Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2004 1:19:32 AM EDT
Recent intel (finally released) suggests that a major player in the terror network is attempting to cross, or has already crossed into the US via the AZ, TX, Nm, CA border with Mx. I'm looking for a news link, but can't find one yet....

This is only the second time I have seen the local "border agency" begin mandatory overtime since 9/11, which suggests the intel is legit. These guys are working 12 on, 12 off.

Found a link or two:Terror threat

Wanted poster
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:51:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, Laurie Dhue told me all about it earlier...  

Thing is, they look hispanic...They are supposedly setting up shop in Venezuela or somewhere south of the border where government isn't tight and they can do their planning and training...

Arizona Nuclear Plant Targeted?

On Capitol Hill today, Energy Secretary Spencer Abraham told the Senate Armed Services Committee that there was evidence that terrorists may have targeted the Palo Verde nuclear power plant, the largest commercial nuclear facility in the country.

Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano ordered National Guard troops deployed at the plant — located 50 miles west of Phoenix — to beef up security.

But Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., told ABCNEWS' Peter Jennings that the threat was not corroborated.

Abraham told the senators that he could not divulge the source of the information, and Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge also said he could not discuss the intelligence that led to the heightened security at the plant.

"It was obviously serious enough and deemed to be credible enough that we got the appropriate federal agencies investigating on that basis," he said.

The investigation of the threat, coordinated between the Energy and Homeland Security departments, the FBI and state and local law enforcement, began Tuesday, Ridge said.

The threat was directed only at Palo Verde, not any other sites, Ridge said.

WTF is WRONG with McCain?  The threat was not corroborated but the gov put 50 troops there and Ridge said he has intel...McCain better pull his head out of his ass! He has GOT to be taking the drugs as his wife Cindy..

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:51:25 AM EDT
[#2]
... The threat of an attack on Palo Verde may be high but the chances of pulling it off with any real damage are remote. I worked on the facility when it was being built in the mid-70's. It's massive, has redundant safety measures and is heavily monitored and guarded. Nuclear power generators were among the first suspected targets for terrorists after 9/11. I’m still of the belief that future attacks will employ unorthodox methods and against softer targets. I hope I’m wrong on both accounts and nothing bad happens. But it would take a massive attack with ordnance rivaling the largest in our inventory to damage a core bad enough to release radiation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top