Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2010 12:20:25 PM EDT
I was out fixing the fence today and went to fetch a few slats I had saved from last year.  Lots of termites in the scrap wood.  Crap.  I used Malathion in a heavy dose.  Is there anything else I should use to murder these little bastards?  I did check the rest of the immediate area and did not find other termites.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:26:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Fire?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:26:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Fire?

Not HOA approved

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:33:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Use this product or the more expensive Termidor SC,

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/dominion-2l-termiticide-concentrate-p-1223.html
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:09:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I just got 2 - 25lb bags of granular Talstar shipped in by mistake. I'm gonna use it around the foundation for general pest control and termite prevention.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:08:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/dominion-2l-termiticide-concentrate-p-1223.html

thats high dollar holler there brother.  Are you sure some cheap home store stuff wont kill them?  Bak in the day diaizon er whatever wiped out everything.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:14:27 PM EDT
[#6]
the old school way was to use diesel fuel.  would that still work without lighting it up?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:26:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

thats high dollar holler there brother.  Are you sure some cheap home store stuff wont kill them?  Bak in the day diaizon er whatever wiped out everything.

Yeah, the stuff is expensive, but the Termidor is the same stuff the exterminators use. The 20oz bottle will make 24 gallons of solution for usage. If applied in ground versus perimeter spray, it is stated that it will last between 7-10 years against termites. The Dominion will cost less, make about 50 gallons, but also last up to 7 years.

Killing termites isn't cheap no matter how you look at it, professionally or diy.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:40:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Do you have to have a license to buy Termidor?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:28:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't know, but I'd think if you ask a pro exterminator they will say no diy purchase. Having said that, you can buy anything online. YMMV.

I find it interesting that the concentration you would use for insect abatement is way less than what is in flea products like Advantage for your dog or cat. The active ingredient for Advantage is the same as in Dominion 2L. The Advantage I have is at 9.1% concentration for my cat. The Dominion instructions is for 0.05 or .1% concentration for termite/insect usage.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#10]
If my understanding is correct, it would need to say "restricted use" or "state limited use" for you to need a license in Texas.

From the label

For use by professional personnel licensed or registered by the state to apply termiticide, turf maintenance, nursery/greenhouse, and/or landscaping/ornamental products. States may have more restrictive requirements regarding qualifications of persons using this product. Consult the structural pest control regulatory agency of your state prior to use of this product.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:53:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I did check the rest of the immediate area and did not find other termites.

Of course you didn't.  They were eating your pile of wood.

The colony is underground.  Surface spraying will kill the ones that you spray and possibly the ones in the wood as they travel back to the colony.  It won't kill the queen/queens.  Get in off the ground if you can.  Earth to wood contact is bad.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:04:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Where are you in Texas? Here in DFW I use John Deere Landscapes/Lesco pesticide or Estes for our pesticides. If you call them they will tell you if you need a license or not. I have a license so i have no idea whether you can without one.
From what I remember most of the restricted use pesticides are herbicides. There are some insecticides, and more are added each year to the restricted use list.

If you do have a termite infestation don't try to go cheap. Use the Termidor. The damage those little bastards can do will be a lot more than the cost of the termiticide.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:27:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I did check the rest of the immediate area and did not find other termites.

Of course you didn't.  They were eating your pile of wood.

The colony is underground.  Surface spraying will kill the ones that you spray and possibly the ones in the wood as they travel back to the colony.  It won't kill the queen/queens.  Get in off the ground if you can.  Earth to wood contact is bad.

Yep you are right.  Bigger problem is that all of the contractor fences are the cheapy landscape timbers set into the ground and that will cost $6k to replace with metal posts.  I cannot afford that at the moment.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Where are you in Texas? Here in DFW I use John Deere Landscapes/Lesco pesticide or Estes for our pesticides. If you call them they will tell you if you need a license or not. I have a license so i have no idea whether you can without one.

From what I remember most of the restricted use pesticides are herbicides. There are some insecticides, and more are added each year to the restricted use list.

If you do have a termite infestation don't try to go cheap. Use the Termidor. The damage those little bastards can do will be a lot more than the cost of the termiticide.

Jim

Thanks for the lead.  I will see if I can find a number to call and ask.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:42:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Did you attempt to order it online?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:38:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I ordered Termidor from here:

http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/product.aspx?cid=222&iid=217

No problems.

Cost around $300 to treat the perimeter of my place. Pest control company I'd had a contract with before wanted $800 to re-treat, and the stuff
they use wasn't near as good as Termidor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top