Recon Marine Officer/range officer) dad be able to get to the rifle and legally be able to use it than have a safe in their house they can't even get into. That is why I'm trying to get them added to the Trust, same with the wife's parents. We're neither in a financial situation, nor a logistical situation to buy and move two heavy ass safes in two separate houses just so I we can visit and not worry about retarded "possession" laws. Locking them up is for when there's a bunch of nieces and nephews running around or when you're not home.

NOW, the issue at hand is that even if I add them to the trust before the cutoff, I'd then be hindered trying to get any other NFA items down the road due to the Wilco/Cedar Park po po. The added trust members would be split between two different police jurisdictions, and under the current rules just because my folks would be on the trust, in a no-sign area, we wouldn't be able to add anything. Short of going through the Tx Dept of Safety guy or some state rep, who might change their position, that would completely shit on my plans to get a .300 Blk or .308 suppressed hog gun. No bueno.

Do any of you guys have state POC's I can pester leading up to our move? Do you think Texas legislature would put a bill in basically requiring or standardizing the NFA process, so local PD has to run a local BG check and nothing more?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:04:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Do any of you guys have state POC's I can pester leading up to our move? Do you think Texas legislature would put a bill in basically requiring or standardizing the NFA process, so local PD has to run a local BG check and nothing more?
View Quote

You could ask the Texas State Rifle Association to make that one of their priorities for the 2015 legislative session (the Texas legislature meets during odd-numbered years).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top