Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/26/2005 4:25:45 PM EDT
I was just reading the thread about militias and noticed that Tennessee has its own state wide guard. I was just wondering if anyone here knew about it,belonged to it, anything you can tell me about it. Since Im too old for regular military (38) and not in perfect physical shape I thought I might check this out, thanks for any replies. I am in middle Tennessee. Been here 38 years
Randy
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:03:46 PM EDT
If you're in the Mid-State area, Phil Valentine talks about them quite regularly as he's in it. IIRC, he may have a link on his web site?

As I understand it, the TN Guard fills in for the Nat. Guard if & when they get deployed. The TN Guard is un-deployable.

I have no clue as to the pay or bennies or where they meet?

Good luck to ya!
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:10:28 PM EDT
Well I found phils sight and it hasnt been updated in awhile , but I think I found no pay, no benefits, etc unless your group is activated, whatever that means, lol. I will keep checking. Thanks for the link, keepem coming.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:25:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Southernfried:

unless your group is activated, whatever that means, lol.

That means they're activated to replace the Nat. Guard on a local basis if/should the Nat. Guard get deployed.

The Smyrna Nat. Guard Base is a good example of this, IMO.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:45:50 PM EDT
The Army will accepts recruits up to 42 now. How out of shape are you? They probably aren't expecting someone close to 42 as being Lance Armstong or a recently retired olympian, so, if yoru interested make a call to your local Army recruiter. Gee, that sounded like something off a poster.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 4:13:26 AM EDT
My uncle was the former commanding general of the state guard (up to about 2 years ago). If you IM me, I can see if I can find out whatever you want to know. He was retired military (30 years I guess) and VN veteran. From what I have seen of the state guard, they meet once a month and will take most people.

Essayons
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:04:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/29/2005 5:07:18 PM EDT by scottfn308]
I am currently in the TNSG.
To put it very blunt and straight forward, The Tennessee State Guard
is a joke. Pure and simple. Don't waste your time joining.

There is no pay, no benifits, no issued gear, (you must buy all your own), basically
it is the worst of everything and the best of nothing.

It is nothing but a bunch of old retired military guys that do not want to do
anything but drink coffee and sit around a tell war stories.

They try to do a few things, like they have what they call Annual Training every
summer in Symrna, but for the most part it is a clusterfuck. My unit has FTXs
twice a year, and they have some training but nothing you cannot do better
and learn more from doing it yourself.

They have not interest in doing anything on a regular basis, or having their most
qualified people in leadership positions. It is a "good ole boy" network to say the least.

I got more real training from 4 day at Front Sight Nevada than I have in a year in the TNSG.

If you want to PM me I can give you a hundred examples of bullshit the TNSG has
given me.

Regards,

Scott
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:54:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By scottfn308:

There is no pay, no benifits, no issued gear, (you must buy all your own), basically

They try to do a few things, like they have what they call Annual Training every

They have not interest in doing anything on a regular basis, or having their most
qualified people in leadership positions. It is a "good ole boy" network to say the least.

I got more real training from 4 day at Front Sight Nevada than I have in a year in the TNSG.

given me.

Regards,

Scott

Not trying to sound like a smart ass..... but why are you still in then?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:20:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NewARer:

Originally Posted By scottfn308:

given me.

Regards,

Scott

Not trying to sound like a smart ass..... but why are you still in then?

For the simple fact of, it takes just as long to get you paperwork processed out as it
does in. I have not been to a meeting in over 5 months. I do not consider myself to
still be a member, but technically I am still in their paperwork as a member.

It took me the 4-5 months i was in to see their true colors for what they were.
I kept hearing all the stories about how this and that would change, and you do want
to believe it really. However, I just finally got fed up with the whole thing.

Scott
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:16:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By coondog:
The Army will accepts recruits up to 42 now. How out of shape are you? They probably aren't expecting someone close to 42 as being Lance Armstong or a recently retired olympian, so, if yoru interested make a call to your local Army recruiter. Gee, that sounded like something off a poster.

Well the only real problem I have is I found out I was a type II diabetic last year. But I only have to take a pill twice a day, and I hope if I lost about 30 pounds it would go way, but if not is it even worth trying if they will deny you for being diabetic.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:08:39 AM EDT
Yes indeed, its very hard to do much with very little or NO funding at all. I understand its pretty much volunteers. Kinda grown up version of the boys scouts or police explorers. The military may help you a little with support or facility use but forget getting any money or equipment.

I gathered it was more of a "for those who still or just want to belong to something semi-military" type organization. Most of the people I have seen wouldn't qualify for the regular services and perhaps they just want to say they have done somthing or belong to a military type organization.

Essayons

Top Top