Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2005 6:57:59 AM EDT
A friend of mine is getting a TRO against a former boyfriend who has made verbal threats.

It doesn't seem to impress him in the least.  

I know he runs the risk of being in contempt of court, but if he violates the restraining order, what is most likely to happen to him?

Great way to start the holidays!

Edited to add additional info:
This is the THIRD time she's kicked him out! (Some never learn until it's too late)
He's already tried to get into her apt. while she's at work. (Tried to get into the gate, but she's changed the code)
Hasn't made a direct threat, but close enough. "Some woman is getting hurt tonight"

My opinion is that since this is the third time, and she hasn't learned anything yet, then she gets our help only if she gets an restraining or protective order. My guess, he'll be back before Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:06:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Not a hell of a lot.  I suggest other preparations. ESPECIALLY at her place of work.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:28:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Restraining orders are worthless from a LE view.  We can't make any arrests on them and can only document it then if the judge gets pissed enough he can hand down something after finding the defendant in contempt.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:38:20 AM EDT
[#3]
<liberal voice on>  "Of course, it tells the guy he can't come near her"  <liberal voice off>
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:55:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Restraining orders are why God gave us Moses.  John Moses Browning, that is...

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Like said above restraining orders are useless. They are civil law only. Protective orders however are a different story. We keep them on file as hard copies at the station, along with being entered into the premise file on our CAD systems for their employment address(if in the city limits) and their home address. Protective orders are issued through the D.A.'s office, you might have to have a pending family violence case or a former family violence case to get one. But she could at least call and find out.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 to the Protective Order.  They WILL cost more.  But they have teeth.  The TRO is civil and really doesn't matter to the popo, only the civil court that issued it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:00:38 PM EDT
[#7]
The paperwork has been filed for a protective order, and a an appointment set for next week with the judge.

Hopefully this will be the end of it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:07:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The paperwork has been filed for a protective order, and a an appointment set for next week with the judge.

Hopefully this will be the end of it.

Good luck to your friend. Hopefully he is smart enough to stay away now. At least now if he is still there by the time the ofcr gets there he can be sacked up and 10-95'ed to the county or at least have a case filed. I'm sure a couple of trips to the county and the cases filed on him during that will deter him.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:53:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I thought there was a spot on the federal yellow form that asked if you had ever had a restraining order filed against you?!?!

Maybe this would prevent this "former boyfriend" from buying a firearm ever again?!?!?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top